Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 127

Author Topic: Dark Souls  (Read 148593 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Souls
« Reply #975 on: December 10, 2012, 02:45:00 pm »

I guess it depends on your definition of cheesing.  I ran up the stairs to lure the Capra Demon into jumping at me and falling, then plunge attacked it.  Repeat until dead.  If that's cheesing, then pretty much every video game boss fight in the 90s was designed to be cheesed.
Shoes...

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: December 10, 2012, 03:06:35 pm »

Cheesing to me (other than having a cat pee in your face) is when you attack something with 100% impunity. Capra demon doesn't count because you can still fuck that up in some way. The Cats? There's like a wall they simply can't go past and you can stand at the edge of it and wail on them. That to me is cheesing them.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Haschel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: December 10, 2012, 06:42:35 pm »

Now that the sequel is announced I need to actually finish the game. I've done just about everything except finish the last boss, but I need to make another character for the dark lord ending, and I need recommendations on a build/strategy. I'd prefer something that isn't overly challenging, but not stupidly easy and just fun to play.

The characters I've played previous to this was a mage with velka's rapier and occasional pyromancy, and a silly whip wielder in Smough armor, neither of which went over 100 soul level.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: December 10, 2012, 08:30:13 pm »

A strength-only or at least strength-focused build could be quite fun. Using the massive A scaling weapons but little armor and blocking ability. Challenging, but not just unpleasantly hard.

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: December 11, 2012, 12:36:23 am »

You know what I hate, wheel skeletons I hope there in 2.
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: December 11, 2012, 03:22:05 pm »

Speaking of builds, how viable would it be to play a fencer with a rapier in one hand and a parrying dagger in the other, wearing leather armor?

I'd really love to see how it's possible to kill the bridge dragon without cheesing it.
1.  That's an optional fight.  I never even triggered the drake arriving on the save of the game I beat.

Eh? How is that even possible?

2.  Any moderately powerful (+6 - +10) weapon should take it out fairly quickly.  It's 5 hits with the bare minimum stats to weild a Black Knight Halberd 2-handed (so 23 str 18 dex I think, I forget if it was upgraded yet in the video, but it may have been +2), so you are only looking at about 7 - 10 hits with any +10 weapon (or +5 divine weapon), both of which are available 1 boss past Taurus Demon.

7 - 10 hits is still quite a lot. I could typically land maybe 3 or 4 before the dragon did one of its nasty attacks. Either it does its top-down fire breath attack, which is instant death unless you exploit the faulty hitbox, as I don't think there's another way to avoid it, or it charges straight over you to the other side of the bridge. At which point you have to get back downstairs or you die to its next flame attack. So even if you're really lucky and the dragon only does its charge attacks, you still have to basically exit the boss arena and reset the fight two or three times. IMO that also counts as cheesing it.

3.  Unless going sunbro, you gain about nothing from actually unlocking that bonfire.  The Burg fire is just barely further away, needing you to kill just 5 simple enemies to get exactly where you would have been.

True but irrelevant to the point I made.

I would also like to politely disagree with your post as a whole.  Although it may feel like cheesing and trying again at first in Dark Souls, you are also likely taking a lot of information in while fighting about the enemy's AI (if they turtle, how to provoke them, etc.), their various attacks and timings, and other useful things even if you don't realize it.  But, after a few times you should notice that you are dodging/parrying enemies much more easily, provoking turtle spearmen, and doing all that fun stuff much more successfully.  DS is not about cheesing, it's about taking your time and learning your enemies in order to overcome them.  That time may involve dying if you are unlucky, but it's usually as simple as keeping the fight down to one person at a time and learning how to fight that person.  Once you learn it for yourself (watching videos on Youtube can help, but you won't truly know parry timings until you DO parry a few times), the game becomes much simpler.

