Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 127

Author Topic: Dark Souls  (Read 148166 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Souls
« Reply #1605 on: June 24, 2013, 12:46:12 pm »

So, sit directly beneath him and poke his legs with the rapier. Sounds good. Maybe standing directly underneath I could hit him with some soul spears, too.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1606 on: June 24, 2013, 01:02:54 pm »

So, sit directly beneath him and poke his legs with the rapier. Sounds good. Maybe standing directly underneath I could hit him with some soul spears, too.
You probably don't want to use souls spear, due to casting time he might be able to get a jump in and just one-shot you.  My most frequent cause of death has been attacking him with an ultra/greatsword, and he jumps during my swing, and the animation for swinging is so long I have no time to dodge or shield.

The best tanky strategy I've found with Super Ornstein, is to keep stamina high, get between his legs, and make one attack at a time, starting my attack as he starts or halfway through his attack.  If I strike near the end of his swing, he's probably gonna jump and slam his ass on my face before I'm able to even get my shield up.

Your mileage my vary, with rolling and quick weapons.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1607 on: June 24, 2013, 01:11:33 pm »

I've always found Ornstein slow enough to get in a number of attacks, but playing it safe in case of butt smash is never a bad idea.

I really enjoyed my no shield playthrough, as well as my low level playthrough.  But I wonder if the NG+ or NG++ would ever be as challenging as either of those.
NG+ is often about as challenging as a low-level playthrough, but both are so highly variable that it's hard to say.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1608 on: June 24, 2013, 05:30:20 pm »

You probably don't want to use souls spear, due to casting time he might be able to get a jump in and just one-shot you.  My most frequent cause of death has been attacking him with an ultra/greatsword, and he jumps during my swing, and the animation for swinging is so long I have no time to dodge or shield.

The best tanky strategy I've found with Super Ornstein, is to keep stamina high, get between his legs, and make one attack at a time, starting my attack as he starts or halfway through his attack.  If I strike near the end of his swing, he's probably gonna jump and slam his ass on my face before I'm able to even get my shield up.

Your mileage my vary, with rolling and quick weapons.

Casting time on Soul Spear isn't that long. No time to try it today, though. Can he bleed?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1609 on: June 24, 2013, 05:48:15 pm »

Do any NPCs bleed?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1610 on: June 24, 2013, 05:49:23 pm »

All of them, but only some bosses do, like Sif. I don't know if Ornstein can be bled.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1611 on: June 24, 2013, 05:52:47 pm »

Well, I'm honestly not sure.  I avoid bleed weapons in favor of ultra/greatswords, it's not my fault all the bleed options are small and laughable.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1612 on: June 24, 2013, 05:58:59 pm »

It'd be good to know, since if I'm going to stand under him whacking at his shins, I might as well suddenly do immense damage every 5 or so hits.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1613 on: June 24, 2013, 06:21:06 pm »

A Google search informs me that, while Smough is susceptible to bleed damage, Ornstein is not.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1614 on: June 25, 2013, 10:19:42 am »

A Google search informs me that, while Smough is susceptible to bleed damage, Ornstein is not.

Most enemies in "Heavy Metal Armor" do not bleed. A good example would be the heavy steel armor knight you meet in the Parish and Sen's Fortress.
Dragons and Demons bleed, and bleed a lot. I suspect they are extra vulnerable to it.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1615 on: June 25, 2013, 11:48:59 am »

Most enemies in "Heavy Metal Armor" do not bleed. A good example would be the heavy steel armor knight you meet in the Parish and Sen's Fortress.
No, those guys bleed. I'm pretty sure I've bled these guys with my uchigatana.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1616 on: June 25, 2013, 12:06:10 pm »

No, those guys bleed. I'm pretty sure I've bled these guys with my uchigatana.

I couldn't bleed them with the Bandit Knife last time I tried. I should try again, I don't think I've killed that one in my NG+ yet.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1617 on: July 05, 2013, 05:28:36 pm »

Darkwraithing the Duke's Archives. I find a guy AFK at the bonfire. So I lay down a line of prism stones - 55 total - leading to the chest of prism stones. Also leave the guy 5 humanity and 5 demon titanite (he was using the gargoyle spear). That should teach him what happens when you go AFK unhollowed.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1618 on: July 05, 2013, 05:38:27 pm »

Lame, you should've turned on the phonograph.
Shoes...

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1619 on: July 05, 2013, 05:56:13 pm »

He was through the jail segment, so he probably wouldn't even notice. I did open up the bookshelf shortcut.
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 127