Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 127

Author Topic: Dark Souls  (Read 148303 times)

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Souls
« Reply #1380 on: June 12, 2013, 02:10:58 pm »

Then I went on and found Solaire and his new hat. That was sad. "amazing armour ahead" they said.
Be wary of liar.

Spoiler: Real spoiler (click to show/hide)
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1381 on: June 12, 2013, 02:21:00 pm »

I recently beat Sif. He wasn't all that hard, really. Easier then dealing with Nito's FRICKING BONE DOGS. But yeah, killed him, found the cat.
" I don't understand what you're saying! Yes! Join a covenant? You're a cat! I like cats! Yes!"
Thus was my reasoning for joining the Cat Covenant. I invaded the same two pairs of guys farming people like me for souls twice each, abandoned the covenant.  Then I went on and found Solaire and his new hat. That was sad. "amazing armour ahead" they said.
Be wary of liar.
They don't get your souls if they kill a blue invader.  They're only doing that to dick around.  Blue invaders get souls+item if they win, but if killed they lose nothing.  Red invaders lose 50% of their souls if they're killed and their active humanity.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1382 on: June 12, 2013, 02:31:02 pm »

I'm pretty sure red invaders don't lose souls either.  I've had some nasty losing streaks and not lost anything.

You get souls for killing blue invaders, red ones, white phantoms, anybody you kill, but no one loses anything.

I'm making The Fucking Lawbringer.  Ricard's rapier 40dex/45faith DMB build.  Don't get parried, guilty bastards.  Not done with him yet of course, I'm farming chuds in the forest right now.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 02:33:25 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Aptus

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed ôo
    • View Profile
« Reply #1383 on: June 12, 2013, 02:40:06 pm »

Then I went on and found Solaire and his new hat. That was sad. "amazing armour ahead" they said.
Be wary of liar.

Spoiler: Real spoiler (click to show/hide)

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1384 on: June 12, 2013, 02:41:11 pm »

They don't get your souls if they kill a blue invader.  They're only doing that to dick around.  Blue invaders get souls+item if they win, but if killed they lose nothing.  Red invaders lose 50% of their souls if they're killed and their active humanity.
Not exactly. A host killing an invader will get 50% of the souls required for the invader to gain a level. This is the same for all invader types. The souls aren't actually taken from the invader, they're just free souls. Likewise, the invader will get 10% of the souls required for the host to level up plus a reward depending on the method of invasion if they win.

You're probably getting confused because blue phantoms can invade while hollow and don't lose anything when they die while red phantoms leave a bloodstain at the spot they invaded with all their souls and humanity.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1385 on: June 12, 2013, 05:38:24 pm »

Oh my god I hate the darkroot forest thief.

Seriously.  It's like playing poker for money against a guy who's never played poker before.  He acts in ways no one could possibly predict or comprehend.  It's not like some superior strategy, it's like he's from another dimension and is acting according to rules that don't exist in this hu-man world.

EDIT:  I probably sound like a big-time whiner from my last few posts but I'm feeling pretty good right now in reality.  My guy's up to the gear and soul level to start really manhandling these forest goons, I've won three of the last four double-teams and the fourth was big time twinks.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 05:55:38 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

ShoesandHats

• Bay Watcher
  • Shoes cancels Drink: Intensified by Penguin Man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1386 on: June 12, 2013, 05:39:24 pm »

Could someone with a soul level 1 character put down their summon sign in front of the Capra Demon fog wall?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1387 on: June 12, 2013, 06:02:05 pm »

Could someone with a soul level 1 character put down their summon sign in front of the Capra Demon fog wall?
What platform?

ShoesandHats

• Bay Watcher
  • Shoes cancels Drink: Intensified by Penguin Man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1388 on: June 12, 2013, 06:07:08 pm »

What platform?

Nevermind, I beat him, but for future reference, PC.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1389 on: June 12, 2013, 06:09:06 pm »

Psst, if someone named AmbienLikesBoys invades you, kill yourself or disconnect immediately.  He's one of those hackers that can steal all your stats and ruin your character.

EDIT:  In more detail, he pulled a scrapped effect that drains soul levels from the game and used CheatEngine to apply it to his Avelyn, then shredded my stats without lowering my soul level, and The Fucking Lawbringer was no more.

Or was he?!

Long story short I just used mugenmonkey to find out my adjusted soul level and cheatengine to fix it, then an infinite soul trainer to bring me back to where I was.

lol ur so bad hacker gg.  wut r u, a casul?

EDIT EDIT:  And thank god I fixed it too because I love this guy.  Ricard's Rapier demolishes bosses.  Pop Power Within and DMB, two-hand that fucker, hit R2, and watch the boss's healthbar disappear.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 08:53:31 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Lukewarm

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps, if you ask nicely.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1390 on: June 12, 2013, 09:14:03 pm »

I can definitely tell why the Silver Knight Spear is so loved. It's great. I think the spear +5 does more damage faster then my Raw Zwiehander +1. Shields are for chumps and people who want protection, groups of which I am unaffiliated with.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1391 on: June 12, 2013, 09:20:40 pm »

I can definitely tell why the Silver Knight Spear is so loved. It's great. I think the spear +5 does more damage faster then my Raw Zwiehander +1. Shields are for chumps and people who want protection, groups of which I am unaffiliated with.
Raw weapons do not scale with any stats, so they deal flat damage.  The spear scales with dex mainly, so a decent dex character can get more damage rating out of it than any raw weapon.

You're also not using your spear right :P  It doesn't use much strength scaling, so when you two-hand it, it adds x1.5 strength modifier, which is not much since it's not str heavy.  So you don't lose out on much by one-handing, and one of the biggest deals about spears is you can use them while blocking, and stab over your shield.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1392 on: June 12, 2013, 09:40:03 pm »

Also raw is pretty terrible in general except maybe as a temporary upgrade while your stats are low.  Elemental weapons will do much more damage if you're not scaling, and +15 normal is much much stronger than +5 raw.

Also what Girlinhat said about the shield.  Spear and Zweihander are about as far apart as you can get.  With the Zweihander you should definitely be two-handing, and go for a stunlock (remember to drop the bass)
Shoes...

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1393 on: June 12, 2013, 10:23:59 pm »

There's not a -ton- of use for Raw.  Your scaling stats are strength, dex, int, and faith.  These are your greatswords/axes/hammers, for strength, and straight/curved swords and spears for dex.  They can then be upgrades either way to go for magic or divine enhancements, or just regular, so you can cover your 4 scaling stats.

The non-scaling stats are vitality, endurance, attunement, and resistance.  The ONLY time that raw weapons would be decent, is if you're building your character based solely on one of these stats.  But all of these basically cap at 40-50, except Endurance keeps adding weight capacity.  But, the only time you need a lot of endurance is when you're using heavy armor, greatshield, and greatsword - which means you need strength, making strength your big stat.

Even when you DO have poor weapon scaling, then you get your fire or lightning weapons, which also do not scale but have extra elemental damage that bypasses regular defense.

(I'd even say that elemental weapons are only good for dex builds.  Strength builds have strong weapons that scale off a strong attribute, so those ultra greatswords get incredible damage when you count scaling - dex also scales, but the weapon's base damage is lower so 'damage increases with dex' is lower.)

Lukewarm

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps, if you ask nicely.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1394 on: June 12, 2013, 10:43:03 pm »

Raw'ing the Zwiehander wasn't my best idea, but I've just been guessing on stats and whatnot. Since I don't do PvP and I'm on my first playthrough, I haven't given actual stats a second thought.
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 127