Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 127

Author Topic: Dark Souls  (Read 148505 times)

Absolute Niro

• Bay Watcher
  • I HATE DOGS
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Souls
« Reply #1080 on: March 23, 2013, 05:37:23 pm »

I just got this game a couple of days ago, figured I'd play Dark Souls before the sequel comes out... it's pretty cool. I don't feel it's as hard as people hype it up to be, still though though. My current Xbox is unable to go online so I figure that sorta removes from the experience, but I'll be getting a new one soon anyways.

Does anybody know if the Xbox online community is still active? I always prefer playing games there over PC or PS3. :P

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: March 23, 2013, 05:51:55 pm »

Game is brutal, I got to the undead burg for the first time and immediately a guy invades, I get two-shot and cursed, fun times.

Eh? How exactly were you cursed by a player? That should not be possible, AFAIK.

I don't feel it's as hard as people hype it up to be, still though though.

It's only hard if you treat it as a button mashing spectacle fighter, which it most definitely is not.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: March 23, 2013, 05:59:16 pm »

It's a hard game in comparison to most current 3rd person action RPGs. The last game I played that felt even remotely as hard as DS is the Xbox Ninja Gaiden. Both because they're uncompromising about some stuff.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: March 23, 2013, 06:20:18 pm »

Does anybody know if the Xbox online community is still active? I always prefer playing games there over PC or PS3. :P
It's off and on. If you're in the right skill range, you'll have interactions almost anywhere at the high points of the day, but at the low points you're likely to just get messages.

Light forger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: March 23, 2013, 07:37:26 pm »

I just got this game a couple of days ago, figured I'd play Dark Souls before the sequel comes out... it's pretty cool. I don't feel it's as hard as people hype it up to be, still though though. My current Xbox is unable to go online so I figure that sorta removes from the experience, but I'll be getting a new one soon anyways.

I'm on the xbox if you need anything.

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: March 23, 2013, 09:48:56 pm »

Game is brutal, I got to the undead burg for the first time and immediately a guy invades, I get two-shot and cursed, fun times.
Eh? How exactly were you cursed by a player? That should not be possible, AFAIK.
Hackers.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #1086 on: March 25, 2013, 08:49:25 pm »

Still going strong on my Soul Level 1 playthrough! My kills from the last post:
Asylum Demon - 1 attempt :l
Taurus Demon - 1 attempt w/ 3 other co-operators, flawless victory
Bell Gargoyles - 16+ attempts, 1 attempt once I remembered Solaire existed, flawless victory
Moonlight Butterfly - 1 attempt w/the Witch Lady Whose Name I Cannot Recall Witch Beatrice, flawless victory
Capra Demon - 2 attempts Solo, flawless victory
Chaos Queen Quelaag - 5+ attempts w/Maneater Mildred
Ceaseless Discharge - 1 attempt Solo but used Fog Gate trick, flawless victory
Pinwheel - 1 attempt Solo, I wasn't even ready for it and he was still easy ._.
Gaping Dragon - 10+ attempts w/ Solaire and Lautrec
Iron Golem - 1 attempt w/ Iron Tarkus, flawless victory
Dragon Slayer Ornstein and Executioner Smough - 7 attempts w/jolly co-operation and Solaire

My kills since the original post, might be forgetting one or two:
Crossbreed Priscilla - 1 attempt solo, flawless victory (the actual Painted World is harder anyways)
Stray Demon - 5 attempts solo
Great Grey Wolf Sif - first run: 20+ attempts w/jolly co-operation, ended in failure; second run: 2 attempts solo, upgraded crossbow, reinforced club and pyromancy flame sealed his fate

Also minibosses:
Butcher (2)
Fang Boar (3)
Giant Rat (1)
Havel The Rock
Ricard the Archer
The Black Knight (6+)
The Channeler (1)
The Tower Knight (3+)
Titanite Demon (4+)
Undead Dragon (2)
etc.

