Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 127

Author Topic: Dark Souls  (Read 148387 times)

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Souls
« Reply #1260 on: June 01, 2013, 04:05:38 pm »

There are a number of viable strategies for the Capra Demon once the dogs are dead. Stairs, roll to dodge, block every attack (which works with only half-decent shield and endurance). Staying close enough keeps him from performing his 2H jump, which is only really dangerous attack.

Calech

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1261 on: June 01, 2013, 04:37:02 pm »

Has anyone any tips on getting to the female undead merchant?  Ive just rang the 1st bell a little while ago and im around level 20.

Im struggling to get past the area where there is a load of dogs and assassins that jump out of the building, i can manage to get past the 1st set of dogs and assassins but get my ass handed to me every time i get to the next set of enemy with 3-5 dogs and same with assassins.

Dogs - use shield to block, counterattack them once they've attacked. You should generally be fighting these separately, as discussed above.

Assassins - same thing, except they come in groups of three. Backing away should draw the group apart, and if you attack whilst they're in recoil from hitting your shield you (should) even get bonus damage.

You don't need to fight the Capra Demon to reach the Female Undead Merchant, so if that's your goal, don't. Do remember to open up the shortcut when you get to her though!

Be wary of the pair of ambushing assassins between the fog gate and the Blighttown door, though; one assassin is in plain sight, if you run up to attack them the other will backstab you.

Pretty much the whole above bit relies on you having a 100% Physical Block shield; if you don't, you may want to go back and buy one, as it makes this section much easier. (If you can block Capra Demon's attacks - minus the double-overhead-swing, at least - he's completely trivial. Once you kill the dogs, anyway.)

foil

• Bay Watcher
  • Yarr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1262 on: June 01, 2013, 05:17:48 pm »

Ah sweet im going to try that again then after a shmoke n a pancake.  I almost managed it the 1st try then it went downhill and just got me more angry every try after, tho had been on for few hours by that point so was pretty much spent.

When facing the demon on the towers i used the drop and firebomb trick to get passed, then on the 1st bell demon i used 2x summons and stayed hidden and firebombed from afar.  Is this playstyle cheaty or is it a valid way to play?

I dont think i could have managed either demon face on and assume it will only get harder.  Are these dirty tactics the way the game is supposed to be played or am i supposed to be able to go toe to toe with demons at level 15-25?

I suppose it brings me to the next question about the next demon near the female merchant..  Ive seen a video where you can poison the demon from the other side of the fog gate without ever having to see him, is this a valid tactic or an exploit?  Id rather just stop playing now rather than having to cheat my way past all the boss fights.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1263 on: June 01, 2013, 06:50:56 pm »

Ranged attacks and phantom summons are perfectly valid ways to play the game. If you rely on them, though, later bosses will be very tough by comparison. You're kind of supposed to be able to go toe to toe with demons at any point; the game is hard.

foil

• Bay Watcher
  • Yarr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1264 on: June 01, 2013, 07:28:06 pm »

Haha yea, ive just watched a 30 min speedrun and decided my tactics need adjusting.

I might do ok now anyways as since ive picked up the game for the 2nd time, im actually using block now instead of trying to hack my way through everything on 1st sight lol and has made the last 10 levels easy compared to the 1st 10.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1265 on: June 01, 2013, 11:00:23 pm »

Nulzilcho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: June 01, 2013, 11:57:58 pm »

Apologies if it's been posted already (I checked back a few pages and couldn't see any mention), but here's a video from two months ago of gameplay from the sequel that's due out later this year.

I'm excited.  :o
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1267 on: June 02, 2013, 12:28:16 am »

nenjin already provided a pretty new topic for DS2, though there hasn't been much to discuss yet.

Nulzilcho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1268 on: June 02, 2013, 01:27:00 am »

My mistake, the search engine wouldn't let me search "dark souls 2" (owing to the lack of characters in '2') and "dark souls sequel" didn't give me anything.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1269 on: June 02, 2013, 10:44:10 am »

I'm almost finished with my Black Knight build but I'm running up against some of the annoying little issues with the game.

