Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 127

Author Topic: Dark Souls  (Read 148337 times)

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Souls
« Reply #1350 on: June 08, 2013, 06:39:02 pm »

Aaaand the game is too easy. Took down good ol' bridge drake pal without too much trouble.

Really? How? I've done it like five times now but the bastard still gives me trouble. It's pretty much the only boss that I consider to be genuinely hard. Or to put it another way, I still haven't found a good way to cheese him. I use the glitch that causes his big hovering-while-spewing-flame-downwards AOE attack to miss you if you stand in a particular place, but that's still not 100% reliable. If he decides to dash forward, I'm either killed by the dash attack or the follow-up.

My tactic is aggro'ing with the bow while in the staircase, and then run beneath his feet before he spews his first flame, then just maim him.

And as for best farming spots, the phalanxes of Ariamis is definitely the best farmspot in the game. their HP is low enough where you can get the 120% damage bonus along with ring + avarice, and the bonfire is extremely close. a good 5,000 souls/minute once you get it down.
Ah, I wish I had been lucky enough to be scum.
I'd make such great scum...

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1351 on: June 08, 2013, 06:58:14 pm »

I got my first Darkmoon Blade invasion!

Did not go well for him.  My myriad sins remain unpunished.  I think they should add some stuff to make darkmoon invasions more frequent and interesting.  Maybe let them invade you when you've killed the boss, and just add more fog walls.  No escaping vengeance.

Remember, if you don't sin then Velka died for nothing.
Shoes...

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1352 on: June 10, 2013, 09:55:08 am »

Aaaand the game is too easy. Took down good ol' bridge drake pal without too much trouble.

Really? How? I've done it like five times now but the bastard still gives me trouble. It's pretty much the only boss that I consider to be genuinely hard. Or to put it another way, I still haven't found a good way to cheese him. I use the glitch that causes his big hovering-while-spewing-flame-downwards AOE attack to miss you if you stand in a particular place, but that's still not 100% reliable. If he decides to dash forward, I'm either killed by the dash attack or the follow-up.

Step 1: Give him a good ol' Gough Arrow to the face (Gough Bow +5, easy with the purchaseable titanite)
Step 2: Run up and smack him with 2H +15 Scythe running attack (very good str/dex scaling weapon)
Step 3: Back down the stairs, switch to Black Knight Shield and peek out waiting for him to stop breathing fire. The fire attacks don't do damage, but drain a LOT of stamina with the shield (black knight shield is 95% flame resistance, decent stability)
Step 4: He will sometimes bite, tail swipe or walk around and stomp. As long as he is not breathing, run out and smack him.

The trick here is to keep running out, as he will either keep breathing or will fly back. Flying back is bad, as he will heal if he is low. I think a Gough Greatbow with Gough Arrows and a Hawk Ring can outdamage that, but I wouldn't bet on it.

A good thing to know is that if you are trying to shield his flame while he flies, use autolock before blocking. The flame direction is NOT the same as what you see, and actually seems to come either from him directly (as he moves), or from his destination. Either way, if you don't know that, you will die quickly.

He used to be a LOT easier on the console on release, as he would rarely breathe fire, and almost never do the vertical breath attack. He has definitely been tuned for the PTD edition, but is still quite manageable.

If you actually want to cheese him, knock of his tail. Rest. Then keep shooting at his tail again, and he is likely to glitch and die. Just like that.
But that's no fun, no fun at all.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 10:03:25 am by CognitiveDissonance »
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Lukewarm

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps, if you ask nicely.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1353 on: June 10, 2013, 07:49:06 pm »

I thought Dwarf Fortress made me feel good about killing kids. But I know better now.
Dark Souls? Humanity? This is bliss.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1354 on: June 10, 2013, 07:52:57 pm »

Beating the Bridge Drake took me about 30 tries, at least. It basically comes down to 100% random luck on whether he will fuck you with one of those attacks. Knowing the dead zone for his downward breath attack is honestly the best tactic there is. The rest is killing him before he decides to just completely screw you over. So better gear helps with that. I think I did him at SL ~40 with the Drake Sword. And it probably lasted about 3 minutes?
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1355 on: June 10, 2013, 11:22:49 pm »

Beating the Bridge Drake took me about 30 tries, at least. It basically comes down to 100% random luck on whether he will fuck you with one of those attacks. Knowing the dead zone for his downward breath attack is honestly the best tactic there is. The rest is killing him before he decides to just completely screw you over. So better gear helps with that. I think I did him at SL ~40 with the Drake Sword. And it probably lasted about 3 minutes?

