Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: General Chat about Mu*s  (Read 3570 times)

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: General Chat about Mu*s
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2011, 06:01:11 am »

Firan

Firan is prob. the 2end best one I played on, even while being deeply flawed at its core (Favour play, favour play, favour play, most players are there to amuse the big ones (secret: There is magic, ala: Ter something can always hear any sentence that includes her name and the gods give out favors (can breath underwater, can choose to be fertile or not) to there hook-up buddys (to say it nicly, there is more then one woman who rightly claims to have the child of a ic-god), there even is "pleasure island" a room for such occasions you shouldn't normally be able to reach.

What made me bail from it is the noble privilage, aka: Receivers of the favor play having the permission to rape anyone and anythings wife/randrom woman and they are supposed to enjoy it. I don't mind none-concent in terms of dead, unfairness and therelike, but rape is a touchy subject and even as a guy, I was to disgusted to keep playing there after I saw a dozen noble men run a train on every woman they could catch. Ewww

Hollow World

Very well written mu, small and friendly (with well written i mean story wise) if you enjoy the code-free play. Sadly guided by a slightly dysfunctional (still, great writer) who has no shame in using anything possible and a million alts to sleep at least once with every woman on the grid (seriously, are all mus just outlets for sexual frustration these days?) including bs along "A daemon makes you do it"

Moonlight Echo

Your typical small "WoD" Mu, but suffers from the typical problems ala crazy people, like little "Spend 90% of your time with me and still I say "You hardly ever rp with me"" Fellas and the typical overly dramatic pile of mary sues.

Crossroads MU

Hell... it is actually fun, semi serious and quite nice. If you can work your way into the family like feel and though the somewhat rougher filtering of new comers (understandable) it is very enjoyable.

Hell MU

It is there for shock value, if your not into seeing a orphan lick semen of a rock, not your thing. Not mine either.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2011, 06:51:39 am »

Softcoders, aren't really known for sharing their code.
Partially, this is because it's a bigger pain in the ass on softcoded stuff.  There is less support for registering objects with strong names, and some of the hoops you have to jump through to install things are stupid.  Contrast MUF, where you just copy some code, paste it in, hit 'compile', link an action to it and poof it works.  Softcoded stuff takes effort to share and effort to install.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2011, 07:21:16 am »

Partially, this is because it's a bigger pain in the ass on softcoded stuff.  There is less support for registering objects with strong names, and some of the hoops you have to jump through to install things are stupid.  Contrast MUF, where you just copy some code, paste it in, hit 'compile', link an action to it and poof it works.  Softcoded stuff takes effort to share and effort to install.

Yea, it defiantly has its reasons. I would have to rewrite or install support code for my who/where to work elsewhere. It uses several ufun, like header() and border(). Two simple functions I wrote to keep my code looking the same on out put, and to save time. Header() gives me that uniform ansi coloring for, Activity Log, and the headers in the who/where. Border(), just a different flavor of repeat() but for my utility border.

So instead of typing out [ansi(y,A)][ansi(hw,ctivity%B[ansi(y,L)]og)], I can just do [header(Activity Log)].
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2011, 09:25:49 pm »

...It's stuff like that which drove me to write my own! :D
Sure, it's harder to share the code around then, while keeping some degree of privacy to things like the database, but seeing as I'm currently operating as a one man coding machine, that didn't bother me.
It also means I can greatly deviate from the standard command system, and aim it more towards what my players would feel more at home with.

And, the task I've been trying to tackle with said code recently?
Removing all references to Strings. Anyone who's used C# or VB.NET should know the exact String objects I'm talking about.
*sigh!*
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2011, 05:52:42 am »

...It also means I can greatly deviate from the standard command system, and aim it more towards what my players would feel more at home with.
In what fashion?

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2011, 11:12:56 am »

In what fashion?
My commands system follows something closer to an IRC style, in that, any text you send without a command character at the start of it is treated as a message, and sent to the relevent channel.
That, coupled with the convention which is visible in the #dig command.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2011, 10:01:53 pm »

In what fashion?
My commands system follows something closer to an IRC style, in that, any text you send without a command character at the start of it is treated as a message, and sent to the relevent channel.
That, coupled with the convention which is visible in the #dig command.
If there no preface for channel text, then how to distinguish between poses and different channels?

