Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Polluted Bathtub?  (Read 970 times)

Haruspex_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Polluted Bathtub?
« on: February 04, 2011, 07:35:47 am »

For the past few in-game months I've had children and pets getting infected by necrosis, which I'm 99.99% sure is caused by forgotten beast blood (that was it's special power). Fortunately it was killed in an isolated tunnel, allowing me to pave over all the blood stains quickly. I also set up a dwarven bathtub/cleaning trench to clean all those who got near.

Some time after that I got reports of children and pets getting infected. It's possible that I missed a spot somewhere, but I'm wondering if contact with the gunk in the bathtub could be causing this. I'm worried because for now all the adults still have their clothes, but in a few years that won't be the case (accursed clothing bug).

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Polluted Bathtub?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 07:40:42 am »

One: I've seen dwarves grab new clothes, which is why most of my guys end up wearing pillaged goblin clothes.

Two: I think water retains its contents, so that any contaminant, like blood of FB powder, will stay in it, or wash onto a nearby wall.  When in doubt, you can always magma scorch it, that will remove any contaminants, or some weak water will push it away onto a wall or something.  Still, I run DFCleanMap every once in a while because you can't reasonably get rid of stuff.

Haruspex_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 07:48:40 am »

1. Really? I'll have to try that out.

2. What is DFCleanMap?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 07:53:20 am »

1: Make a stockpile for finished goods, bonus points if it only accepts clothes.  Soldiers will also run out and take enemy equipment as their own, so if you're short on supplies, just kill an ambush and get their equipment.  Your men will automatically run out and "Pickup Equipment" from corpses, as long as it's not forbidden.

2: Get DFHack, it accesses the memory of DF and tweaks it.  There's some big abuse, like the fluid generator, while lets you place water, magma, or obsidian where you want, and the revealer that shows you the entire map and all stone, but then there's DFCleanMap, which simply removes all contaminants.  Since pools of blood, especially located on dwarves as splatters, will bog down fps, you can send your men through a dorfshower (burrow them somewhere, so they're all together, and then dump water to remove all blood and/or FB junk) and then run cleanmap, and it'll take off all the blood, vomit, and contaminants from the map.  It's actually the only way to remove things from walls.

Funtimes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 07:53:59 am »

CleanMap is a hack that wipes all contaminants from floors everywhere on the map. It frees up FPS and stops dwarves dying of footrot, but it's a dirty cheat.

And possible necessity, depending on your level of masochism.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2011, 07:56:49 am »

"Dirty Cheat" is subjective.  If there were a designation for "clean up this shit" then cleanmap wouldn't be needed, but as it is, you simply need luck to clean up things, or else it never gets clean, especially from places like outside where it's under a roof, where dwarves never clean and rain never reaches.  To me, it's not so much a cheat, but rather the only actual way to perform it.  If I could clean stuff with dwarfpower, then I wouldn't use it, but as it stands...

Jingles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2011, 08:16:45 am »

"Dirty Cheat" is subjective.  If there were a designation for "clean up this shit" then cleanmap wouldn't be needed, but as it is, you simply need luck to clean up things, or else it never gets clean, especially from places like outside where it's under a roof, where dwarves never clean and rain never reaches.  To me, it's not so much a cheat, but rather the only actual way to perform it.  If I could clean stuff with dwarfpower, then I wouldn't use it, but as it stands...
Same here.  I consider cheats to be something that change the game in unintended ways.  For instance useing stone reactions to get some other more desirable material.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2011, 08:37:55 am »

Well, there's also a difference between cheating and modding.  Cheating is generally the absence of balance.  Superweapons are cheating, unless they're so expensive you can only make one.

Funtimes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2011, 08:54:42 am »

Alright, how about creative rule bending?