Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 127

Author Topic: Dark Souls  (Read 148348 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Souls
« Reply #1320 on: June 07, 2013, 08:52:18 am »

Don't just kill him if you're still low level, Shiva will fuck you up and you'll never be able to get to him.

Kick him, and as soon as you hit the button to kick pull back on the movement stick.  If you accidentally attack (easy to do) it'll turn you around and you'll miss, but if you kick it won't turn you around.
Shoes...

foil

• Bay Watcher
  • Yarr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1321 on: June 07, 2013, 09:05:28 am »

What are the benefits of the covenants?  Do they give stat boosts or just access to their shops?

Im just about to start heading down to the depths to aim for the 2nd bell and was wondering if ive missed a few boss battles or etc etc?  Im trying to do as much as poss and level lots before venturing into new areas and dont want to miss things i wont bother about much later.  Do you visit all bosses to progress through the game or can you miss most of them out?

Also is there much game after ringing the bell or is it close to final boss battle after 2nd bell?

Aptus

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed ôo
    • View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: June 07, 2013, 09:28:09 am »

What are the benefits of the covenants?  Do they give stat boosts or just access to their shops?

Im just about to start heading down to the depths to aim for the 2nd bell and was wondering if ive missed a few boss battles or etc etc?  Im trying to do as much as poss and level lots before venturing into new areas and dont want to miss things i wont bother about much later.  Do you visit all bosses to progress through the game or can you miss most of them out?

Also is there much game after ringing the bell or is it close to final boss battle after 2nd bell?

Depending on the order you do things you can either be almost at the end or have a lot left to do.

Gamerboy4life

• Bay Watcher
  • Helicopegasus
    • View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: June 07, 2013, 09:41:07 am »

Well, seeing as how the 2nd bell is in blighttown, if I recall, you'll want to be fairly strong before going down there. It's a frustrating area. (Levels 40-50, if I recall.)

You'll want to do the Depths regardless, but after finishing that area, do not go directly into Blighttown, go and level bit in Darkroot garden and basin, and do not forget to return to the Undead Asylum. If you want to and have the rusted iron ring, you can kill the hydra for some heavier armor and another ring, plus you can fight Havel in a nearby tower for his LIFESAVING ring, that raises your max equipment load by a considerable amount.

Once you enter blighttown, be prepared for one of the more annoying areas in the game. You will be poisoned a lot, so farm/buy some purple moss, and have it ready. There are also several entrances, through Darkroot basin, (There is a cave just past the dark knight you have to fight, complete with a bonfire) through the depths, and from Firelink/New Londo Ruins, where you go down the elevator, and go right up a nearby tower to the Valley of the Drakes, There'll be a small bridge, and you go across to enter Blighttown from the actual exit.

But then again, I'm still fairly new to the game myself, so others may have better advice.
I need to put something interesting here.

Calech

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1324 on: June 07, 2013, 09:55:09 am »

It varies. Some of them give you exclusive access to spells / miracles (in some cases you need to stay with the covenant to use some spells / miracles, but not all), some give you shortcuts through the game (well, Chaos Servant does), most have some effect on the co-op PvE or PvP gameplay. (It's said that the PvE focussed covenants are 'drawn closer' on the network so they should have fewer incursions from the PvP factions, but as I don't know the system I can't confirm it personally). (Source for covenant info - note that the wiki may contain spoilers, if you want to avoid those to die more often be pleasantly surprised by each new discovery)

You can skip some of the bosses, yes, but it takes a lot more work to do so, usually. The only truly missable ones are in side areas that you may not necessarily visit (or re-visit), namely the Stray Demon, Priscila, and the DLC bosses. If you're following a fairly standard path you'll find every other boss.

