Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 16

Author Topic: Battlefield 3  (Read 14443 times)

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
Re: Battlefield 3
« Reply #60 on: June 06, 2011, 10:41:02 pm »

It's pretty indeed.

On the bright side, I think most cards will be able to handle that. While he was playing I could notice a lot of gimmicks that they used to make it look that nice. I don't think it will be as intensive as people are thinking, similar to Crysis2.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 06, 2011, 10:50:51 pm »

I run BC2 at max pretty much. But I expect BF3 will want an order of magnitude higher at max settings, at least.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 06, 2011, 10:58:44 pm »

That depends. There are a lot of new ways of doing things that not only look better but take less resources than the old methods.

Chandos

• Bay Watcher
  • bork bork bork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 07, 2011, 04:25:48 pm »

I'll have to play this on Xbox, there is no way my PC is running it. Any Bay12ers interested in forming a clan on Xbox live for BF3?

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 07, 2011, 04:47:40 pm »

I'm planning to get it for the 360 as well.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 08, 2011, 05:17:29 pm »

I've been told that the demo was running on a single GTX 580, so, take that for what it's worth in terms of whether you'll need to upgrade. Game companies don't demo things on medium and they don't skimp on hardware. So It would seem like that's where recommended requirements will fall, and the minimum somewhere back from that.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Chandos

• Bay Watcher
  • bork bork bork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 08, 2011, 06:04:14 pm »

So apparently it's 64 players on PC, and 24 players on XBL and PSN. Guess I'll have to save for a new PC now.

Can someone explain to me why it is so difficult to increase multiplayer headcount on consoles?

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 08, 2011, 06:26:56 pm »

I'm not quite sure, to be honest. MAG on the PS3 was meant to be absolutely huge, though I have no idea how well that worked. Presumably requires a lot more time and effort on consoles with their older hardware than they're willing to devote to it.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 08, 2011, 06:30:16 pm »

I dunno, I'd guess it's 64 players PC because players can (probably? I don't know if this has been announced but it's been true for every BF game made) run dedicated servers. Dedicated player server capabilities can run the gamut of possibilities, but networks like XBL ect.... probably ball park their servers lower since they'll have to provide support for all of their players. I'm guessing having a few hundred servers capable of support 64 players vs. 24 players adds up to a serious $$ for them.

Put another way. EA will probably host many dedicated servers capable of 64 players because BF3 is their baby and they want to support it to the max. Players pick up whatever slack EA inevitably leaves.

For XBL and PSN, they don't own the game they're merely forced to provide some sort of console support network. Since they're not going to rely on EA to handle that for them....they're got less incentive to splurge on lots of 64-player servers. So what they typically do is rework MP and reduce the size to the point where it can be hosted and played from one console and not impact performance, making players into ghetto servers than rather investing in dedicated ones for their network.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 06:41:00 pm by nenjin »

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 08, 2011, 06:48:33 pm »

Knowing EA, dedicated servers = "dedicated servers" in Bad Company 2. Essentially they contract out all their servers to one company, and force anyone who wants to have a dedicated server to go through that company. I won't be surprised though if people manage to circumvent it.

All things aside, I am really looking forward to this. My wallet and my crappy PC aren't though. I can barely run Witcher 2 as it is. Battlefield 3 at playable FPS? It'll melt.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 08, 2011, 06:52:39 pm »

Knowing EA, dedicated servers = "dedicated servers" in Bad Company 2. Essentially they contract out all their servers to one company, and force anyone who wants to have a dedicated server to go through that company. I won't be surprised though if people manage to circumvent it.

They've been doing that since BF2 that I know of. Possibly even before that with BF Vietnam. They decided to turn dedicated servers into a revenue stream and it hasn't really hurt the # of servers out there when their game is popular.

It's when it's not popular that it's a problem. There's barely any servers up for Bad Company 2: Vietnam. If you're getting pillaged on one, chances are you're going to get pillaged on all of them, and there aren't that many to choose from. Same story with Battlefield 2: Special Forces. Where BF2 had easily 100 servers up, Special Forces might have 10.

YouR_DooM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 08, 2011, 07:25:57 pm »

http://bf3blog.com/battlefield-3-system-requirements/

Minimum requirements for Battlefield 3
Processor: Core 2 Duo @ 2.0GHz
RAM: 2GB
Graphic card: DirectX 10 or 11 compatible Nvidia or AMD ATI card.
Graphics card memory: 512 MB
Hard drive: 15 GB for disc version or 10 GB for digital version

Recommended system requirements for Battlefield 3
Processor: Quad-core Intel or AMD CPU
RAM: 4GB
Graphics card: DirectX 11 Nvidia or AMD ATI card, GeForce GTX 460, Radeon Radeon HD 6850
Graphics card memory: 1 GB

I'm over the recommended specs, so I'm golden :D :D :D
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 07:28:04 pm by YouR_DooM »
Gentlemen, we can rebuild him. We have the Plant Reed Fibre Thread Technology!

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 08, 2011, 07:34:12 pm »

How does that make any sense?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

YouR_DooM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 08, 2011, 07:36:19 pm »

How does that make any sense?

Just guessing, but maybe the digital version installs only one language ?
Gentlemen, we can rebuild him. We have the Plant Reed Fibre Thread Technology!

elitetaco3519

• Bay Watcher
  • The savior of Orzammar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 08, 2011, 08:55:28 pm »

I'll have to play this on Xbox, there is no way my PC is running it. Any Bay12ers interested in forming a clan on Xbox live for BF3?
hell i am!
"...my word is poontang." Full Metal Jacket
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 16