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2011, 11:07:49 pm »

If there no preface for channel text, then how to distinguish between poses and different channels?
It's default channel text. Should have spesified that before.
You can then switch between the channels with additional #commands, or use the same #commands to send one time messages to different channels.
And, if you're default is the say channel, then text supported by *s will then be sent as actions rather than speech, which allows for even more speed of input.

The only thing I haven't done, is get it to seperate speechmarks and star marks on the same line, to send several spoken words and actions at once. That may well come along in the future though.

Nistenf

• Bay Watcher
  • The cake is a lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2011, 05:25:19 pm »

Can you recommend good RP and not RP MUDs?

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2011, 09:39:48 pm »

Can you recommend good RP and not RP MUDs?

Well, eventually Navitas: The City Limits will be a good rp place. When it opens.

I'm staff over at Bleach: The Beginning. If you like high actiony martial arts energy blasten stuff, its a fun place.  You don't have to be a big Bleach fan to play there. I personally hate  Bleach. Its a terrible show. But the RP is pretty good none the less.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 06:12:31 am by MrWiggles »

Cajoes

• Bay Watcher
  • "I'm a damn cat."
    • View Profile
    • http://none
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2011, 12:52:06 am »

I'm not socially inept - I can do fine in socially situations - I just prefer to avoid them. Is there room in Mu*s for an anti-social mouth breather, or must I be socially inept?

On a serious note, I didn't really find out about RP until after Mu*s were considered outdated, and most RP took place in graphical engines. I would like to know more though.

I'm socially awkward and plagued by anxieties, I get panic attacks just by being in the same room as a bunch of complete strangers. (Only if they're more than two though) But I'm slowly overcoming my sociophobias... ... Still is a pain in the pita when roleplaying.
Quote from: Roman Proverb
Do not argue against the sun. For it is a lot brighter than you are.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2011, 02:10:55 pm »

If you're really really into White Wolf's old World of Darkness, PM me and I'll see if I can hook you up with one of the places one of my friends plays.

Nistenf

• Bay Watcher
  • The cake is a lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2011, 08:36:00 pm »

I just got accepted into Atonement, let's see how this is

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2011, 01:00:19 pm »

Let see,

One of the issues, that I have with Mushes, that have character advancement via points, is that there doesnt seem to be a good answer to it.

I've been on places, where staff hand out points at the end of TP.

Where players vote for each other.

Where staff review rp individually.

Fix Advancement Points per time period.

There probably a few others that I'm missing.
---
First one, I'm not a fan of, because it only awards those who get to play in the TPs. And from my experience, this tends to be a minority of the mu*. Causal players, aren't going to be to interested in TPs or more likly miss them, and players who arent interested. Then there are those who simply can't make the appointment for the RP.

A general fix, is to host long TP, but RPing ona  mu* can be a slow process, and this in my experience more often then not robs the TP of its steam.

Another fix, is to host Mini TP for small select of players, but this isn't really a good fix.

---
For point two, this seems to be rather easy for players to game the system to maximize XP. Especially if a bad vote system is made. (I made a horrible one once, at NRM). It also seems to promote Polite Voting. I RPed with you, therefore I get gratis XP. And there is also peer pressure voting as well.

If the system is badly design, then it can lead to XP inflation. In which, to counter act the excess amount of XP, is to simply raise the cost of everything. This is poo.

To fix these issues, you could make voting enforced anonymity. This prevents polite votes, and peer pressure. Then you can also have a max award that a character can earn per time period.

And to an extra step to prevent polite voting, the votes get applied at the end of the month. So, smart players can't deduce that someone didn't vote by checking their XP  right after an RP.

These fixes, tend to punish active and good RPers on the mush. Depending on the style, they will generally max out on max award with earlier then the other players within the time period. I'm not in favor of this really.
---
This I think, overall works, but sucks for the Staff of the game. A some what active mu* will generate a fair bit of paper work. For a Head wizard, thats about 10-15 hours of work a week. On really active mu*, can constitute a second job.  The other staff, have fractional paper work hours too, but they tend to do other activity thats just as time consuming at times And coders, can either be working crazy, or have nothing to do at all. Its weird.