(I believe by using shortcuts you can skip bosses like the Taurus Demon, Capra Demon and Gaping Dragon, since you can access the Undead Parish and Blighttown through other means, but the 'required' bosses can't be skipped as far as I know)

Once you've rung the second bell you still have to acquire a certain item and subsequently kill a number of other bosses in the dark corners of the world... you're probably about a quarter through by that point, maybe. If you've explored up to some impenetrable orange fog you may be a little further ahead though.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1325 on: June 07, 2013, 10:13:03 am »

(I believe by using shortcuts you can skip bosses like the Taurus Demon, Capra Demon and Gaping Dragon, since you can access the Undead Parish and Blighttown through other means, but the 'required' bosses can't be skipped as far as I know)

So you know, the Capra Demon should NOT be skipped. I was watching a speedrun (boneshield is OP as a weapon) and the guy found this out the hard way. It inhibits... something I can't recall... from spawning. Very arbitrarily.
EDIT: I remember now!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

As far as difficulty goes, judge your Blighttown performance by your Gaping Dragon performance. Did you find that fight easy? You should be fine. Was it hard? Prepare and take it really slow.

Hint: The bigger they are, the harder they bleed
Hint: Have you checked the bird's nest back at the shrine? The bird even dropped a key to something nearby. May be worth a visit before you're in too deep
Hint: Flash Sweat will save your life. Trust me.
HINT: So will purple/blooming moss. I hear it grows everywhere in the Garden.
SUPER BONUS HINT: When you find the secret chest, keep looking further. Maybe come back later, though.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 10:28:29 am by CognitiveDissonance »
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1326 on: June 07, 2013, 10:25:54 am »

« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 10:53:54 am by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Stworca

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron Tad
    • View Profile
« Reply #1327 on: June 07, 2013, 10:29:03 am »

Couldn't you skip Pinwheel by going to Neat-o's estate via the grave-teleport?
I just ramble incoherently for absolutely no reason.

Baneling

• Bay Watcher
  • Acid Balloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: June 07, 2013, 10:37:40 am »

Ceaseless Discharge is skippable, it's just hard to do so. I think you can skip Pinwheel, maybe, though I'm not sure.
I tend to be a stupid person. Expect me to say/do stupid things and we'll probably get along better!

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1329 on: June 07, 2013, 11:12:59 am »

Couldn't you skip Pinwheel by going to Neat-o's estate via the grave-teleport?

I don't actually know the technique... but why? Pinwheel takes less effort to kill than many regular enemies in the game.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!

Stworca

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron Tad
    • View Profile
« Reply #1330 on: June 07, 2013, 11:34:36 am »

It was just for the sake of listing avoidable bosses. Pinwheel is beaten by the NPC helper alone  ::)

Great music, though
I just ramble incoherently for absolutely no reason.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: June 07, 2013, 11:42:12 am »

My favorite music is O&S.  Manus (The hands of fate?!) is also pretty good.

I'm making yet another character, this time my first crack at a dedicated co-op guy.  SL70 seems like a good stopping point for quick summons on most of the popular bosses.  Any suggestions?.  Claymore is going base +15 for Sunlight blade, I might change up the gear and get an elemental weapon in addition, depending.
Shoes...

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1332 on: June 07, 2013, 12:00:56 pm »

My favorite music is O&S.  Manus (The hands of fate?!) is also pretty good.

I'm making yet another character, this time my first crack at a dedicated co-op guy.  SL70 seems like a good stopping point for quick summons on most of the popular bosses.  Any suggestions?.  Claymore is going base +15 for Sunlight blade, I might change up the gear and get an elemental weapon in addition, depending.

Consider Princess' Guard, even if Gwyn is a lil' bitch. Being able to heal the host is amazing (or so I hear. it's one of my planned future games.)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1333 on: June 07, 2013, 03:25:23 pm »

Sunbro is the only covenant option.

Also, has anyone discovered the sublime joy of the B-RB attack?  I've used it twice in PvP and it killed the other guy both times.  Awesome for people who like to parry, you'll stab him while he's recovering from the parry.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 03:28:02 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1334 on: June 07, 2013, 03:30:20 pm »

Sunbro is the only covenant option.

Also, has anyone discovered the sublime joy of the B-RB attack?  I've used it twice in PvP and it killed the other guy both times.  Awesome for people who like to parry, you'll stab him while he's recovering from the parry.

Do you mean dodge back-lunge forward attack? Be aware that this also puts you in a vulnerable animation for an extremely long time, and somebody with good reflexes (and a spear, or similar) can really take advantage of that.
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 127