Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 127

Author Topic: Dark Souls  (Read 148535 times)

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Souls
« Reply #1035 on: January 13, 2013, 09:24:15 am »

PC port controls are horrible thou - also as a df player, it isn't actually very hard. Its not easy, sure, but i utterly lost all respect for most sources and the casual gamer opinion after playing it and finding it, hard, yes, but in no way as escalating as many claim (16 hours in, so... may still get super serious?)

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1036 on: January 13, 2013, 10:03:57 am »

16 hours doesn't say much. It took me close to 45 to finish my first playthrough, but now I can go new game to finish in about 3 if I rush it with a character type I'm good at. It was all hard the first time through, but to me, it doesn't really get challenging anymore until Anor Londo. That's not to say I never die before Anor Londo... nearly everything in the game is still well within its abilities to kill me if I get careless.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: January 13, 2013, 02:08:39 pm »

PC port controls are horrible thou - also as a df player, it isn't actually very hard. Its not easy, sure, but i utterly lost all respect for most sources and the casual gamer opinion after playing it and finding it, hard, yes, but in no way as escalating as many claim (16 hours in, so... may still get super serious?)

Well it's a console port, you're supposed to play it with a gamepad anyway. And yeah, all that "omg, this game is so hard" stuff is nonsense. I think it mainly comes from people mistaking it for a hack-and-slash button masher, which it most definitely is not. Button mashing will get you killed almost instantly in DS. Patience and discipline pay off hugely, though. Don't deviate from the attack pattern and don't overcommit and you're golden.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: January 13, 2013, 02:27:30 pm »

I haven't been keeping up with this game since I ragequit after running into that ridiculous framerate glitch in... Blight town or something. Has that been fixed for the 360?
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: January 13, 2013, 02:33:23 pm »

It's nowhere near as hard as people hype it up to be, and since I grew up with NES and SNES games I found the difficulty of Dark Souls to be just right. Now to be fair, if the extent of someone's gaming experience is PS1 and later for consoles and no niche PC games, then Dark Souls may legitimately be the hardest game they've ever played.

One of the things that Dark Souls does really really well is allowing you to make the game more difficult for yourself, without fundamentally changing the gameplay. The SL1 Depraved run that I did was very hard, but it was still the same fundemental game; much like doing a Mega Buster-only run of a Mega Man game. Too many games require hilariously silly (and often outright un-fun) artificial challenges in order to make them even remotely difficult.

My hope is that Dark Souls shows AAA developers that there's a market for people that don't want their hands held all day while gaming. I'd personally like the development style and difficulty of Dark Souls to become closer to the norm, with deviations in either direction (there's a place for easy games; I love a casual game that I can have a few beers and be silly in as much as the next guy).

On a side note, I find Dark Souls to be much for challenging than DF. DF isn't hard, it just has a bad UI and poor documentation.
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1040 on: January 13, 2013, 11:01:41 pm »

Depraved

I now want to use CE to make a voluptuous female character and do pvp with nothing but the dusk crown and gloves on.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #1041 on: January 13, 2013, 11:30:57 pm »

My hope is that Dark Souls shows AAA developers that there's a market for people that don't want their hands held all day while gaming.
Yeah, right. ::) ._.

Geen

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm gonna live forever, or die trying.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: January 14, 2013, 12:15:04 am »

My hope is that Dark Souls shows AAA developers that there's a market for people that don't want their hands held all day while gaming.
Yeah, right. ::) ._.
PRESS X TO BE BABYSAT BY CUTSCENE MAGIC

Baneling

• Bay Watcher
  • Acid Balloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: January 17, 2013, 03:07:34 am »

Is it just me, or is most of the difficulty of the game in finding the "rhythm" in which you do things than actually the game obliterating you for doing things wrong?

I mean, last night I beat the boss of the Depths. It took me about...five tries, I think, and then it clicked that I could
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So, those previous four tries were basically spent learning what he does and how to counter it, e.g by running faster than the charge, or it overestimating the hell out of the smash's range. If I slipped up and got hit by the charge or whatever once, no big deal - I wouldn't have been hit at all until then and there'd be loads of opportunities to stop mid-fight and chug some estus.

Just some thoughts.
I tend to be a stupid person. Expect me to say/do stupid things and we'll probably get along better!

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: January 17, 2013, 07:03:34 am »

I would just like to state, that the fact that there are as many universes as there are chosen undead is a painful concept to grasp.
It's like, they're all at the same point in time, but they aren't!
It hurts.
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: January 18, 2013, 04:57:20 pm »

I would just like to state, that the fact that there are as many universes as there are chosen undead is a painful concept to grasp.
It's like, they're all at the same point in time, but they aren't!
It hurts.
Quote from: Solaire of Astora
The flow of time itself is convoluted; with heroes centuries old phasing in and out.
The very fabric wavers, and relations shift and obscure.
There's no telling how much longer your world and mine will remain in contact.

Is it just me, or is most of the difficulty of the game in finding the "rhythm" in which you do things than actually the game obliterating you for doing things wrong?
Yes. Until you get to NG+.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: January 18, 2013, 09:39:24 pm »

Arg. Ceaseless is being an asshole. I'm playing a DEX/INT build with base VIT(started as Sorcerer, so my HP is complete shit) and Ceaseless 1-hits me. I was going to do the trick to kill him with little trouble, but you've only got one chance to kill him like that. I've almost gotten him several times, but I tend to fuck up a dodge.
I'm almost done with the game with him. I've only got Bed of Chaos and Four Kings left... but I want to deal with the Bed first.

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: January 18, 2013, 10:02:42 pm »

Arg. Ceaseless is being an asshole. I'm playing a DEX/INT build with base VIT(started as Sorcerer, so my HP is complete shit) and Ceaseless 1-hits me. I was going to do the trick to kill him with little trouble, but you've only got one chance to kill him like that. I've almost gotten him several times, but I tend to fuck up a dodge.
I'm almost done with the game with him. I've only got Bed of Chaos and Four Kings left... but I want to deal with the Bed first.
The fall kill right I've never killed him the normal way.
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: January 18, 2013, 11:48:03 pm »

You could try asking online for some help, considering no-one really does summons there. The wiki has a chat box and I'm sure there are other places to coordinate cooperation.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #1049 on: January 18, 2013, 11:58:51 pm »

You could try asking online for some help, considering no-one really does summons there. The wiki has a chat box and I'm sure there are other places to coordinate cooperation.
I'm probably going to end up doing so... I've got a friend who can help me in a pinch, but we planned to and never did it. He's also out of Dark Souls at the moment. I don't like arranging summoning with online people, though.
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 127