Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 127

Author Topic: Dark Souls  (Read 148381 times)

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
Re: Dark Souls
« Reply #585 on: September 13, 2012, 08:05:01 am »

5. The drake sword is the bridge dragon's tail. Somehow, the tail came off for me even if I'm not trying to hit the tail, weird.

You get it by doing a scripted amount of damage to the dragon, or by killing it outright. The first time I got it I shot his tail from underneath the bridge till it gave it to me. On my second playthrough I managed to chop his legs a few times with my zweihander and got it.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: September 13, 2012, 09:11:25 am »

If you head to the Moonlight butterfly's tower while reverse-hollowed, look under the first staircase for an NPC summon sign.  Beatrice makes the fight trivial (Like, just stand there blocking and she'll kill it for you trivial), so if you're wanting a challenge don't summon her.
Shoes...

lionstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: September 13, 2012, 09:19:03 am »

Well after several tries I got to the Iron Golem again. Completely forgetting to use the bonfire, I summoned a sunbro and charged forth. We were kicking his ass until I walked right off the edge of the building. Then I died again when I tried to rage charge through the fortress.

Too bad I never got invaded. I would love a chance to watch an invader get torn to pieces by all the traps while they chase after me.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 09:44:27 am by lionstar »

ukulele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: September 13, 2012, 10:17:27 am »

@facekillz Im not as experienced as some people here, as a matter of fact im still doing my first playtrough but i really dont recomend getting the drake sword, or get it and dont use it, i mean we are playing this for the challenge and that sword is basically OP for half the game.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: September 13, 2012, 10:33:57 am »

No one invades the fortress unless they're familiar with it so no watching invaders die from traps. Its mostly invaders luring and ambushing people into traps.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: September 13, 2012, 11:04:57 am »

Once you learn the fortress (it took me many dozens of deaths) it's really easy. My best advice is to learn how to time the swinging axes and never fight on the catwalks. There is absolutely no reason to. Every fight that it appears you might have to do on them, can simply be strafed around and run past. I can make it all the way to the bonfire only fighting 1, maybe 2 snake guys directly, depending on how lucky I get of them running into traps on their own. Once you learn where the traps are, they're more useful to you than harmful. A fog ring or invisibility spell can help a bit, as well, but the enemies will still hear you and take blind-ish shots if you don't have hush/the silent walking ring.

I actually had someone summon me at the top of the fortress the other day, I expected to help them with the golem, but instead just ran around with them fighting invaders(mostly blue). Got a ton of souls for it before he stupidly fell off a ledge and died.

Fun times.

@facekillz Im not as experienced as some people here, as a matter of fact im still doing my first playtrough but i really dont recomend getting the drake sword, or get it and dont use it, i mean we are playing this for the challenge and that sword is basically OP for half the game.

The way you play is entirely up to you, but this is one of those games where you don't lightly turn down any opportunity improvement you can find. I have gotten to the point where I try non-standard and specifically crippled builds just for fun, but I rarely get them past the second bell just because it is that hard. Even with the drake sword, the game still doesn't let up and even fully improved, which is tough to do with the upgrade material being dragon scales, the drake sword still isn't that great. It's a very good early game weapon that can be cheesed off the drake pretty easily, but it doesn't make enemies hit any less hard. Even so, it's not all that different from a +5 raw longsword, which can be created right at the beginning of the sewer area as long as you have time to grind enemies for the titanite. And while it may not seem like all that much at the beginning, unless you're going for a large weapon wielding character, those levels in strength needed for the drake sword could be well used elsewhere. Once you're up into the hundreds, with each level taking well over 100k souls, you'll wish you'd rethought your early game a bit.

It all depends on your playstyle, and there are as more playstyles in this game than most people will ever have a chance to try.

Tibbz2

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what this does...
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: September 13, 2012, 11:11:41 am »

So, I canceled my pre-order for Bioshock: Infinite and I have one thing to say.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I have a few questions at the moment though:

1.How do I kill the Moonlight Butterfly in Darkmoon Garden?

Summon the witch woman! It's so so easy with her!

2. What are black knights, exactly,  I think i've killed one, but im not sure, are they the large humanoids in the armor like the one in Undead Burg and the Undead Parish?

Yes, the ones that are massive and very difficult early, even mid game sometimes...

3. Was it worth killing Solaire of Astoria for his armor?

NO NO NO, Solaire is awesome! (and useful too!)

4. Should I reinforce my armor or weapon first?

I generally always reinforce my weapon, after all armor doesn't matter if you're getting out the way in time! (or have a decent shield)

5. I've heard of a Drake Sword, how does one get that?

Shoot the dragon's tail (the one on the bridge that keeps breathing fire) with a bow until it drops... usually 50+ arrows are needed.

6. Is the Gargoyle Tail Axe better than a Battleaxe, with it's larger size but slightly less damage?

Has high requirements too if I remember correctly, I don't use it, just keep it as a trophy :P

7. I'm guessing you can't parry an attack made by something alot bigger than you, is this true?

Yup. You can only parry humanoid enemies that are your size or a bit bigger (like black knights and silver knights, even tower knights)

8. After I ring the bell in the Undead Parish, should I go to the Lower Undead Burg, or through the Darkmoon Garden?

Lower Undead, until you're good enough to just go into Darkroot instead.