That applies 100% to regular enemies, but I'm far less impressed with most of the bosses. Take Sif and the Iron Golem, for example. They're so big that you beat them by simply standing right under them where they can't hit you and pummeling their toes until they die of what I assume to be embarrassment.
Oh, and I'm not sure what you mean by provoking spearmen. I just two-hand my sword, bash their shield aside with one swing, and kill them with the next.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 03:24:14 pm by Sordid »

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: December 11, 2012, 03:29:09 pm »

Speaking of builds, how viable would it be to play a fencer with a rapier in one hand and a parrying dagger in the other, wearing leather armor?

This is very viable and quite a powerful build. The hornet's ring increases backstabs and riposte. The parry dagger does intimidate opponents to not attack recklessly if they recognize it. If you can master it, you can parry the first hit and kill them. If they survive, kill them with pyromancy since you'll have high dex unless you use Velka's.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #982 on: December 11, 2012, 03:40:22 pm »

Rapier/Parrying dagger is awesome.  Get the Velka set from Ariamis and you can be Oswald.  Parrying can still be pretty tough in multiplayer because the tells aren't as obvious and there's always lag, but like Majikero said, it's intimidating and tends to make people attack less.
Shoes...

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #983 on: December 11, 2012, 04:07:35 pm »

I've taken to carrying dummy weapons for PvP.  Switching from shield + spear to a two handed giant sword of uberdoom seems to throw a lot of people off guard.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Toady Two

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SCIENCE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #984 on: December 11, 2012, 05:20:50 pm »

I've taken to carrying dummy weapons for PvP.  Switching from shield + spear to a two handed giant sword of uberdoom seems to throw a lot of people off guard.

And it throws your weight load limit down the pipe.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: December 11, 2012, 05:47:49 pm »

And it throws your weight load limit down the pipe.
Not really. For optimized builds, yes, but a standard heater shield and spear weigh about 5.5, and there are lighter shields than that.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #986 on: December 11, 2012, 11:03:09 pm »

I've seen dummy weapon play work.  Get a katana or whatever stupid cheese weapon everybody loves, put on a red tearstone ring, join forest hunters, and fight the gankers until you're almost dead.  When that happens, run away and bait them into chasing you, and once they're too committed to chasing to realize what's going on, pull out the +5 Crystal Daemon Greataxe and fucking wreck him.
Shoes...

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #987 on: December 11, 2012, 11:08:05 pm »

I've seen dummy weapon play work.  Get a katana or whatever stupid cheese weapon everybody loves, put on a red tearstone ring, join forest hunters, and fight the gankers until you're almost dead.  When that happens, run away and bait them into chasing you, and once they're too committed to chasing to realize what's going on, pull out the +5 Crystal Daemon Greataxe and fucking wreck him.
To wit.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: December 12, 2012, 11:41:36 am »

The annoyance of having to reload a save = having to fight the monster that killed you again.
The annoyance of restarting at a bonfire = having to fight through an entire section of respawned monsters to even get to the monster that killed you, and possibly having to waste several hours farming to get your souls and humanity back if you fail.

True.  True.  But then all of this is leads to the most amazing gaming high when you finally complete that section.  That's why the game is so popular, you need that disappointment and punishment to make the payoff so awesome.

Psyched to hear about Dark Souls 2, shaking like a leaf hoping they don't trip over their own greed making it more accessible.  What's the deal with developers these days?  Are they not happy with a couple of million sales?  All they have to do is just say they're gonna make a sequel like the original, but better.  Geesh.  It's gotten so bad I can't buy any new game without seeing gameplay videos first, reputation and previous games made just don't count for s*** any more.  And reviews count for even less.
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: December 12, 2012, 01:19:28 pm »

This is very viable and quite a powerful build. The hornet's ring increases backstabs and riposte. The parry dagger does intimidate opponents to not attack recklessly if they recognize it. If you can master it, you can parry the first hit and kill them. If they survive, kill them with pyromancy since you'll have high dex unless you use Velka's.

Excellent, now I know what my next character is going to be. :D
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 127