Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 127

Author Topic: Dark Souls  (Read 148578 times)

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Souls
« Reply #840 on: November 12, 2012, 08:57:19 pm »

You could bring in online help. Certainly not a likely strategy, but I think it's possible.

Haschel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: November 12, 2012, 09:13:06 pm »

The thing you have to realize about Dark Souls (And demon souls to some extent as well) is that the game is really only about 10% character progression and 90% learning the game. You can tip the scale of character progression to make the unknown encounters less abrasive combat-wise but you're still ultimately just learning what you're up against before pushing through it. If you actually know what you're doing in the game then you can honestly beat it in a day if you wanted, but this requires extensive knowledge and experience which you can't really learn without playing the game and investing time.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #842 on: November 12, 2012, 09:41:53 pm »

I just need to take my armour off and stop being such a bitch about my low endurance. I've spent much too long being a fatty.
The sooner you can ditch the armor the sooner you'll become a good player.

I've dabbled as a cleric and the prayers don't seem to be very worthwhile. Does it become a more useful build later on?
I'm just going to go ahead and say that the first part hurt my feelings. It really is unfair to say that Heavy players aren't good at Dark Souls. I don't even put any points into constitution like most do. I hate feeling the need to go out of my way to justify my build and/or play-style and/or various habits during gameplay. T.T

The Greater Lightning miracle from the Sun Bro covenant is insanely powerful with fantastic reach, and almost all enemies in the game have little to no resistance to lightning damage. Its almost certainly a waste of points though since it takes so gosh darn many pumped into Faith just to use it. Other than that, the force spells are great for keeping skeletons away from you when surrounded, though how you managed to let that happen, I'll never know. The healing spells are always good as a backup or when you're playing co-op, but not really useful if you're any good at the game and you've been kindling and using your fire keeper souls. I think there's a cure-all spell that rids you of most status ailments, and we all know that we could've used THAT at one point or another..

Miracles are frowned upon in multiplayer, especially the force miracle and its more powerful incarnation that I can't remember the name of, but then again so is just about everything.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 09:46:57 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: November 12, 2012, 10:31:37 pm »

I meant to say something more like "better player" but couldn't think of a way to put it correctly. Heavy is a perfectly valid build. Dodging attacks and taking no damage is better than blocking or absorbing attacks, but it also takes a lot of skill and practice. For PvP, heavy is usually a better choice than dodging. I think that avoiding damage entirely is an important skill in this game; even if you go the heavy route, you can still use it to lessen the damage you take and critical (deadly) mistakes. Learning this skill as early as possible will make your playing experience overall better, IMO. The way I put it first was a bit harsh, sorry. I know I haven't the skill to lumber around and still kill things.

Is the Force+ miracle Wrath of the Gods? It sounds quite overpowered, except the 50 faith part. I shan't be going the way of the cleric, then.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: November 12, 2012, 10:38:07 pm »

Everything is optional.
I think there are 17 mandatory bosses, but I could be mistaken about a couple; not having the Master Key adds two. Every other enemy can be avoided (in terms of killing, at least).
Mandatory Bosses:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 10:39:58 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: November 12, 2012, 10:56:38 pm »

Everything is optional.
I think there are 17 mandatory bosses, but I could be mistaken about a couple; not having the Master Key adds two. Every other enemy can be avoided (in terms of killing, at least).
Mandatory Bosses:

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: November 12, 2012, 11:07:04 pm »

Everything is optional.
Mandatory Bosses:
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: November 12, 2012, 11:15:57 pm »

If you're exploiting glitches, can't you also skip

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: November 12, 2012, 11:19:23 pm »

If you're exploiting glitches, can't you also skip
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 11:50:49 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
No Gods, No Masters.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #849 on: November 12, 2012, 11:47:12 pm »

I meant to say something more like "better player" but couldn't think of a way to put it correctly. Heavy is a perfectly valid build. Dodging attacks and taking no damage is better than blocking or absorbing attacks, but it also takes a lot of skill and practice. For PvP, heavy is usually a better choice than dodging. I think that avoiding damage entirely is an important skill in this game; even if you go the heavy route, you can still use it to lessen the damage you take and critical (deadly) mistakes. Learning this skill as early as possible will make your playing experience overall better, IMO. The way I put it first was a bit harsh, sorry. I know I haven't the skill to lumber around and still kill things.

Is the Force+ miracle Wrath of the Gods? It sounds quite overpowered, except the 50 faith part. I shan't be going the way of the cleric, then.
Heh. The only reason I was offended is because I've got four characters.. and only one is a heavy.. and they're all SL50+ (except my SL1 char of course)….

Also, I meant the lightning+ is somewhere around 50 faith. WotG is somewhere around thirty. Its actually not that bad since 50 Faith increases the power of all of your miracles by a fuckload if you have the right talisman. Plus a weapon with a good divine rating will instantly become devastating.

Haschel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #850 on: November 13, 2012, 01:45:40 am »

More skippables spoilers

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: November 13, 2012, 01:54:36 am »

More skippables spoilers
No Gods, No Masters.

Haschel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: November 13, 2012, 02:01:04 am »

FuzzWaddle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: November 13, 2012, 03:38:42 pm »

The shortcut is right before the demon firesage. You don't need the orange charred ring either.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: November 13, 2012, 04:44:27 pm »

Also, I meant the lightning+ is somewhere around 50 faith. WotG is somewhere around thirty. Its actually not that bad since 50 Faith increases the power of all of your miracles by a fuckload if you have the right talisman. Plus a weapon with a good divine rating will instantly become devastating.
I checked the wiki right before writing that, too. Phrasing has not been in my favor, it seems.
The miracles overall are a bit lackluster. I find pure melee combat to be more interesting, but I might try it at some point.

Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 127