Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 127

Author Topic: Dark Souls  (Read 148407 times)

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Souls
« Reply #630 on: September 19, 2012, 06:01:11 pm »

Don't worry, Ornstein and Smough are the hardest boss fight in the game (barring build incompatibilities). Worry, because you still have to beat them, but know that nothing else will be that hard. Summon Solaire at least, if you have humanity, and others if you're playing online. Strategy:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
60 is a reasonable level for fighting them, but if your build is weak you may as well be level 20. Strategy is more important than level.
If you want to farm, the silver knight across from the bonfire with Solaire (inside) is the best thing to do. Just keep killing it, and maybe the one down the hall. Quite quick.

Covenants don't matter that much. The dragon covenant can give you some body part transformations. It's one of the lesser covenants. You didn't mess up; you can leave the covenant and join another if you want, and don't have to do anything for it. If you offer dragon scales you can get some more transformations, but you don't have to.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: September 19, 2012, 06:37:18 pm »

Yeah, the dragon's pretty chill.

Shoes...

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: September 20, 2012, 07:09:16 am »

Don't worry, Ornstein and Smough are the hardest boss fight in the game (barring build incompatibilities). Worry, because you still have to beat them, but know that nothing else will be that hard. Summon Solaire at least, if you have humanity, and others if you're playing online. Strategy:

Thanks for the tips. It seems I'm getting a bit closer to beating these guys with more practice, but damn I must've died more in here then the rest of the game combined.
Been trying some different strategies, it seems I do best by running in butt naked equiped with only shield and sword/spear. Only way I can keep up the speed to outmanouvre 'em.

I am getting soooo sick of this boss but I want to beat him :s
This game man, this game.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 08:19:49 am by Jelle »

revo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: September 20, 2012, 07:17:30 am »

I agree that big smough is harder than big ornstein. Try hit and run away tactics for ornstein or use the pillars to your advantage. Also, if you have it use a big sword for high 1 hit damage.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: September 20, 2012, 07:25:06 am »

Eagle shield has low requirements, a nice lightning resistance and as a big shield, has high stability.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: September 20, 2012, 09:07:48 am »

I beat them!
By the skin of my teeth and with nothing on me but a shield and sword I beat them!
After aproximatly 6 hours of trying again and again!
Fuck yes!

HLBeta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: September 22, 2012, 04:08:51 pm »

I just recently started messing about with the multiplayer stuff to try to support a friend who bought the game a few days back. We haven't managed to synch up at all, but white/gold phantom shenanigans are some of the best fun I've had in a long time. Having those extra players watching your back really changes the flow of the game from its normal cowardly pace in to a glorious demon-pummeling bout of jolly co-operation. Sunbro covenant is also a plus.

Any tips for trying to meet up with friends? We're in the same general area IRL, but I'm simply not finding his summon signs when I go looking.
... and then it explodes!

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: September 22, 2012, 04:17:28 pm »

Have him put a summon sign in a very out of the way place. Somewhere people don't see easily. Wait there and have him remove and replace the sign every minute or two. I can't remember how server shuffling works, but I think that makes it appear on different servers more frequently than leaving it alone.

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: September 23, 2012, 07:49:38 am »

Ugh, I started playing again after a longer rage quit after being cursed, farmed a bunch of souls to get a stone to cure it, meh.

Now the actual thing I want to ask in this post:
I was reinforcing my Claymore, because I remember seeing that I can do fancy things with it at +5.
Now, do I continue reinforcing it to +6 and above,
make it into a Raw Claymore,
or track down a green titanite shard and make it Divine?
Where does one get a green titanite shard, exactly?
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: September 23, 2012, 08:32:02 am »

If you don't have a build involving faith, don't make it divine. I learned that the hard way. It reduces other scaling and improvements to scale with faith. Divine weapons are nice against undead, and it's useful having one as a backup for a certain location, but unless you're leveling faith don't go with divine.

I'd recommend continuing to +6 and above. This chart is quite useful if you want to know where to go.
At +10 you can go to Lightning, which I like. You can also go to +15, if you really like the basic Claymore's stat scaling.
If you don't like the stat scaling, but don't want elemental damage, go with Raw. I haven't personally made any Raw weapons, so I can't say how good they are.
Fire is currently my favorite upgrade path, but it's something for a later game because of the required resources.
You can always downgrade your weapon back to +5 at a smith, but you'll lose the titanite you put into it.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: September 23, 2012, 08:51:51 am »

Raw has basically become my go-to upgrade until I get a chance to go for lightning. Overall, it will usually be lower damage at the highest upgrade level than others, but it tends to be cheaper to get it maxed out than most other enchantments. (You can grind slimes for half an hour in the depths and have a +5 raw weapon which will be just fine for a good long while.)

As said, it's useful to have a divine weapon just for a certain area, but don't but too much effort into it. You can even get away with something really minimal if you're careful, since when you do use it, you really only need to last hit with it. I have pretty successfully gone whole games without even touching divine though. It has it's uses, but only gets somewhat effective with high faith stat, but even aside from that, there are boss weapons out there that do divine damage that would be a better choice if you were going that path.

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: September 23, 2012, 10:55:24 am »

Thanks for that info, now for clarification:

Andre of Astoria is the smith in the undead parish, correct?

And the Rickert from Vinheim is the dude in the cell in the ruins of New Londo?

And now for different questions:
Can I not join the sunbros at the broken statue if i've killed Solaire? I know I need x amount of Faith to join, but do I need the Faith to even interact with it?

I want to work on faith, is there a point where working on it would be ideal? I.E. Would 1k health and enough stats to swing my weapon of choice be good enough for a while?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: September 23, 2012, 11:00:53 am »

You can join Sunlight if you've killed Solaire. You need 25 Faith to join, but this requirement is reduced by five every time you are summoned as a phantom and achieve victory against another player's boss.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: September 23, 2012, 11:04:30 am »

K, thanks for clearing that up.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: September 23, 2012, 11:06:15 am »

Also, you are a monster for killing Solaire and I hope that you are KILL BY DEMONS!
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 127