Anyway. The point is, is that this system generates a lot more paper work. It wouldnt be uncommon for a mu* to break a 100 RP turned in a month. Heck, Bleach: The Beginning averages about 200 a month.

Thats a lot of RP. Thats a lot of paper work. And its super required for the game to move forward. If the staff lax on getting through the logs, then the entire mu* stagnates.
It also, tends to be one of the more crappy staff positions you can have.
---
Fix XP.

This works kinda of well, but has the same issue for not rewarding the Good RPers of the community directly. I dont like this. Indirect rewards, or perks, have issue with transparencies, and can lead into psedo staff members. If you see a player, that acts like staff, or does staff things a lot, but isnt on the staff listing, you should leave that mu*. These rewards also tend to be ad hoc. So, we get into issues with fairness.
---
So yea.

For Navitas, my mu*, I'm going with a different a system. Its a peer log review anonymity system, that is partially automated.

The players review their own logs, while being anon. You can't review logs, that you've been in or your alts. Staff can see who is voting for whom and how. These votes, are then averaged, and applied to the mush directly. Players who choose to to do reviews, will be getting a standardize bonus for doing so.

This levitates staff from the tedious extra paper work, and places them into the role of supervisors. This places the burden into the players hands, however the work needed is divided up by the number of players who are reviewing.

With this automation, we can do new things and interesting things. Such as Reviewers can nominate a particular pose, as out standing, and it can be an optional blurb that players can see when they log onto the mush. *Pose of the Day!*, and it can broken down to Quote of the Day as well. Players whom these belong to, can receive a standardize prize for doing so.

I was also thinking, of making an addition to the +fing, where it can display such RP rewards. With an alternate page to view them, or perhaps it'll display one of them randomly on the +fing.

Along with these nominations, we can also do Log of the Month, Quarter, and Year with, again, standardize rewards and probably a bbpost about it.

Other rewards I'm looking at, would be Most Improved RPer of the Quarter, and Year.
--
A lot of the mu* code bases, are allowing interaction with ruby bots to a limited degree, which this system will take advantage of, and it'll need a customized hopefully simple blog software thing. These last two areas, I have limited experience on, but I'm confident that its plausible. Maybe not to the degree I've hopped for but plausible.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2011, 04:48:01 pm »

The best MUSH XP system I've seen so far is GarouMUSH's +learn system.  Basically, they just said "XP?  Screw that."  When you want to start raising an attribute, you put in a +learn application for exactly what the hell you're doing to raise it (Weight training?  Swordfighting lessons from a buddy?  Petitioning the spirits for knowledge?), and if it's approved, time passes.  I think the system was "you can have one +learn per trait classification", like, one attribute + one ability + one other-thing at a time.  Some things take longer than others.  Once the time period is up, you get to add it to your sheet...or in the case of trying to learn new Gifts from spirits etc, you get to roll to see if it worked first.  Yeah, getting new Gifts is *hard*, and it's supposed to be.

If your character actually cares about self-improvement, they can improve pretty fast.  The staff are likely to request some form of evidence that your character is actually working on stuff though.  Like, if you say you're taking swordfighting lessons, and once a couple months to move from 2 dots to 3 are up, if they ask you for an RP log of a lesson then you'd better not say "Uh, I never actually played it out..."  So, it does reward RPers, because if you never do the casual scenes, you aren't getting the practice.

It makes sense realistically, too.  I mean, XP is a screwed up system.  What activity is more likely to REALLY improve your strength in the long term...Beating up some thugs in an alley one night, or hitting the gym every day for a month?  Yeah I thought so.  And while you might notice something new when you get in a real swordfight, it takes long practice to learn to apply it.  But then that's something I always liked about that MUSH and others like it:  It let you focus on the downtime, the space between the big adventures.  It let you see what life was really like, let you get to know the minor non-supernatural characters in a way that was deeper than "Oh no!  You found Rachael splattered across a wall!"  "Who?"  "You know, the kinfolk that your cousin was dating?"  "Um..."  "Helped manage the legal issues around the bawn property...three months pregnant..."  "Oh.  That sucks.  Er, I mean those bastards, I'll kill them!"
Pages: 1 [2] 3