Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Does military allow healthy relationships?  (Read 2819 times)

Funtimes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Does military allow healthy relationships?
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2011, 04:56:57 pm »

and they can't have miscarriage, which can happen while training or fighting

Yes they can, there's a lovely negative thought just for it. Very rare, though.

Male dwarves cannot have a miscarriage.  This fact really shouldn't be disputed.  :o

You haven't seen my RAWs.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2011, 05:12:39 pm »

Male dwarves cannot have a miscarriage.  This fact really shouldn't be disputed.  :o

You haven't seen my RAWs.

Now, I may be a simple, country genetically altered talking chicken, but I'm pretty sure you can't make males pregnant no matter what you do in the raws, being as [FEMALE] is what implies the capacity to give birth, and [MALE] precludes that tag.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Funtimes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2011, 05:17:31 pm »

Don't get in the way of my deflecting mistakes with humour, it makes us all look bad.  :(

The point should have been: miscarriages are possible, but appear so rare that you don't need to worry about an all male military. At least in my experience.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2011, 05:22:48 pm »

Wait, you get alerts for that?  I just see "Urist McNewMother has given birth to a son!" with no announcement before that.  Perhaps I need to alter my announcement settings...
Sorry. I meant that eventually an update will enable such announcements; it's mentioned in the devlog somewhere.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Marshall Burns

• Bay Watcher
  • American Wizard
    • View Profile
    • Beyond the Wire Productions store
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2011, 06:39:27 pm »

The point should have been: miscarriages are possible, but appear so rare that you don't need to worry about an all male military. At least in my experience.

Not to mention that my most effective (as distinct from most skilled, almost always) soldiers have always been female. I dunno if it's just chance or if there's something in the code that makes it happen, but it always works out that way for me.
By the way, I design table top RPGs and other games. You can buy some.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2011, 07:01:46 pm »

The dwarves who met the most heroic deaths in the military were typically females, as far as I remember.  That was mostly due to the males typically wanting to go grab another beer before fighting the attacking horde, though, so the females were left to hold the line until the males could be bothered to get their ass on the battlefield.

I once had a practically raw recruit woman hold back almost the entire siege single-handedly while holding a baby, and having another child close by.  She was using a crossbow back in 40d when they were extremely overpowered, though.  Bled out after the goblins had broken and run.  Surprisingly, the kids were unharmed, although the baby died later what from not having a mother.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2011, 07:23:34 pm »

The dwarves who met the most heroic deaths in the military were typically females, as far as I remember.  That was mostly due to the males typically wanting to go grab another beer before fighting the attacking horde, though, so the females were left to hold the line until the males could be bothered to get their ass on the battlefield.
"Woman, get back in the kitchen! And by kitchen, I mean battlefield."
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Randy Gnoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2011, 07:34:44 pm »

I think that female soldiers perform better because they often carry additional shields.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2011, 09:59:53 pm »

I think that female soldiers perform better because they often carry additional shields.

I snickered at this...  I made myself sad.

Also, miscarriage seems most common from lack of nutrition.  I've never seen a well-fed dwarf with a miscarriage, even my soldiers, but then again my soldiers rarely have children, since my child cap is 10 and that's usually filled by the time I get a working military in place.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2011, 11:47:34 pm »

I snickered at this...  I made myself sad.

Also, miscarriage seems most common from lack of nutrition.  I've never seen a well-fed dwarf with a miscarriage, even my soldiers, but then again my soldiers rarely have children, since my child cap is 10 and that's usually filled by the time I get a working military in place.

I've only had violence induced miscarriages, like my mayor: a member of the starting 7, who married another member of the starting seven, and then was beaten by up a berserk carpenter she was trying to console and lost what would have been her first-born child. The severe injuries and depression of the miscarriage drove her to insanity and death.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

strongrudder

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2011, 01:53:01 am »

In my big 40d fort, I noticed once that the countess had the negative "miscarriage" thought. She was nowhere near violent danger, the fortress was rolling in food, and nobody had tantrummed in years. Maybe it just happens sometimes, too.
The flying ☼Earworm☼ strikes strongrudder in the brain!
The ☼Earworm☼ has lodged firmly in the wound!
strongrudder gives in to music.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2011, 01:57:14 am »

Since when can males have miscarriage? Also, the fact that miscarriage was somehow more likely due to stress, training, etc. was news to me, but then again I usually play with babies off.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2011, 02:04:18 am »

Miscarriages are most often from lack of food, but also from vigorous training and sometimes injury to the lower body.  Unsure about stress, but it seems that it would happen too.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2011, 02:08:56 am »

Too bad I won't experience any of this anytime soon. I play with a lowish pop limit (~50), and with my kind of manpower I can't afford to have any non-contributors in the form of children running around.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2011, 02:32:38 am »

Children appear to go on top of adults.  With my pop capped at 50 and 10 children allowed, I get 60 total, with 50 adults migrating in and 10 children born.  It appears that the pop cap and migration status only looks at adults.
Pages: 1 [2] 3