Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 127

Author Topic: Dark Souls  (Read 148542 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Souls
« Reply #825 on: November 12, 2012, 01:07:49 pm »

That's just impossible. Unarmed attacks do two or three damage each, and later bosses have several thousand HP.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: November 12, 2012, 01:42:24 pm »

I don't see anything impossible about that. Sure, it'd take some time, but it's possible. In theory. :P

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: November 12, 2012, 01:45:15 pm »

Actually, dragon transformation gives bonus to unarmed I think. Combine that bonus with red tear stone and power within and it can do massive damage. In theory.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #828 on: November 12, 2012, 02:02:35 pm »

Actually, dragon transformation gives bonus to unarmed I think. Combine that bonus with red tear stone and power within and it can do massive damage. In theory.
I'd give it a go if I had some recording gear. Unfortunately I don't, so I won't.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #829 on: November 12, 2012, 02:13:18 pm »

Has anyone else done a SL1 Darkwraith run? I'm doing one right now and I'm at Sif.
I began one, but I haven't finished it yet. I lost to the gargoyles once and went back to my SL107. I just need to take my armour off and stop being such a bitch about my low endurance. I've spent much too long being a fatty.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: November 12, 2012, 02:35:34 pm »

Has anyone else done a SL1 Darkwraith run? I'm doing one right now and I'm at Sif.

I did it at SL10, with sealer set and greatscythe.  The only really tough parts are Sif and the Four Kings, both are vulnerable to pyromancy.

If you don't or can't use Crest Shield, farming up a Dark Hand to use as a shield takes off nearly all of the Kings' magic damage (Including the shockwave).
Shoes...

FuzzWaddle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: November 12, 2012, 04:38:46 pm »

Well I beat Sif but I hate the ghosts in New Londo. Four Kings should be simple because Beatrice wrecks them and I have chaos pyromancies.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: November 12, 2012, 04:39:50 pm »

I don't like that the only SL1 class is Pyromancer. It'd be nice if there was a more balanced one.
I'm doing a (warrior) run only leveling up STR to the minimum needed to 2h my desired large weapon; currently SL7, have beaten through Quelaag (though I did skip past the Depths and Blighttown).

I just need to take my armour off and stop being such a bitch about my low endurance. I've spent much too long being a fatty.
The sooner you can ditch the armor the sooner you'll become a good player.

I've dabbled as a cleric and the prayers don't seem to be very worthwhile. Does it become a more useful build later on?

foil

• Bay Watcher
  • Yarr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: November 12, 2012, 06:15:15 pm »

Hey there, Im just about to restart Dark Souls on PS3 after not really playing it much 1st time ages ago.  I played maybe 10 hours in before giving up and would like some tips before starting again.

1st, is it possible to play DS straight through without much grinding?  I had Demons Souls but again after putting 10 or so hours in i got bored of grinding up against the few areas i could survive in.  Is it another grind fest in Dark Souls or is it easier to progress faster?

Next is how long does it take to complete a playthrough?  I hear people putting in 100 hours plus into the game but i cant see it taking that long to get to a few bosses and all areas of the game.  Does it take 100 hours of grinding to get strong enough to face the end bosses or would it not take that long in general?

Finally, whats a good build or guide for builds for the game?  I think i made a basic heavy weapons/armor guy 1st time and have still struggled with most combat, is there a full magic system and is it viable to use it instead of weapons for most of the game or any easier?

I know the game is hard and have the basics of combat down but its still tough even after 10 hours playing, plus 10+ hours in Demons Souls.  I feel im playing the game wrong or have a broken build as im no noob to difficult games but still struggle with most areas so far.

Ive been gaming for over 20 years, usually on max difficulty from start but this is too much atm.  With the disappointment of Skyrim and me getting more into roguelikes I feel like this is the perfect game for me, I just hope you guys can give enough tips so i can crack it and start enjoying this top rated action rpg.

Thx for look, Foil.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: November 12, 2012, 06:57:45 pm »

Grinding is unnecessary. Unless you lose a lot of souls after a death, the amount you get from standard progression and boss kills should be enough to keep you going (with maybe the exception of Anor Londo). If you're having difficulty, grinding can help make things easier.

