Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 112 113 [114] 115 116 ... 127

Author Topic: Dark Souls  (Read 148092 times)

Lukewarm

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps, if you ask nicely.
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Souls
« Reply #1695 on: December 14, 2013, 09:40:11 pm »

Terrifying? That's everyday life for Forest Hunters.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1696 on: December 14, 2013, 10:19:11 pm »

That's pretty awesome to be honest. Having a theme like that breaks the boring same-old-same-old.

Gamerboy4life

• Bay Watcher
  • Helicopegasus
    • View Profile
« Reply #1697 on: December 14, 2013, 10:29:18 pm »

That's pretty awesome to be honest. Having a theme like that breaks the boring same-old-same-old.

It's not that awesome when you encounter that.

I mainly do forest hunter PVP, I swear I run into this sort of thing every twenty or so matches.
I need to put something interesting here.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1698 on: December 14, 2013, 10:41:05 pm »

I mainly do Forest hunting too. You get tired of the same old equipment. It would be nice to encounter someone using all black knight equips plus various weapons.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1699 on: December 14, 2013, 11:14:09 pm »

Every time I try Forest Hunter (PS3) I get ganked like that.  2-3 whites, usually with dark magic or that one pyromancy that points down and makes a burst of flame that somehow ignores all defense.  I want to make an overpowered build, max level fastrolling in giant's armor, just to mess with forest gankers...

Baneling

• Bay Watcher
  • Acid Balloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1700 on: December 15, 2013, 03:51:41 am »

Most people playing this game seem to have gotten through on sheer luck on account of being unable to see the screen through the pants on their head.

Liberal application of Black Flame and Dark Beads pretty much win all the fights, since most people don't know how to dodge them or don't have a silver pendant handy most of the time.
I tend to be a stupid person. Expect me to say/do stupid things and we'll probably get along better!

Lukewarm

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps, if you ask nicely.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1701 on: December 15, 2013, 12:04:47 pm »

I used to do Forest Hunter, but I got the same thing Girlinhat did. I recommend invading for a while in Upper Sen's Fortress before attempting any of that. There's still invader hunters, but the general skill/twink level is lower, so you can practice rolling past magic. Also, blue stoneplate ring. It doesn't help with pyromancy, but it will help you with crystal soul spear spammers until you can reliably roll under them.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1702 on: December 15, 2013, 12:29:31 pm »

I usually go full tank build, but pyromancy in specific just runs through shields.  Dark Bead and Soul Spear (and variants) I can usually dodge pretty easy.  It's just a simple matter of understanding that a roll makes you invulnerable, and that these magics will disappear on contact with you, even if you happen to be invulnerable at the time.

Full tank is ludicrously good at PVE, in specific a greatshield will deflect pretty much everything except Smough, Iron Golem, and Tauros Demon, and armor you wear becomes somewhat unnecessary.  However for PVP, tanking just gets people who batter through your shield with bleed, lightning, and magics.  I've been toying with one build, a 'holy tank' designed to use a greatshield (likely Artorias) and an ultra greatswords (likely zwey or greatsword) and light armor.  The full intent is to get enough str to wield, get enough endurance to fast roll, and then pile faith and throw miracles and divine blades.  I don't see stuff like this done very often, but I think the greatshield would be good for pve, the fast rolling would help for pvp, and knowing my move set for my blade would be essential for getting in fast, like understanding the ultra greatsword's roll-stab move.  Not sure what rings I'd want.

Gamerboy4life

• Bay Watcher
  • Helicopegasus
    • View Profile
« Reply #1703 on: December 15, 2013, 05:06:55 pm »

Not sure what rings I'd want.

Flip ring, for the lols.
I need to put something interesting here.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1704 on: December 15, 2013, 05:12:26 pm »

Not sure what rings I'd want.

Flip ring, for the lols.
Actually yeah, probably flip ring and Ring of the Firstborne or something else to enhance miracles.

Tjoh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1705 on: January 06, 2014, 06:00:30 pm »

Is it possible to go down to the place you fight manus after killing him? I died just as he died, and now I have more than 60000 souls waiting for me down there. I can't see any way for me to survive jumping down from where he grabs you.

Hah! Nevermind. I fell off and took no damage at all!
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 06:05:27 pm by Tjoh »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1706 on: January 08, 2014, 12:15:43 pm »

If you want to troll people just go chaoshander giantdad.  Most people don't know how to deal with a giantdad
Shoes...

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1707 on: January 08, 2014, 01:22:10 pm »

If you want to troll people just go chaoshander giantdad.  Most people don't know how to deal with a giantdad

How do you deal with it?

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1708 on: January 08, 2014, 01:35:59 pm »

Liberal use of fire. Great Combustion in particular.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1709 on: January 08, 2014, 02:08:43 pm »

Giantdad is easy to deal with till you get hit. After the first hit on you, you're probably done for - that's how it's designed.

Dark magic is good, if you're not one of the 2honorable sorts who doesn't keep it equipped.
WoG too.
For more ~honourable~ magicks, slow paced stuff will actually do well - giantdad isn't the best at dodging, and can't do shit for blocking. Emit force, gravelord (great)sword dance, fire whips, firestorm, white dragon breath. Not a lot of stuff you're likely to have equipped, but general ranged spam also works.

You could poison them and run away, or attack when they try to cure. Poison probably won't do much to them though - they have a lot of health, so they're likely to ignore it.

Light weapons and rolling are going to get you screwed, unless you're exceptionally good at rolling.
That said, rolling is going to be better than almost any shield. I haven't seen how greatshields hold up, but normal shields will get knocked over with giantdad stamina to spare.

It's a zweihander, so parrying is a definite option; but if you miss you're dead, and the giantdad won't go down with one riposte.

Overall, spam shit and stay away from that goddamn blade.
As majikero said, pyromancy is good for that. I'd recommend fire whip over combustion personally, due to its greater range, but fire whip may not break the giantdad's poise so idk.
Pages: 1 ... 112 113 [114] 115 116 ... 127