Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124 ... 127

Author Topic: Dark Souls  (Read 147987 times)

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Souls
« Reply #1815 on: April 15, 2014, 12:09:02 pm »

If you're going to use chain armor I suggest you go grab Havel's ring if you haven't already. Preferably you should have the fast roll, otherwise you're better off with heavier armor that will still grant you the medium roll. Also, elite knight gauntlets are pretty much better than the leather gauntlets in almost every way and only weigh 0.1 more.

As for the claymore, you shouldn't bother with ascending it to do fire damage, unless I misunderstand how fire damage works. What I would do however is grab a scimitar or falchion from the skellies in the graveyard by Firelink Shrine (you can probably buy one from somewhere but I forget), get that to +5 or +10 (I forget which) and somewhere in Anor Londor you will find a little friend who can use Quelaag's soul to make a good fire weapon from it (It's actually chaos so it gets better when you have 10 humanity). It swings pretty fast so you should be able to deal more fire damage with it than a slower bastard-sword type weapon like the claymore.

Honestly, I've never used a fire or lightning weapon, sooo...
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 12:16:00 pm by OzyTheSage »

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #1816 on: April 15, 2014, 05:51:09 pm »

Elemental weapons are only good low-level, as they lack scaling.

If you're a quality build, strength/dex, 'ascending' your claymore to fire/lightning is actually a debuff. Not only do you lose the scaling entirely, (you can see the extra damage added from scaling to the right of the base damage in the weapon page, iirc), but the damage is split between two types. This means both types of resistance apply, and instead of doing 206dmg(plus scaling damage, probably 100+ for you)-30dmg, you deal 180dmg-30dmg + 180dmg-30dmg.

Moveset is often more important than a damage edge, and the claymore is one of the most popular weapons for just that reason, (plus it's got that damage edge for quality builds..).

I also agree with Ozy on armor, except I'd aim for midrolling minimum. You start getting access to a lot more armor sets by the time anor londo's come around, so there's that. Don't forget to upgrade your armor, and people like to swap in heavy armor gauntlets/leggings/helmets for the /massive/ increase to poise & resistance they provide for a relatively small change in weight.

Poise makes a /huge/ difference in playstyle.
Relevant:
http://darksouls.wikidot.com/poise
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/606312-dark-souls/61847190

For the record though, style>practicality. Hollow waist-cloths are hell on the eyes.

also-also: Check out the zweihander sometime. Being an Ultra Greatsword, it has the poise damage to pancake some rather large enemies.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 06:02:11 pm by GrizzlyAdamz »
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1817 on: April 15, 2014, 06:07:47 pm »

Be careful of the Zweihander, you may become... too obsessed.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #1818 on: April 15, 2014, 06:11:05 pm »

Everyone I know who went Zweihander never went back.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #1819 on: April 15, 2014, 08:23:17 pm »

I went Zweihander and now I'm using the Balder Straight sword. So it's not entirely true.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1820 on: April 15, 2014, 08:25:47 pm »

I never really liked the Zweihander. By the time I wanted to use any Greatswords I just used the Black Knight Greatsword.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #1821 on: April 15, 2014, 08:25:49 pm »

I went Zweihander and now I'm using the Balder Straight sword. So it's not entirely true.
Well, I did not know that.

I've been trying out whips lately. They seem pretty hard to get right, but I noticed they hit through shields and can be buffed. Seems like a griefing weapon if there ever was one.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #1822 on: April 15, 2014, 08:29:30 pm »

I'm not sure about greifing. But in a silly moment I made the whip I picked up  into +5 divine.

You know, just because.

Edit: Why did I type game.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 08:34:34 pm by Janet »
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #1823 on: April 15, 2014, 08:33:12 pm »

I'm not sure about greifing. But in a silly moment I made the whip I picked up game into +5 divine.

You know, just because.
Heheh. Oh Jan y u so qool?!. :3

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #1824 on: April 15, 2014, 08:40:08 pm »

I never really liked the Zweihander. By the time I wanted to use any Greatswords I just used the Black Knight Greatsword.
Ergh, I dont' know what it is about that blade, but I just can't stand it. Maybe the blade is too grody, perhaps the hilt/crossguard is just off. It just don't feel right.

Oh wait greatsword. yeah that thing's cool. Higher stat reqs though.

I thought the shotel was better for bypassing shields. Whips' defining feature is being unparryable.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #1825 on: April 15, 2014, 08:42:24 pm »

The BK Greatsword is too short. I like the zweihander's reach, but I feel like it doesn't do much damage compared to other large weapons.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #1826 on: April 15, 2014, 08:55:29 pm »

But the moveset on that BKG.
bellissimo.gif
Badges of honor

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1827 on: April 15, 2014, 10:02:04 pm »

Let's be honest, if you're using the Black Knight Greatsword, then what you're really doing is using a massive weapon and hoping for those times that you can do the two-handed strong and send an enemy up into the air.  You're just WAITING for an enemy so slow you can pull it off and ruin them.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1828 on: April 15, 2014, 10:45:06 pm »

Defeated my first invader, then went on to get the Gaping Dragon to 1/4 hp by the time i ran out of Estus. Holy shit was that an intense few minutes.

Turns out hiding behind my shield and not dodging is totally viable. I just waited for him to try and backpedal behind me, then i'd stab a few times with Estoc+6 and he couldn't cope.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #1829 on: April 15, 2014, 10:51:06 pm »

First invader eh? Was it the knight of thorns?
>Grizzly adams uses Bubble-pop!
Badges of honor
Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124 ... 127