Like, I get why you can't be invaded after you've killed the boss, but I feel like there could've been a better way to go about it.  Since I wanted to be a Darkwraith, I can't play in the forest, and since I'm in NG+, I'll have to play the whole damn game to get to the Kiln.

I'm starting to consider a lower level, more interesting build.  Maybe Swashy's level 50 Sen's Rooftop Defender build, or the level 50 Lifehunt Reaper build, which also looks pretty cool.  Unfortunately that one looks best with the Dark Armor which means I"ll have to wait until NG+ if I want to play in the forest.

Hmmm.

Shoes...

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1270 on: June 02, 2013, 11:48:52 am »

I guess I'll post here rather than necroing a 3-year-old topic.

I just finally managed to beat Demon's Souls pretty recently. What an utterly fantastic game. I started out as a Wanderer and finished around SL75 with a Sharp Kilij+5 (I found two pure bladestones while hunting for chunks, hah) and Dark Silver Shield +3. I never touched the magic/miracles system once. :P

I loved the aesthetic of the game, especially the designs of some of the creatures (Storm King, Dragon God and Old One, I'm looking at you). I loved the fact that it was all so unrelentingly bleak, but the messages/ghosts of the other players gave a sense of everyone working together against enormous odds. I even liked the fact that it was so unforgiving and uncaring (what, you bumped the controller while talking to a vital NPC and attacked them? hope you like new game+!), because it meant that every victory felt like it had been wrested from a system that was actively conspiring against you.

I own Dark Souls on Steam but I haven't so much as glanced at a screenshot from it yet. I'm planning to take a break before starting it because I liked Demon's Souls so much I have a feeling the "changed it now it sucks" part of my brain would be in high gear if I tried it now. I have a friend insisting that it's an improvement in every way, so I guess we'll see. I sure hope crossbows have been improved, because they were terrible in Demon's Souls (no upgrades or stat scaling) but I used them anyway because they're crossbows.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1271 on: June 02, 2013, 12:36:06 pm »

Crossbows do upgrade but no stat scaling. There's also lightning bolts plus lightning upgrade but I prefer heavy bolt and +15 upgrade.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1272 on: June 03, 2013, 08:38:47 am »

Upgraded my weapon to chaos, used 10 humanity, made it to the end of the Silver Knight building in Anor Londo, thought I used the bonfire but didn't, then got knocked off the edge by stupid fucking imps because I can't kill them without any humanity

Lost 11 humanity and 40,000 souls.  Don't care much about the souls since I'm about at the end of my build, but that's a lot of humanity to just throw away and I hate farming it.

EDIT:  I calmed down.  Gonna farm up some more humanity, kill O&S, kill the Four Kings, join the Darkwraiths, kill Kirk and get Fire Tempest, and then my build will be complete.

Pretty sure I can take O&S if Solaire is with me, doubly so if I cheese them with dung pies.  I was starting to get annoyed at my first few attempts until out of nowhere I got hit with a beautiful wombo combo.  Smough hit me with his charge and broke my guard just as Ornstein's lightning spear hit and killed me.  You can't be mad at teamwork like that.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 06:03:42 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #1273 on: June 03, 2013, 06:16:44 pm »

..and then my build will finally be complete!!!!!!!!
*maniacal laughter*

Lukewarm

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps, if you ask nicely.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1274 on: June 03, 2013, 07:06:55 pm »

Well, picked this back up after a little break. Got around to fighting the Demon Firesage, actually killed him this time. Now all I have to do is find my way though the New Londo Ruins, get past where Pinwheel was, and kill the Centipede Demon. I'm not up for a lava walk, and I don't have any more Transient Curses on me at the moment. I guess my only option is to play with Nito.
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 127