Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 127

Author Topic: Dark Souls  (Read 148495 times)

Aavak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Bohemian Shenanigans
Re: Dark Souls
« Reply #765 on: October 07, 2012, 09:05:34 am »

I picked this game up after a few conversations with friends, mostly in passing. I was idly aware of the interesting multiplayer setup but I am guilty of assuming that the game was a bit of a hack/slash-fest without any actual depth... how wrong I was!

I'm /really/ enjoying this game so far, and I've barely even scratched the surface! I'm trying my hardest to avoid spoilering this game for myself (so THANK YOU to everyone who's been kind enough to put spoiler comments within spoiler tags! :)) Though I have caught some snippets of later game story, it's been just enough to let me know just how much interesting story there is, without actually spoiling the surprise for me or specifically telling me how to accomplish certain things. Though, as I get more of an idea of just how much game there is to this, I'm starting to wonder if I may have bitten off a little more than I can chew, starting a let's play of it, lol.

I thought it'd be amusing for some to see me playing through this blind (well save for the tutorial area and first hour or two in Undead Burg.) but I've already received a few comments from some people regarding misconceptions I had about the game-play, such as the way your shield gets knocked back being due to stamina drain, and not (as I'd assumed) due to low poise.

So, with all that said, and given that there's obviously a few tricks I've missed (or just misunderstood) I thought I'd post the link to my Dark Souls playlist here, and invite any other comments and hopefully entertain some people while I'm at it :)

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: October 07, 2012, 10:12:05 am »

I just got this game for 20 bucks at Target. So far its pretty fun.
Got crushed by
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Only got split once by
I got bisected by that
Got my ass roasted by
Then subsequently abused said ass roastings for souls.
Then I got the Drake Sword.
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: October 07, 2012, 10:20:54 am »

Did Demons Souls have a mechanic like humanity?  I've noticed tying humanity to PvP is awesome when you want to avoid PvP but total bullshit when you want to fight.
Shoes...

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: October 07, 2012, 10:26:57 am »

Did Demons Souls have a mechanic like humanity?  I've noticed tying humanity to PvP is awesome when you want to avoid PvP but total bullshit when you want to fight.
Sort of, you still collected the souls of humans/demons to restore yourself, but that was it. You just became human in my recollection.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 10:28:35 am by UltraValican »
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: October 07, 2012, 10:28:35 am »

In demon souls, you become a spirit with half health and you can only become human when you kill bosses or help kill bosses as a summon or invade and kill people. There's only a limited number of items that can revive you to human.

In that regard, dark souls have a better mechanic overall.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: October 07, 2012, 12:08:41 pm »

Does anyone know if Demon's Souls still has an active multiplayer community?  Been considering grabbing a copy for a while now.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: October 07, 2012, 12:10:17 pm »

Demon's Souls came close to having all of its servers shut down, but apparently that was put on moratorium.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: October 07, 2012, 12:34:15 pm »

So, I'm using dark souls fix and I'm wondering what the fuck is going on here.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=101414717

EDIT: Fixed, turned AA off.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 12:53:18 pm by Vherid »

Aavak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Bohemian Shenanigans
« Reply #773 on: October 07, 2012, 01:22:26 pm »

So, I'm using dark souls fix and I'm wondering what the fuck is going on here.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=101414717

EDIT: Fixed, turned AA off.

Yeah, I had that issue, and for a few furious moments felt very irritated that my PC was somehow shit... then I read the README and felt like a derp lol.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: October 07, 2012, 04:15:39 pm »

About Nito:
I just totally ignored him and focused on taking down skeletons right off the bat. And ofcourse running around dodging the blades coming out the ground, I think there's an audio cue for when he does it.
Then when he charges up his area effect I rushed behind the centre pillar and watched him destroy all of his nearby skeletons. That's when I counterattacked.
His swings are relatively easy to dodge and will destroy skeletons nearby as well. Once you've no skeletons ready to jump you while you focus on Nito he drops real fast.

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #775 on: October 08, 2012, 10:59:13 am »

I think i'm gonna try and do some multiplayer, for the first time, today.
Wish me luck, heathens!
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: October 08, 2012, 11:26:01 am »

Die well!
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Aavak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Bohemian Shenanigans
« Reply #777 on: October 08, 2012, 11:42:16 am »

I think i'm gonna try and do some multiplayer, for the first time, today.
Wish me luck, heathens!

Best of luck!!!

I just finished recording 4 more videos for my DarkSouls LP, and I've completely swapped out my gear. Well, armour at least. I've gone from mail to thief garb, and on that note I've decided the next video (after trying my luck with a black knight) will be spent invading and/or co-oping. I've not experienced either yet, in this LP or in the game in general, so I'd really be interested in how your foray into the lands of multiplayer go :)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: October 08, 2012, 01:17:21 pm »

Man, I'm so glad XCOM doesn't come out until tomorrow, because I just got the black set and Velka's rapier.  I'm Oswald now.  A guy invaded me in Sen's fortress.  I was still high on the adrenaline from sprinting past a million swinging axes, so I just jump off a ledge at him while he's getting set up, then hornet ring riposte his first swing. 

I will accept thy next confession in the hereafter!
Shoes...

Light forger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: October 08, 2012, 04:29:00 pm »

I'm doing a level 4 run in blighttown to get the katana and shadow armor.............. pray for me will you?
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 127