Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113 ... 127

Author Topic: Dark Souls  (Read 148099 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Souls
« Reply #1650 on: August 12, 2013, 08:59:48 pm »

Unless you need something to block lightning or magic.

Anyway, I feel like a badass right now. I killed Ornstein and Smough, with my fists. At level 34, with no chest or head armor. God damn, challenge play is fun.

I think I can say now I've mastered PVE. PVP is another story entirely...
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Gamerboy4life

• Bay Watcher
  • Helicopegasus
    • View Profile
« Reply #1651 on: August 12, 2013, 09:12:12 pm »

Unless you need something to block lightning or magic.

Anyway, I feel like a badass right now. I killed Ornstein and Smough, with my fists. At level 34, with no chest or head armor. God damn, challenge play is fun.

I think I can say now I've mastered PVE. PVP is another story entirely...

Wow, I don't think I could ever do that.

But I've found the Dark Hand is actually rather effective at blocking magic, haven't tried blocking dark magic with it yet, but compared to losing almost half of my health bar blocking with my usual shield (+10 grass crest) I only lose an eighth or less.

I'm going to try it's Hoomanity stealing thing next time I PVP.

But on a different note: I was originally going pure dex build, and have roughly 30 points in dex and endurance originally, but I ended up wanting to do a faith build. But my problem lies in holy weapons.

I want to get a holy weapon for 2 reasons, I heard that with a decent amount of faith, you can do quite a bit of damage with it, and to use in catacombs, as I haven't gone down there yet.

At what level faith does a +5 Estoc or Balder Side Sword (Which are two of my main weapons,) surpass their +5 or +10 normal equivalent?
I need to put something interesting here.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1652 on: August 12, 2013, 09:21:58 pm »

The Dark Hand has one of the best magic defenses in the game. Its downsides being, of course, its low physical resistance and low stability.

I recommend only life stealing on AFK players; it's a really slow attack, and a bit troublesome to use correctly.
Note that the dark hand lifedrain only works on NPCs and PCs, not standard enemies. Save yourself the damage.

I'd recommend using the Dark Souls character planner for calculating damage, but it doesn't allow weapons that aren't maximally upgraded, so you'll have to take a guess based off of playing around there and the wiki info.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1653 on: August 12, 2013, 09:27:05 pm »

The Dark Hand almost completely negates all of the Four Kings' magic attacks, including the shockwave but not the grab.  The shockwave will stagger you and drain all your stamina, but the damage will be very manageable.

I don't know about the lower level enchants, but with 40 dex a +10 Divine BSS will begin to outdamage a +15 blank BSS at 19 Faith.  That's probably not 100% accurate seeing as Divine will be doing split damage, and blank can be enchanted.  But raw numbers-wise, there you go.
Shoes...

Gamerboy4life

• Bay Watcher
  • Helicopegasus
    • View Profile
« Reply #1654 on: August 12, 2013, 10:12:14 pm »

The Dark Hand almost completely negates all of the Four Kings' magic attacks, including the shockwave but not the grab.  The shockwave will stagger you and drain all your stamina, but the damage will be very manageable.

No way

I've been having so much trouble with the Four Kings fight because of this, I'll need to try tomorrow and see if I can beat them.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1655 on: August 12, 2013, 10:38:52 pm »

You're probably better off using the crest shield, but the dark hand certainly works well against them.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1656 on: August 13, 2013, 12:13:48 pm »

No way

I've been having so much trouble with the Four Kings fight because of this, I'll need to try tomorrow and see if I can beat them.

On my very first run, I was struggling with them a bit. So I said screw it. I put on Havel's armor, slotted as much Iron Skin as I could, and just pummeled them to death with two-handed wielding. It takes a bit of time, but they don't deal much damage past all that bulk.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1657 on: August 13, 2013, 01:33:45 pm »

Tanking is an excellent strategy - once you're next to them, they do next to no damage to you in full havel's. The trick is getting up to them - they do more damage the further away you are.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1658 on: August 13, 2013, 01:36:04 pm »

The "heavy poise" method actually works for quite a few bosses.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1659 on: August 13, 2013, 01:44:16 pm »

As seen in this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UdcKGWmZMs

Probably not so good against Ceaseless Discharge, though.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1660 on: August 13, 2013, 01:47:53 pm »

If you're actually fighting Ceaseless Discharge it should work well. If you're running away and waiting for it to do something stupid, then no.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1661 on: August 13, 2013, 01:52:18 pm »

If you're actually fighting Ceaseless Discharge it should work well. If you're running away and waiting for it to do something stupid, then no.

But... the ceaseless discharge is not hard at all! It's been one of the easiest bosses for me.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1662 on: August 13, 2013, 01:58:39 pm »

I find that no amount of armor will save you from him, it's best to go unencumbered, get right up in his face, and dodge. Poise is useless because if you're getting hit, you're not fighting him right.

Gamerboy4life

• Bay Watcher
  • Helicopegasus
    • View Profile
« Reply #1663 on: August 14, 2013, 03:47:07 pm »

Fuck Tomb of the Giants

This is probably karmic justice from all the times I've scoffed at people claiming it was difficult. I always thought it was an exaggeration.

It's... impossible. I'm still stuck on the bonfire near Patches, and that one dog-skeleton thing still keeps killing me EVERY time.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1664 on: August 14, 2013, 03:59:52 pm »

Fuck Tomb of the Giants

This is probably karmic justice from all the times I've scoffed at people claiming it was difficult. I always thought it was an exaggeration.

It's... impossible. I'm still stuck on the bonfire near Patches, and that one dog-skeleton thing still keeps killing me EVERY time.

They are extremely vulnerable to fire, and heavy weapons. I hear you can flatten them with a heavy swing of a zweihander; probably some hammers, too. They die to 1-2 fireballs (various strengths) from max level glove.

If none of the above are options, just wait until it rears and dodge/block. You'll have an opening to attack afterwards.
Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113 ... 127