Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 127

Author Topic: Dark Souls  (Read 148494 times)

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Souls
« Reply #1065 on: March 19, 2013, 03:03:17 pm »

Dodge his attacks? What do you think I've been trying to do all this time?! You can't tank at SL1. How do you think I could've made it this far if I was running around with that kind of mindset.
Sif's attacks can be blocked decently enough with the best shield for SL1. If you have the Cloranthy Ring, it might actually be a viable approach. I'll try it, if I get there.

I'll help you beat him! Its easy with one other fella, you hardly even need Solaire at that point. Hell, I'm already there! Just give me a couple days to get home first, since I'm on holiday at the moment. PM me your Gamertag will-yah? :P
Thanks. I've started another SL1 run (different slot), so if I get there before then I'll do that one instead. Either way, I appreciate it. After O&S I can help you with Sif, if you want. Maybe before, if I'm in a location from which I can easily leave Anor Londo.

Bows help a lot with giants.
Only if you deal decent damage with the bow. If you're on a melee focused build, they'll tear you apart before you can them.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: March 19, 2013, 03:14:51 pm »

I didn't mean to actually kill them, but to lure them towards you one at a time while you're standing in an advantageous place.  Is it even possible to deal decent damage with bows?
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #1067 on: March 19, 2013, 03:19:07 pm »

I didn't mean to actually kill them, but to lure them towards you one at a time while you're standing in an advantageous place.  Is it even possible to deal decent damage with bows?
Yep. At SL1 my Light Crossbow +5 can do about 180 damage with Heavy Bolts. Great for picking off undead, doing scratch damage to bosses, and slaughtering Goddamn Bats.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: March 19, 2013, 03:23:23 pm »

Interesting.  Methinks another playthrough might be in order.

Also I really hope all you guys doing SL1 playthroughs are staying offline while in the newbie areas.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: March 19, 2013, 03:25:52 pm »

The thing with Sif is, he like some other bosses has a ton of trash and distance between him and bonfire. So unlike some bosses you can just zerg until you find the pattern, Sif is far less forgiving. Trudging back through the forest to get to him saps my motivation to even try.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: March 19, 2013, 03:28:27 pm »

Also I really hope all you guys doing SL1 playthroughs are staying offline while in the newbie areas.
Pff. As if. I'm too pro for that.

Archery builds are kind of fun. Make sure you get the Black Bow of Pharis and the Hawk Ring.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The thing with Sif is, he like some other bosses has a ton of trash and distance between him and bonfire. So unlike some bosses you can just zerg until you find the pattern, Sif is far less forgiving. Trudging back through the forest to get to him saps my motivation to even try.
Open the door with the crest you buy, then just run past the enemies. As long as you roll under 1 or 2 magic missiles (on the rare occasion they don't hit a tree), you're easily safe.

Baneling

• Bay Watcher
  • Acid Balloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: March 19, 2013, 04:01:15 pm »

SIF IS NOT MALE

Okay, now that my misinformation rage is done, the trick to Sif is to sit underneath her and plink away, because none of her attacks are capable of hitting below her. If you're doing bow/crossbow-only run, kite. Kite like you've never kited before. Dodge out of attacks, take shots when you're safe, keep at a distance. This one is pretty much a battle of attrition.
I tend to be a stupid person. Expect me to say/do stupid things and we'll probably get along better!

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: March 19, 2013, 04:21:58 pm »

Wiki page uses he/him/his. Why do you say Sif is female?

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: March 19, 2013, 04:29:15 pm »

Pff. As if. I'm too pro for that.

You're too pro to not ruin the game for new players?

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: March 19, 2013, 04:35:48 pm »

I only invade maliciously with the Darkmoons, and I'm really bad at PvP anyway.
Besides, I support low-level invasion. Builds character.

Baneling

• Bay Watcher
  • Acid Balloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1075 on: March 19, 2013, 05:03:51 pm »

In Norse mythology, Sif is a goddess associated with earth.

Can you guess who the big angry wolf is named for? :|
I tend to be a stupid person. Expect me to say/do stupid things and we'll probably get along better!

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #1076 on: March 19, 2013, 05:14:04 pm »

If you really want to cheese Lautrec, then you can just kick the guy off the ledge if you let him out and go back to Firelink Shrine to where he sits in front of the Firekeeper, unless you're talking about when you invade him in Londo with the Black Eye Orb if you wanted him for the Gaping Dragon fight.

Open the door with the crest you buy, then just run past the enemies. As long as you roll under 1 or 2 magic missiles (on the rare occasion they don't hit a tree), you're easily safe.
Running from the Forest Guardians is good. Its easier to just join the Forest Covenant if you plan to be there for a long time, but sometimes you just can't afford it, depending on what covenant you're already a part of, if any.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: March 19, 2013, 05:20:43 pm »

If you fight him via the Black Eye Orb, you get his armor and a Souvenir of Reprisal (as well as his help for the Gaping Dragon), so it's overall better if you have the resources. Killing him at the Shrine is also a sin.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #1078 on: March 19, 2013, 05:21:47 pm »

I only invade maliciously with the Darkmoons, and I'm really bad at PvP anyway.
Besides, I support low-level invasion. Builds character.
Once I finish my SL1 I'll go do some invasions on newbies to celebrate, I'll probably just stand there and let the guy wail on me while wearing my Havel's and then drop him a Washing Pole or some other rediculous weapon to blow his mind and then roll off a ledge. But otherwise I'm not for it. Cheesing is never okay, whether PVE or PVP. Whether or not anyone else does it, I don't care, so long as it doesn't prevent me from playing the game. I only got invaded in Undead Burg once or twice on my first character anyhow.

Mookzen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: March 23, 2013, 04:37:23 pm »

Game is brutal, I got to the undead burg for the first time and immediately a guy invades, I get two-shot and cursed, fun times.
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 127