For a starting build, all points should be going into Strength, Endurance, and Vitality, and perhaps some in Dexterity depending on your weapon.
Heavy armor is bad. Do not go above 50% encumbrance. The game will be easier.
Use your shield well. It is almost as valuable as your weapon.

Magic-only is a viable but more difficult build. If you don't level up correctly, magic will quickly become too weak to be effective.
It's best to stick with a melee build at first; though I don't have much experience with magic.

The game is not 100 hours per playthrough. You'll probably complete your first run in 40-50 or less.
Death is a major component of the game. It is experience. Embrace it.
The end bosses are not difficult. For most people, the game is at its hardest at Anor Londo, which is about halfway through. Some specific things are out of place difficulty wise, but the game mostly follows a pretty good difficulty progression.

Let me repeat, embrace death. You will die many times, then you will get to the next checkpoint. Eventually you will get better.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: November 12, 2012, 07:22:20 pm »

Well I beat Sif but I hate the ghosts in New Londo. Four Kings should be simple because Beatrice wrecks them and I have chaos pyromancies.

Beatrice isn't very good against the four kings from what I've seen.  Once you've got the water open you can sprint through pretty easy.  Head up the stairs where the second pack of ghosts is, make a right and roll off the wall (I believe there's a big chunk of floor missing right around where you need to roll).  You want to land on the bottom of the aqueduct.  There's a ladder which you hopefully kicked down on a previous run through.  Then you can sprint along the aqueduct to the tower where Beatrice spawns and roll off to head in.  Only problem is there's some risky jumps that can fuck you over, and good or not, Beatrice isn't coming along.  She'll get distracted by the ghosts and darkwraiths and end up dying/never joining the fight.

Also, it's a proven scientific fact that people who play fatty builds with lightning claymores are the actual Devil. 

For a proper awesome build try this:

V40 A16 E35 S9 D16 I45 F30 R666

Full Black set, Velka's rapier, Parrying Dagger/Velka's Talisman offhand.  Spells Vow of Silence, Karmic Justice, whatever (Heal maybe, or darkmoon blade but you'll need an alternate main weapon for it.)  Rings whatever.  Hornet if you're a dick (I'm a dick), Cloranthy, FoP isn't that useful since you're so light.

Join Darkmoon Blades.

You're Oswald now.  When you kill someone spam Well?  What is it!  For a silly theme build it's actually pretty strong, I usually win 8/10 fights when I forest gank, including 2v1 (Even a 4-way freeforall once with the NPC bandit and a Darkwraith/Forest hunter.  Killed them all)
Shoes...

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: November 12, 2012, 07:25:42 pm »

You shouldn't need to grind in Dark Souls. I did not face any boss in Dark Souls that I was not able to beat by trying it three or four times; and I'm not some crazy super skilled player, nor did I have a "pro" build. I'd argue that the joy of the series is learning how to defeat a difficult boss through doing.

What I did have to do is put myself back in the mindset that I had when I was playing Contra on the NES; something that I've not needed to do in a video game for over a decade. You will spend an hour on that tough boss. You will die. You will die repeatedly.

That said, the DS series is not for everyone. Not everyone wants to play a video game where it's normal to lose repeatedly, and that's okay. Even some of the DF players that I know have ragequit Dark Souls.
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: November 12, 2012, 07:59:28 pm »

The only thing you grind for in Dark Souls are the early upgrade stones and late game upgrades.

Everything is optional. You can even finish the game without spending a single soul.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: November 12, 2012, 08:12:03 pm »

Everything is optional.
I think there are 17 mandatory bosses, but I could be mistaken about a couple; not having the Master Key adds two. Every other enemy can be avoided (in terms of killing, at least).

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: November 12, 2012, 08:22:07 pm »

The only thing you grind for in Dark Souls are the early upgrade stones and late game upgrades.

Everything is optional. You can even finish the game without spending a single soul.

Can you really?  Four Kings are a mandatory boss to beat the game and if you haven't spent any souls you're not going to have a weapon that can kill them fast enough, and you're not going to have enough HP to 1v4 them
Shoes...
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 127