Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New Fort  (Read 522 times)

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
New Fort
« on: February 04, 2011, 08:34:09 am »

Haven't played Dwarf Fortress in a while. Am just starting a new fort.

Any ideas for interesting character/equipment picks for embark?

maybe a pure hunter fort?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: New Fort
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 08:47:24 am »

Hunters are fine, except that wildlife will disappear at times.  Interesting idea though, and should keep your migrant waves and ambushes to a minimum, with such low created wealth.  With enough food stockpiles, you could easily last between hunting chances, especially with a good cook to go through the fat/tallow.  Bring along a herbalist though, you may wanna grab local plants, or even an above-ground farm.  If you set an area for restricted travel, you shouldn't have much worn out ground, and you'll be more likely to have farmable grass instead of dejected gravel.

Dwarfotaur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 08:54:23 am »

Evil/Haunted/Terrifying biome. Depart with 2 Miners, 1 Mason/Mechanic, 1 Wood Cutter/Carpenter, 1 Cook/Thresher, 1 Planter, 1 warrior type.
I cheat a tiny bit and up the worldgens parameters for embark points as you need a tiny bit more to gear the warrior type.

You'll constantly be under attack but nothing a single trained dwarf can't handle. Try and get your metal industry up as fast as you can. Then you pretty much just make enough food/water to get by and put most of your dwarves in the military.

Then you can make things 'fun' for yourself by opening caverns and what not. For more of a challenge, tinker with the worldgen settings for megabeasts and titans (e.g. more titans and attack at lower pop and lower created wealth).

Funtimes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 08:59:41 am »

Bandit fortress, steal everything. Don't build any permanent structures.

Cavern fortress, run away from everything. Gen a world with minimum layers between caverns, dig down to connect them all and seal the world off. Survive.

Vegetarian fortress, don't kill anything. Have free range animals and live off things that haven't been intensively farmed. Don't poison your body with alcohol.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 01:00:01 pm »

How about trying to run a fort without access to magma? I've always thought it's something everyone should try at least once.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes ponies for their cuteness
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2011, 01:20:40 pm »

How about trying to run a fort without access to magma? I've always thought it's something everyone should try at least once.

funny, this is how my fort's usually go
There are dwarves that are nothing but useless sacrifices - Miners are not one of them.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2011, 01:32:22 pm »

I think YOU really need to try that one.  If you're incapable of running your fort without magma, then you have some issues I believe.  Unless you're on a desert, mountain, or ocean with no trees, an old-fashioned charcoal powered fort works pretty well.