Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 127

Author Topic: Dark Souls  (Read 148079 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Souls
« Reply #1680 on: December 12, 2013, 12:23:31 am »

You need... membership... to play DS online?
Yep - need Xbox Live Gold membership to do any Xbox multiplayer.

While this is bumped, I'd like to say that I'm doing a 2h greatsword, no shield run, mid roll only, miracles - and it's going very well! It's a fun build.
I've built a Zweihander build, SL6 who sits around Undead Burg with a Lightning Zweihander +1 and alternates between just the pyro boots, full pyro gear, Solaire's armor, and Havel's armor.  Ultra Greatswords are a devastating weapon when used to their full potential.  Mainly, you can't let up.  When you strike, you're dedicating a lot of time to the action, during which you can get hit pretty hard.  But when you do connect, any enemy is going to feel it pretty hard.  Timing, dodge, and knowing when to press the advantage are extremely important.

In the Burg, I can take out the Black Knight really easy with 2h strong attacks, one after another, and I can stunlock Havel.  Combine with Grass Crest Shield and fast roll, I get to be pretty powerful.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1681 on: December 12, 2013, 01:16:34 am »

Zweihander is a bad weapon. It has a useless moveset and is a bit too slow, especially for PvP.

Greatsword has a useful moveset and requires prediction or great twitch reflexes to dodge/parry.

And not letting up with the zwei at SL6 means dealing out 1 or 2 more swings.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1682 on: December 12, 2013, 01:32:35 am »

Actually, the Zweihander is the fastest Ultra Greatsword by a margin of a few milliseconds. Someone did a video analysis of them.
And yet, while I love all the other ultra greatswords, I hate the zweihander. Maybe it's just that it doesn't look like it has as much weight as the others do, I don't know.

I made a ninja-flipping giantdad because it seemed like fun at the time and I hated every minute of it. The fast flips coupled with the slow zweihander swings just seemed so wasteful. I'd imagine it would be good if you just wanted to backstab all the time, but I'm not that kind of player.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1683 on: December 12, 2013, 01:37:53 am »

I don't care if the zweihander is bad it looks cool, at least to me, and I don't do PvP so it works for me. On the PS3 before it died I used a bastard sword to similar effect but it was faster and not as hard hitting. The reach on the zweihander is neat and the strong attack has good range. You have to do a dodge roll before you can stab with it though which is why I imagine people prefer the other swords in pvp and stuff.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1684 on: December 12, 2013, 01:49:07 am »

Zwey does GREAT in PVE if you know how to actually use it.  It's a weapon of incredible timing and distance if used exclusively two-handed.  Its best use is to preemptively stagger enemies who are trying to hit you - as soon as they come close, you start swinging, by the time their weapon is raised you should be driving yours through their chest.  It's also crucial to understand your reach, as you can do a LOT better trying to hit from further out and using the massive weapon for its real strengths - the high single-strike damage, and the long reach.

The moveset has served me greatly, all 2h.
The strong attack will outright demolish enemies, and if it doesn't, it leaves them laying on their stomach.  Even if it doesn't hit it can stagger nearby enemies!
The weak attack has good enough speed and damage.
The roll-stab is pretty quick, and works extremely well when you roll past an enemy and do a 180 turn to stab them in the back (this can utilize the Hornet Ring's 'counterattack' buff).
The jump back (press dodge while NOT moving in any direction) followed by an attack does a jumping strike that can exploit a lot of enemies in their 'missed attack' frames, particularly silver knights and that bandit from the forest.

As an exclusive 2h weapon, it's one to use for fast combat, curiously enough.  It works rather well with fast roll helping to get into position and gain enough clearance/timing to get an attack off, so you have to know your position and timing.  When paired with a (great)shield it works for tank combat, encouraging you to deflect an attack and use the 'weapon bounced off' animation to spin up your own attack.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1685 on: December 12, 2013, 01:53:40 am »

Oh yeah I forgot about crushing enemies into the ground in a single swing, I tried the weapon out and as soon as I saw that I knew I had to play with it =p

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1686 on: December 12, 2013, 01:58:47 am »

The Greatsword has all that, plus an incredibly powerful thrust attack that sends enemies flying. I guess I might prefer the other ultragreats because of how ridiculously powerful their attacks feel. While the zwei can smash enemies, the others can knock them across the room.

I will say that the zweihander in Dark souls 2 has an awesome running attack. I was flipping enemies straight off of cliffs with it during the beta.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1687 on: December 12, 2013, 06:01:15 pm »

I can't really imagine why you would want to knock enemies around a room unless you knock them off cliffs or for crowd control. If anything you'd probably wanna keep them in place for some follow-up attacks.

Oh, you also get the zweihander as soon as you reach firelink shrine so there's that.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1688 on: December 12, 2013, 08:10:01 pm »

I just want to throw it out there:

I'm a dual, holy zweihander build with havel le rock armor.

EDIT: Although... I do use dual raw great-axes these days.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 08:19:24 pm by Urist McScoopbeard »
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1689 on: December 12, 2013, 08:35:47 pm »

Dual zweihander (or any greatweapon) sounds... incredible XD

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1690 on: December 12, 2013, 08:50:56 pm »

Dual zweihander (or any greatweapon) sounds... incredible XD
There's a few videos of dual Golem Axes and dual Smough's Hammer.  It is unfortunately not as great as it seems, since you can attack just as fast (or faster) with one weapon in the hand and an empty other hand, and you lose the power of two-handing your weapon.

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1691 on: December 12, 2013, 09:05:13 pm »

If dual-wielding is as awesome as it should be in DkS 2, that needs to be something we try, though.
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1692 on: December 12, 2013, 09:08:21 pm »

If dual-wielding is as awesome as it should be in DkS 2, that needs to be something we try, though.
Well definitely.  It's still a great intimidation tactic in pvp.  For pve it's not so good, a shield is still your greatest asset.  But dual-wielding is just, a great absurdity.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1693 on: December 14, 2013, 08:37:23 pm »

There's a few videos of dual Golem Axes and dual Smough's Hammer.  It is unfortunately not as great as it seems, since you can attack just as fast (or faster) with one weapon in the hand and an empty other hand, and you lose the power of two-handing your weapon.

It is pretty great when there's three of you. ;)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #1694 on: December 14, 2013, 08:41:45 pm »

That is freaking terrifying.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 127