Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 127

Author Topic: Dark Souls  (Read 148402 times)

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Souls
« Reply #1230 on: May 23, 2013, 10:27:32 am »

Also, BTW, there is no such thing as a weapon that cannot be parried.

Everything from a humanoid enemy can be "parried"(Exceptions are things like Ceaseless Discharge or O&S).

EVERYTHING. Even arrows can be partially parried.

A partial parry is using a parry to "block" something that can't normally be parried - instead of stunning, it just decreases damage from a hit  by ~70% or so. But also you lose vastly less stamina.

Demon Spear can be fully parried, and like most spears it's not too hard to do.

Parrying in PvP is all about baiting people to attack rather than actually timing it correctly, though. There's too much lag to reliably parry based on animations, most of the time.

My experience contradicts this. Partial parry maybe, but a spear at full range doesn't seem to be able to be parried. This is based on spear-using NPC's (white demons, silver knights), and my very frequent parrying of everything. I *CAN* parry them, but only if I get in close. Attacking from behind guard (shield up+attack) seems to make it even more difficult, maybe because the attack animation is so rapid.

Furthermore, I *have* been parried several times in PvP, but only from point-blank range (less than ideal for spear user) and only for unguarded attacks. Never for full range attacks (I use Demon Spear, Silver Knight Spear and rarely Partizan). Now that I think about it, the Partizan - which has the lowest range - is the only one I have been parried on.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Baneling

• Bay Watcher
  • Acid Balloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1231 on: May 23, 2013, 10:47:32 am »

I think the spear-at-long-range thing is because you're supposed to be close enough to parry it before it gets that far. It's like with weapons clipping through walls - it's because once the animation is a sufficient part of the way through, it assumes it's not going to be blocked or anything and just ignores everything.

Being parried in PvP is either fortunately low lag, the other person getting lucky on the parry timing or them baiting you, assuming you're attacking and parrying anyway.
I tend to be a stupid person. Expect me to say/do stupid things and we'll probably get along better!

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1232 on: May 23, 2013, 12:02:45 pm »

I think the spear-at-long-range thing is because you're supposed to be close enough to parry it before it gets that far. It's like with weapons clipping through walls - it's because once the animation is a sufficient part of the way through, it assumes it's not going to be blocked or anything and just ignores everything.

Being parried in PvP is either fortunately low lag, the other person getting lucky on the parry timing or them baiting you, assuming you're attacking and parrying anyway.

Makes sense, but the end result is the same as I see it - at long range, my extra-long-range-spears (Demon Spear, Silver Knight Spear, Pike) simply won't be parried. Also known as a free hit for me :P
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1233 on: May 24, 2013, 05:51:44 pm »

I've parried shielded silver knight spear attacks at full or near-full range. Not enough time to move in for riposte, but stunning.

ShoesandHats

• Bay Watcher
  • Shoes cancels Drink: Intensified by Penguin Man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: May 25, 2013, 11:32:18 pm »

Well, I'm having a separate, second run from my other character with a pyromancer as opposed to a tanky character. I have to say, the tattered robes are actually pretty damn good. I'm in Anor Londo right now, and they still hold up. Not to mention the fact that a +10 pyromancy flame will fuck shit up, as evidenced by my defeating Ornstein and Smough on the first try.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1235 on: May 25, 2013, 11:41:44 pm »

Light armor FTW. The wanderer set is my favorite, but the tattered robes are pretty good.

Overall, the pyromancer is a powerful build. Magic improves without needing to level up. The only weaknesses of pyromancy are its range and its almost exclusively fire damage.
Most of the game onward shouldn't be especially bad for the pyromancer. Exceptions: Demon Ruins / Lost Izalith, and the final boss. Have fun with those two. Though, there's the beauty of the pyromancer: Your actual build is independent of the pyromancy.

Also, if you didn't know, the pyromancy flame can be ascended past +10, but not by Laurentius.

ShoesandHats

• Bay Watcher
  • Shoes cancels Drink: Intensified by Penguin Man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1236 on: May 25, 2013, 11:44:39 pm »

Light armor FTW. The wanderer set is my favorite, but the tattered robes are pretty good.

Overall, the pyromancer is a powerful build. Magic improves without needing to level up. The only weaknesses of pyromancy are its range and its almost exclusively fire damage.
Most of the game onward shouldn't be especially bad for the pyromancer. Exceptions: Demon Ruins / Lost Izalith, and the final boss. Have fun with those two. Though, there's the beauty of the pyromancer: Your actual build is independent of the pyromancy.

Also, if you didn't know, the pyromancy flame can be ascended past +10, but not by Laurentius.

Yeah, I already got to Quelaana. All of her stuff was too expensive for me at that point, so I only ended up buying some fire orbs.

EDIT: Argh goddamned skeletons. Bonewheels, giant ones, regular cheeky bastards. All of them. I don't like them. I can't get to the first bonfire in the Tomb of the Giants because of 'em.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 01:07:54 am by ShoesandHats »

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1237 on: May 26, 2013, 04:16:27 am »

I was okay with skeletons until I got to the Tomb of the Giants. That was a scarring experience, especially trying to get the Large Divine Ember. Significantly worse than the wheel skeletons in the Painted World.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1238 on: May 26, 2013, 04:28:03 am »

Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1239 on: May 26, 2013, 07:37:58 am »

The way (or my way, at least) to deal with those is to stunlock them with the zweihander.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1240 on: May 26, 2013, 12:20:20 pm »

I didn't know it was possible to stunlock them. They're hardy bastards.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1241 on: May 26, 2013, 05:44:02 pm »

The zweihander's strong attack flattens opponents, which they take a moment to recover from. It's my preferred method of dealing with giant skeletons, these skeletal bastards that walk on all fours, and giant clamshells.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1242 on: May 26, 2013, 06:17:21 pm »

The best strong attack is the Greatword of Artorias's. Sends even silver knights flying back. Really slow, but it gives a stun period during which you can still attack, and the knockback can be very effective around cliffs. The best part is that it's simply fun to watch the enemies fly.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1243 on: May 26, 2013, 06:33:55 pm »

I started up the game just to check it out, since I couldn't remember what that sword does. And yeah, that is pretty funny. But that thing's pretty difficult to get, the Zweihander's accessible right from the start. I also find the Zweihander's moveset somewhat more practical.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: May 26, 2013, 06:57:23 pm »

The Greatsword of Artorias isn't the most practical weapon. Due to its slow heavy attacks, it only has one general-purpose attack. It scales with all four stats and has high requirements, so it's worthless to most people. And when you do use it appropriately, it's still a heavy sword, and its range isn't even that high.

That said, it is the most powerful possible weapon in the game.

Zweihander is great for PvE, but its attacks are a bit too slow to be great in PvP.
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 127