Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Does military allow healthy relationships?  (Read 2808 times)

steve296

• Bay Watcher
  • Nauseated by the sun
    • View Profile
Does military allow healthy relationships?
« on: February 04, 2011, 08:32:48 am »

Hi there,

I have a pair of lovers in my military, they are in the same squad, and the squad is set to train in every month, set to 10 squad members minimum. After seeing an unusual number of offsprings and married couples in a short timespan recently (it may only be "a lot" for me, there are a dozen children or so, not uncommon for a child to have a sibling), it occured to me that them lovebirds equipped with named iron spears didn't have any (announced) action recently, or ever, for that matter. I checked the relationships page, and they weren't married, still only lovers. And since they are both champions now, I can't (won't) disband them, and cancelling the training order just makes them train individually.

Query: Is it possible for them to spend time with each other (besides training together), without having them disbanded?

In the meantime, I have checked an engraving, and... my fort is only 3 years old??? I though more time has elapsed since its founding. Maybe the mediocre fps has something to do with it...
Quote from: Girlinhat
History looks upon the humans and says "they survived the onslaughts and prospered by their strength."  History looks at the elves and say "they survived in harsh reality and maintained their morals."  Upon the goblins it says "despite the odds, the defenses against them, and the overwhelming death that lay ahead, they still pushed on for personal gain."

History looks upon the dwarves and says "Holy carp, someone did that?!"

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Does military allow healthy relationships?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 08:44:18 am »

Military time does put your dwarves in the same barracks/danger room a lot, so it can happen, that's why many prefer all male military, because they don't go gay (that's prolly in the next version though) and they can't have miscarriage, which can happen while training or fighting, or not eating which happens on patrol duty.

In general, most people ignore relationships.  If they happen to chat and get good moods, awesome.  If not, meh, it's not worth altering your fort design to let them chitchat.  If you give them free time, though, then they'll have time to talk, and if they don't, then they won't, and there's nothing you can do about that.

Funtimes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 08:53:52 am »

and they can't have miscarriage, which can happen while training or fighting

Yes they can, there's a lovely negative thought just for it. Very rare, though.

Dwarfotaur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 08:55:55 am »

I've never seen a miscarriage even when using the danger room, however I have seen babies born and instantly impaled in the danger room. Dwarves can have some crazy rituals.

Funtimes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 09:00:49 am »

The blood makes them train harder.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2011, 09:04:54 am »

I'm pretty sure that when you go to hell (let's be fair, you know you are) that you're going one more level down due to this comment.

steve296

• Bay Watcher
  • Nauseated by the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2011, 09:16:25 am »

Military time does put your dwarves in the same barracks/danger room a lot, so it can happen, that's why many prefer all male military, because they don't go gay (that's prolly in the next version though) and they can't have miscarriage, which can happen while training or fighting, or not eating which happens on patrol duty.

In general, most people ignore relationships.  If they happen to chat and get good moods, awesome.  If not, meh, it's not worth altering your fort design to let them chitchat.  If you give them free time, though, then they'll have time to talk, and if they don't, then they won't, and there's nothing you can do about that.

Right, it's just that I suffer from "benevolent dictator" syndrome. And I like the thought of having a dwarven spearmaster family in my fortress. Shoulda gave them more time at embark before recruiting them. Oh well. Thanks for answering.

I'm pretty sure that when you go to hell (let's be fair, you know you are) that you're going one more level down due to this comment.

Name a dwaft after him and send him to circus :D
Btw, does it happen to any of you that you read "Toady" instead of "Today", when looking at the date of a post?
History looks upon the humans and says "they survived the onslaughts and prospered by their strength."  History looks at the elves and say "they survived in harsh reality and maintained their morals."  Upon the goblins it says "despite the odds, the defenses against them, and the overwhelming death that lay ahead, they still pushed on for personal gain."

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2011, 09:22:25 am »

Every single time!  I look and I'm like "Toady responded to us common mortals?!" then I'm like "aw..." then five minutes later I'm like "Toady responded to EVERY thread?!"

Funburns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2011, 10:15:18 am »

[...]
the squad is set to train in every month, set to 10 squad members minimum. [...] cancelling the training order just makes them train individually.

Query: Is it possible for them to spend time with each other (besides training together), without having them disbanded?

