Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: King Arthur Steam sale  (Read 1131 times)

jnecros

• Bay Watcher
  • Black dog runs at night
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
King Arthur Steam sale
« on: February 04, 2011, 11:50:00 am »

So, I just got the complete King Arthur "role-playing wargame" and put in a few hours. Its on sale for 12 USD.

So far it is not much of a wargame, but it has slight rp elements: basicly meaning there are spells, moral "choices", level-ups and a storyline.

IMO it is impossible to look at a game like this without comparing it to the Total War Series, because it is the gold standard for formation-based battle simulation. By this measure, king arthur is lacking, at least thus far..but I am sure my first impression is correct overall, because there is none of the familar tactical elements from total war, such as pinning enemy heavy inf down with cheap units as you use horse units to charge them from the rear ect. Also, there are battlefield objectives that have to be captured for no apparent reason, and no matter how many men you have, you have to dedicate units to run around to take these stupid flags..really doesn't make a bit of sense.

My other beef with the game is the unit models are kind of sloppy looking from any distance besides max zoom in, and they are basicly clones, unlike MTW2. Also, unit animation is generic, rather than having individual members square off and duke it out as seen in RTW/MTW2/ETW, both parties just swing weapons in general directions. In general, King Arthur it lacks in the details that make the battles epic in total war.

However, for the price, it seems like you get a lot of game, and I am not saying it is bad, just from a long-time total war player perspective King Arthur is a bit weak. Maybe people who have played it much longer than I have can give a better review, but at this stage I would give a 63%.

At any rate, my steam name is jnecros if you wanna try out multiplay, I have not done so yet myself.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 02:34:14 pm by jnecros »
Half beard
half belly
all dwarf

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
Re: King Arthur Steam sale
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 12:49:21 pm »

You got it easy, Jnecros.  I got the game and the first expansion, along with the two extra packs, for $16... but it didn't include Druids, which hadn't been released in early December.  Now I'm screwed, sense the Druids by itself is $9.99...  :'(
"It takes being a nerd to be a dorf, and I'm more than happy to compensate."

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 12:59:16 pm »

You didn't even mention the fact that the auto-resolve option is so horribly broken that if you use it, you will lose entire fully manned armies, even if you played the combat yourself you mow over the enemy completely.

jnecros

• Bay Watcher
  • Black dog runs at night
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 01:22:25 pm »

Wow viken, its almost as cheap to buy the whole thing over again this weekend than to get the Druid pack.

And good call on the auto battle, I have not tried it yet, so that is good to know
Half beard
half belly
all dwarf

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 03:13:12 pm »

It's on sale so quickly after release for a reason.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2011, 03:58:21 pm »

After release? The game has been out for over a year.

I think it's a pretty good game myself. Autobattle is somewhat broken though.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2011, 06:03:37 pm »

After release? The game has been out for over a year.

I think he means their new expansion that I think just came out in January.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2011, 06:37:37 pm »

No, one year is a fairly short period of time for discounts, with or without expansions.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2011, 06:58:20 pm »

I didn't like it much.  I like the idea of fantasy stuff in a Total War-like game but aside from that it just can't compete with TW for my enjoyment.
Shoes...

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2011, 07:09:24 pm »

No, one year is a fairly short period of time for discounts, with or without expansions.

Steam sales would disagree with you. I see most games getting discounts at about 3 months after release.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2011, 01:03:25 am »

Its actually a decent game, and I still get patches for it, so atleast the producers care, somewhat about the state of the game.  lol.  I enjoyedi t, but I'm more than a little peeved at the prospect of paying for the new expansion, sense I've already whooped the crud out of the rest of the game.  >:(

Other than that, I found the mission-based system pretty cool, especially after playing Total War, which is completely drab and familiar, over and over and over and over again.
"It takes being a nerd to be a dorf, and I'm more than happy to compensate."

Fanofgaming

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2011, 03:23:12 am »

Archers are HILARIOUSLY overpowered.
"I love quoting myself!" - Fanofgaming

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2011, 03:45:59 am »

You can toggle "OP archers" in the settings.

I like it, but some of the missions are obscenely hard to beat on time without the right combination of heroes and troops. Running into one of those quests kind of kills my motivation to continue the game I'm playing. 

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2011, 03:20:35 pm »

I just bought it; it's downloading now.

For how cheap it's going on sale for, I'll be satisfied if it's even a little bit enjoyable
Quote from: penguinofhonor
Quote from: miauw62
This guy needs to write a biography about Columbus. I would totally buy it.
I can see it now.

trying to make a different's: the life of Columbus