Calling all Xbox 360 players, I need help with the remaining bosses, currently the Four Kings! I've got all the time in the world for people who are willing to help to catch up with me, and I can help with ANY bosses you need to kill since I've got the Lord Vessel and can warp. :3
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 08:51:38 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »

Mookzen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: March 25, 2013, 09:39:54 pm »

I think there's this one sword that has a chance to curse. The guy was obviously doing it intentionally. I remember looking it up and fidning something online, but in any case it was the player cursing me 100%.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 09:41:35 pm by Mookzen »

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: March 26, 2013, 07:05:11 pm »

There is a cursed sword, but it doesn't inflict curse. The fact that it's cursed only means it can damage ghosts. AFAIK the only things that can curse you are basilisks and Seath. Mini's probably right, must've been a hacker.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: April 13, 2013, 02:35:09 pm »

Every time I think I've seen the worst Dark Souls has to offer....

The Giant Skeletal Dog things....I simply can't believe how easily they can kill me. They're quick, swivel on their axis to attack, leap and do a 4 hit attack that nothing can stand against...and they're not minibosses! They respawn every fucking time! And when they do their leap attack straight out of the darkness, killing you before you even have a chance to react....

To boot I think I sealed my fate by using the Bonfire in Tomb of the Giants...so the only way out is through.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Squanto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: April 13, 2013, 03:01:51 pm »

To boot I think I sealed my fate by using the Bonfire in Tomb of the Giants...so the only way out is through.
Hace you beaten O&S yet?  If you have, you can just warp out, and if you haven't why are you trying to go that way?  It's just blocked by the golden wall that you can only remove after you beat O&S.
If you can't warp out, just go up the and right along the narrow ledge.  Run, get the large divine ember if you want it, (down the hole in the building), or leave by the ladder (follow the wall).  Up the ladder are two skeletal giants that won't agro on you right when you get up, use a skull lantern to spot them ahead of time if you want, you probably need to kill them to get through, then you'll be near Pinwheel.
Probably no reason other than it giving them a larger B-peen.
The B is for Business.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1091 on: April 13, 2013, 03:46:40 pm »

Yeah, I eventually found the path out after giving up in frustration against the skeleton dogs. Went back, managed to kill the Knight (largely because the first skeleton dog kept leaping off the cliff) cleaned most everything else out....except the part just past the mist door.

As for why I'm there....because I'm doing this without reading a guide for the most part? I finally got the message when I ran into a further 4 skeleton dog things within spitting distance of each other. There's no conceivable way I could beat that in my current state. So I'm out, finally time to do Blight Town.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: April 13, 2013, 05:39:49 pm »

The skeleton dogs are one of the few pieces of the game that make a progression wall rather than a skill wall. If you don't have a powerful weapon or spell, they will kill you because you cannot reasonably kill them.
Every skeleton dog can and should be fought one-on-one. Unless you've really invested in blocking, it's a better strategy to try for distance. Rolling in a backward-side direction (toward the bottom left/right corner of your screen) will evade most attacks, if decently timed. The dogs advance with multiple-swipe attacks, so be aware.
They don't turn too quickly, so you may be able to attack it from behind repeatedly if your weapon is fast enough.
By far, the best strategy is to crush the fuckers with a massive weapon or spell. Once they close in, you won't have time to use most spells, but big weapons - especially with poise - have a good enough chance of hitting.
In short, fuck the catacombs.

Anyone know why the Dark Souls Wiki icon changed?

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: April 14, 2013, 07:31:38 am »

Can someone help this is really pissing me off and makes the game unplayable.

What happens is when moving my character keeps switching from normal jogging speed to a really slow walk and have no idea how to fix it, it just makes it impossible to do anything or dodge.

I'm using a 360 controller right now.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 07:34:06 am by ScriptWolf »
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

Crimson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: April 14, 2013, 09:23:12 am »

Are you fighting Stone Guardians Knights? Though if you are, you'd probably notice their burden aura so never mind.

Instead, can you run normally when using keyboard and are you sure that you're equip load is below the limit (last is unlikely but just to be sure)?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 09:25:52 am by Crimson »
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 127