Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 127

Author Topic: Dark Souls  (Read 148248 times)

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Souls
« Reply #1485 on: June 18, 2013, 11:05:48 pm »

That is a gloriously indirect answer from Miyazaki. Thank you kindly for the info.

Strategy for defeating Manus:
Summon Sif to distract Manus in case you get hit.
Block every attack. Keep close.
Magic rain? Keep circling Manus and hope like hell it doesn't kill you.
Block the rage attack too. If you keep blocking and moving back, there are three possibilities:
  Every attack hits and you'll lose a maximum of half health.
  Some attacks miss and you retreat successfully.
  Manus gets distracted and redirects the attack to Sif.
After the fight, look up Dusk's dress.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1486 on: June 18, 2013, 11:07:28 pm »

I dislike the Sl 120 standard. My characters always seem to reach their optimal level at around 50-60, and past that I just seem to end up pumping a bunch of levels into Vitality and Endurance, which tends to make the build more generic.
I prefer the diversity and the sacrifices you have to make at lower levels. Want to max magic damage? Okay, but you won't be able to tank hits. Want to wear the best armour but maintain mobility? Sure, have fun with your elemental weapons and lack of magic. Jack of all trades? Fine, but don't run off crying when you get beaten up by someone with a more focused build.

Of course, you could argue that having a high level generic build allows you to explore a greater variety of techniques and equipment than a more limited low level build, but I prefer having several unique characters at low levels to one high level character.

It probably has to do with the fact that I can complete a low level build, including a maxed out weapon, shortly after I get the Lordvessel, but getting a character to 120 usually requires me to go a decent ways into NG+ or do some boring grinding. I also like the early areas more than later ones like Izalith and New Londo.

It also comes down to what type of PvP you prefer. If you prefer organized dueling then 100-120 is obviously going to have the most action for you, but for invading you'll want to stay at a level appropriate for the area. Also, darkwraiths and people using the red soapstone can invade/be summoned by anyone with a higher level than them while only invading down by (10 + %10 their SL) levels, so a Sl 1 red phantom will have the most potential PvP action, decreasing as levels are gained.

I also wish that Gravelord phantoms would show up in NG. While it might be unfair for new players, it would certainly make things more interesting for experienced players, not to mention the Gravelords, who are far too rare as things stand.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1487 on: June 18, 2013, 11:16:42 pm »

Strategy for defeating Manus:
Summon Sif to distract Manus in case you get hit.
Block every attack. Keep close.
Magic rain? Keep circling Manus and hope like hell it doesn't kill you.
Block the rage attack too. If you keep blocking and moving back, there are three possibilities:
  Every attack hits and you'll lose a maximum of half health.
  Some attacks miss and you retreat successfully.
  Manus gets distracted and redirects the attack to Sif.
After the fight, look up Dusk's dress.

Alternatively, shoot him to death with a ranged weapon from complete safety before you even go through the fog gate. ;)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1488 on: June 18, 2013, 11:17:16 pm »

I still feel like there's not enough levels for 50-60.  I've done a non-elemental build (level 45 ninja with 20vit/end and 32 dex, +15 uchigatana), and yeah, I could two-shot most people my level with my bigass scaling, but I could've done that with a lightning weapon too and put those points in vit.

That being said I do like the lower level invasion gameplay.  Not bullying like SL10 or anything, but I have a couple SL50s I invade Sen's and Anor Londo with.

For a good time, make an SL50 Silver Knight with Dragonslayer bow.  Invade on the balcony just before the second bonfire in Anor Londo.  Run up the ramp and join the Silver Knight Archers.  Get interesting messages from the people you invade.
Shoes...

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1489 on: June 19, 2013, 01:56:57 am »

I still feel like there's not enough levels for 50-60.  I've done a non-elemental build (level 45 ninja with 20vit/end and 32 dex, +15 uchigatana), and yeah, I could two-shot most people my level with my bigass scaling, but I could've done that with a lightning weapon too and put those points in vit.

That being said I do like the lower level invasion gameplay.  Not bullying like SL10 or anything, but I have a couple SL50s I invade Sen's and Anor Londo with.

For a good time, make an SL50 Silver Knight with Dragonslayer bow.  Invade on the balcony just before the second bonfire in Anor Londo.  Run up the ramp and join the Silver Knight Archers.  Get interesting messages from the people you invade.
For best results, stand right in the middle of that buttress/bridge with a greatshield up.  Watch them fucking panic.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #1490 on: June 19, 2013, 02:15:45 am »

That PvP strategy seems a bit trollish, if not outright griefing. As it is written, "Ye who helpeth the silver archers art the scum of the Earthe."

Anyway, at level 96, my mage has maxed out mage stats. It seems Attunement and Intelligence stop giving benefit after 50, so I won't waste any levels putting them past that. Should I focus now on Faith (to make available more magic loadouts), Endurance (It's only 10), or Strength/Dexterity?
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1491 on: June 19, 2013, 07:08:24 am »

Endurance for more dodge time.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1492 on: June 19, 2013, 07:28:36 am »

You people are devious. I love it.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1493 on: June 19, 2013, 08:37:31 am »

So I was pondering this for a few days, and had an encounter with a player who used this to some extent.

He wore Smough's armor, and used a Dragonslayer Greatbow.  I invaded him in the forest, what he did was to cast Iron Flesh on himself, and then lock on and aim the greatbow.  He kept that pose, and I ran around him, but the autotarget kept him facing me at all times.  I eventually forgot how Iron Flesh works, and attacked him, causing my weapon to bounce, and he got a point-blank shot with the greatbow.

On a similar build, I've been debating a Havel's Armor + Poise Ring with the Dragonslayer Greatbow.  If they come to attack you, you should have enough poise to stand up to a light attack, and most strong attacks have long enough animations that you can strike before they do.  And if they try to throw magic at you, well, you've already got a ranged weapon ready and they have to stop moving to cast.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1494 on: June 19, 2013, 08:44:40 am »

There's kind of a cap on poise where more poise does nothing.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1495 on: June 19, 2013, 09:44:25 am »

Considering Havel's has the most poise in the game, I don't think the wolf ring would do anything.

There are two workarounds to your strategy:
  Attack from very far away, taking advantage of their slowness.
  Use cover. There are plenty of places where you can shoot but cannot be hit by an autolock attack, and the great arrows only make it worse.

And it seems you guys were talking about THE WALL. I approve.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1496 on: June 19, 2013, 09:55:06 am »

And it seems you guys were talking about THE WALL. I approve.
This is the best thing.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1497 on: June 19, 2013, 10:24:52 am »

What a magnificent asshole.  8)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1498 on: June 19, 2013, 12:09:17 pm »

Wait out the iron flesh, wog, pivot backstab, unlocking your camera makes it hard to hit you with a bow.
Shoes...

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1499 on: June 19, 2013, 12:11:23 pm »

Wait out the iron flesh, wog, pivot backstab, unlocking your camera makes it hard to hit you with a bow.

Can't you just roll under the arrows? (forward dodge) greatbows are slow, and if you can get close and get an opening, you should be good
Also, toxic mist. acid cloud!
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 127