9. Does the gate Sir Onion is waiting at ever open, the one just past the bonfire near the first bell.

Yes. You will see.

10. That knight dude in the gold armor said he would have a reward for me in the future, when will I be getting this?

Wait and see ;)

11. Are there any tricks to getting the parrying timing down, or is it just a matter of practice?

Practice tbh, just timing.

12. Would I be better off saving my souls or spending them on stats, because im not that great at not dying.

Tbh if you have nothing else to spend them on, why not? If you have a lot and are going into an unknown area or somewhere you think you may die, spend them incase you lose them all.

Alright, theres my questions, this game is awesome, but it also kicks my ass.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 01:53:16 pm by Tibbz2 »
THE DEMONS ESCAPED MY ICE TRAP AND NOW MY LAST WARRIOR IS SMACKING THEM ALL DOWN WITH HER DECEASED TODDLER OH GOD THE BOOZE JUST EXPLODED AND THERE'S SMOKE AND FIRE EVERYWHERE JESUS CHRIST.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: September 13, 2012, 11:27:19 am »

On parrying, remember that different shields have a different window of opportunity.  The small shields (Up to heater or so, I think knight too) have big ones, I think parrying dagger has the biggest.  I get the best results by hitting the button as their weapon is coming at me.
Shoes...

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: September 13, 2012, 02:42:39 pm »

Re: the black knights. I don't believe the large ones that have the large tower shield and the mace count as "black knights" even though they look similar. The first one you typically see is in the church near the elevator. I could be wrong though.

Tibbz2

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what this does...
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: September 13, 2012, 02:43:59 pm »

Re: the black knights. I don't believe the large ones that have the large tower shield and the mace count as "black knights" even though they look similar. The first one you typically see is in the church near the elevator. I could be wrong though.

They aren't, black knights are... well... all black :p  Those guys are Tower Knights, the bigger, silvery-er ones
THE DEMONS ESCAPED MY ICE TRAP AND NOW MY LAST WARRIOR IS SMACKING THEM ALL DOWN WITH HER DECEASED TODDLER OH GOD THE BOOZE JUST EXPLODED AND THERE'S SMOKE AND FIRE EVERYWHERE JESUS CHRIST.

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: September 13, 2012, 02:52:32 pm »

Thanks for all the advice, guys, but now for some follow up questions:

1. So if speed and getting out of the way of attacks is my friend, im guessing Elite Knight armor is not the way to go, if im correct on that, what is the general direction i should set in to get some good light armor?

2. In the tower leading up to the bridge where you fight the Taurus Demon, what is that guy down the stairs that crushes me with some sort of curved thing?

3. Will I only see summon signs as a human?

4. What is that thing in the Blacksmith in the Undead Parish's Building, like, that statue thing, and does it have any goodies for me to pillage when I stand a chance of hurting it?

I know I could figure these things out on my own with some effort, but alas, I don't have time to play right now.

Also, can I ever get that spear of light thing that Solaire uses?
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

azurelao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: September 13, 2012, 03:01:09 pm »

1. anything that gets you below 50% equip load will let you roll and gives you moderate speed. anything below 25% equip load will let you roll and run faster

2. thats havel. lots of HP, hits like a ton of bricks, and moves like it, too. if you can kill him you can get a ring that increases your equip load, which essentially lets you equip heavier stuff and still roll/move quickly

3. yes.

4. titanite demon and/or wandering demon. the drop demon titanite, which is used for upgrading boss weapons. however, they arent all the same difficulty, and only one in the entire game can respawn

and yeah, you can get solaires spells. if you can get past the wyvern on the bridge, there will be a bonfire. to the right of that bonfire will be a statue/altar. if you have 25 faith, you can join the sunbro faction, and get the spells by giving sunlight medals. also, if you can aid people be killing bosses (be summoned by them), the required faith will drop by 5 x bosses killed
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 03:03:55 pm by azurelao »

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: September 13, 2012, 03:12:04 pm »

The spear thing Solaire uses is Lightning spear miracle. You get it from Warriors of Sunlight covenant. Joining the covenant requires 40 faith I think and each Successful co-op will reduce the faith requirement by 5 each. The covenant is located right of the bonfire under the bridge dragon. It's the broken statue with some hollows praying.

Joining the covenant will give you the lighting spear miracle and will turn your phantom and your summon sign gold. Everyone involved with gold phantoms will get a sunlight medal for beating the boss. You offer the medal to get a stronger lightning spear. You need to offer something else to get the strongest lightning spear though.

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: September 13, 2012, 03:27:00 pm »

Alright, thanks for that.

Now, how does one get past the dragon? Im guessing a sheild with tons of fire defense?
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

lionstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: September 13, 2012, 03:30:17 pm »

I guess if I ever beat the game it will have to be with a tank character. I've made 2 "float like a butterfly, sting like a bee" type characters, and I've died a lot more with them. Playing without a big weapon and thick armor makes me feel extremely weak and ineffective, regardless of how useless the armor feels in pvp.

Getting past the dragon on the bridge? I just sprint towards the right side of the bridge and go down the stairs. Usually works unless you get caught by one of the hollow. Actually getting to the bonfire is the tricky part. Whenever I did it, I made a lucky jump n' roll at the last second.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 04:04:17 pm by lionstar »
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 127