If you reduce the squad member minimum on every month, dwarves will trade in and out of the squad to do other things -- including idling in leisure zones, and thus talking to other dwarves and improving relationships with them if they have nothing else to do. You don't get to control who is not actively training at any given time, though, and the likelihood of both lovers being off-duty isn't very high unless you make the squad member minimum very low. In case you were worried, actually activating a squad will cause every member to respond, not just the minimum amount (that only applies to non-ordered squad activities, like training).

Dwarves do end up having many, many children if you let them. Dwarven mothers' indefatigable babycannons will cover your fortress in a withering hail of little tumors with legs danger room painters bundles of joy, and there's nothing you can do about it once it starts. I suggest daycare facilities and (continual) maternity leave, but if you like that special shade of crimson in your Armok temple, there's nothing I can do to stop you.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2011, 12:51:42 pm »

Eventually you'll get alerted when a dwarf is expecting a child, making it possible to take the mother off the squad for a while.

And this can have an extremely satisfying upside. Back in 40d, I'd formed a small fortress guard but hadn't finished equipping them yet, and one of its newer recruits was a young mother. I can only assume that from the angle he approached from, the goblin babysnatcher who attempted to make off with her two week-old baby was unable to see that she was wearing a shortsword. His expression was apparently so entertaining that the dwarves left his head in the nearby tree it landed in.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2011, 01:30:39 pm »

Wait, you get alerts for that?  I just see "Urist McNewMother has given birth to a son!" with no announcement before that.  Perhaps I need to alter my announcement settings...

TheyTarget

• Bay Watcher
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2011, 01:40:20 pm »

I've never seen a miscarriage even when using the danger room, however I have seen babies born and instantly impaled in the danger room. Dwarves can have some crazy rituals.

They don't tell you when they have miscarriages. Though you can see it in their thoughts.

If you want to make them marry, and not disband the squad, I would go with removing their barracks and putting them inactive. they wont train cause they have no place to train. This is just what I hear but if you do this in spring, and they throw a party in the meeting hall, apparently it's a wedding.
Code: [Select]
This is a platinum warhammer. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. it menaces with spikes of platinum.
there is an image of the goblin Utes Gozrusrozsnus and dwarves in elf bone. The goblin is making a plaintive gesture. the dwarves are striking a menacing pose.
this image relates to the slaying of Utes Gozrusroz

steve296

• Bay Watcher
  • Nauseated by the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2011, 02:14:29 pm »

[...] removing their barracks [...]

Of course! Next time when I want to UNDO something, I just look for a "why won't x work" thread and replicate the mistakes...

If you reduce the squad member minimum on every month, dwarves will trade in and out of the squad to do other things -- including idling in leisure zones, and thus talking to other dwarves and improving relationships with them if they have nothing else to do. You don't get to control who is not actively training at any given time, though, and the likelihood of both lovers being off-duty isn't very high unless you make the squad member minimum very low. In case you were worried, actually activating a squad will cause every member to respond, not just the minimum amount (that only applies to non-ordered squad activities, like training).

Dwarves do end up having many, many children if you let them. Dwarven mothers' indefatigable babycannons will cover your fortress in a withering hail of little tumors with legs danger room painters bundles of joy, and there's nothing you can do about it once it starts. I suggest daycare facilities and (continual) maternity leave, but if you like that special shade of crimson in your Armok temple, there's nothing I can do to stop you.

That's a good idea too, I just hope they won't fall back to individual combat drill, being the eager-beavers they are. And considering the lack of a danger room and the otherwise low popcap I've set (60 counts as pretty low to me), I think I'll be able to tolerate fresh blood every once in a while quite well. Wait, that doesn't sound right...

Thanks guys, maybe I'll report when something funny happens...
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 02:24:15 pm by steve296 »

EBannion

• Bay Watcher
  • Visit my Blog, www.elleshaped.com
    • View Profile
    • ElleShaped
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2011, 03:06:57 pm »

I remember reading somewhere that due to a fluke in programming, dwarves will not get married while in the military - ones who are already married continue having children.

So if you want your soldiers to have kids, make sure they're married before drafting them. If you don't want them to reproduce, make sure they AREN'T married ;)

Also, physical contact is not necessary for children but marriage IS.
Torturing Dwarves to death since 2007

Fayceless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2011, 04:54:33 pm »

Male dwarves cannot have a miscarriage.  This fact really shouldn't be disputed.  :o
Pages: [1] 2 3