Ugh, that gave me flashbacks to the first time I did that. Same strategy... way more than 3 minutes >.<
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1356 on: June 11, 2013, 09:25:01 am »

My strategy's always been to just run screaming past him.  If you get into the gatehouse he'll fly away until you run across the bridge again.  I think I've only actually killed him once.

My sunbro build is finished.  SL70, 30 faith, +15 claymore, mainly using sunlight blade and great lightning spear.  Pretty decent at helping kill bosses and from what I've seen in the forest probably good for protecting against invaders too but nobody's invaded one of my hosts yet :c

The only problem is Summoning Failed.  Apparently it takes an hour or so for the game to build up a good enough pool for you to summon and be summon effectively.  That would explain why my PvP is always terrible when I first get on.
Shoes...

Aptus

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed ôo
    • View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: June 11, 2013, 04:49:47 pm »

Shiiit the devs of this game are pure evil.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: June 11, 2013, 07:14:55 pm »

Yeah, even though I knew the rumors were false, I gave Sif a few minutes to retreat because I felt so bad. Even worse if you get the alternate opening from doing AotA first.

The greatest evil of the developers in Dark Souls will always be the archer segment in Anor Londo.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: June 11, 2013, 07:23:23 pm »

I love killing Sif.

Also I just saw the worst thing ever.  Period.  Full on minmax poise stack gear, balder armor and hollow warrior pants, dead angle greatscythe, buckler for impossible fucking parries, and of course abyss magic.
Shoes...

ShoesandHats

• Bay Watcher
  • Shoes cancels Drink: Intensified by Penguin Man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1360 on: June 11, 2013, 07:28:30 pm »

I love killing Sif.

Also I just saw the worst thing ever.  Period.  Full on minmax poise stack gear, balder armor and hollow warrior pants, dead angle greatscythe, buckler for impossible fucking parries, and of course abyss magic.

get gud scrub

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1361 on: June 11, 2013, 07:32:48 pm »

I was actually about to say he was stacking poese with the dog ring.

But yes, he was exactly that.

I killed him and died seconds afterward to power within.

EDIT:  So far I'm very disappointed in Sl120 pvp.  Sure 60-80 has its problems but up here if it's not double-teaming moms and dads it's shameless minmaxing and dark magic.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 08:08:38 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

ShoesandHats

• Bay Watcher
  • Shoes cancels Drink: Intensified by Penguin Man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1362 on: June 11, 2013, 09:00:21 pm »

Well, I just started my SL 1 playthrough, and I've already gotten up to the Undead Parish with relative ease. It's really cool that Fromsoft made leveling completely optional.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1363 on: June 11, 2013, 09:06:40 pm »

I wish i could disable leveling in dragon's dogma.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1364 on: June 11, 2013, 09:19:47 pm »

Well, I decided to go to Oolacile Township to see if the PvP there is any more interesting than Dadmom Forest and How Min Can You Max Burg, but ran into a brick wall named NG+ Artorias.

I can't kill him.  Nothing works.  NG Artorias was easy but I am incapable of beating this fucker and I've tried everything I have available, from pyromancy to power within to just turtling.  He hits me even when he doesn't hit me and now I've got like 200,000 souls and 16 humanity stuck in his arena with him and since I'm SL120 I can't find anyone for co-op.

And to top it all off I know Oolacile Township is just gonna be the same shit as Burg.
Shoes...
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 127