Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 127

Author Topic: Dark Souls  (Read 148386 times)

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Souls
« Reply #570 on: September 09, 2012, 09:14:04 am »

The port is nearly as straight as you could get from an Xbox game. While the keyboard controls aren't a problem as you can remap them, the mouse controls the camera as well as targeting when you have it turned on. Also, the movement for the mouse is like a thumbstick if that makes sense (It drags in the direction your moving the mouse)

However, the camera is not so bad, as there is a button to recenter the camera directly behind you and targeting makes the camera always face your target.

I have found and am using two mods to make things a little better.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=488240
This is a link to a mod that allows some resolution and graphical improvements. The game runs in widescreen so on my square moniter it is a bit smaller then if it was square but that's not a problem for me.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2904768
This one is a mouse camera mod. It allows you to stop the mouse from controlling the camera with a button toggle (I set it as z).

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2910072
The above is a mouse mod that I found first. It looks better then the one I'm currently using. However, I wasn't able to install the PPjoy driver as I can't get Windows 7 32bit to allow me to install unsigned drivers.

I can play just fine using the keyboard and mouse. Somethings are a little odd if your used to playing games on the computer, but I've been able to beat all the bosses so far. Things like kicking (Forward + space at the same time), jumping (hold down space, then tap space), leap downward stab (forward + Right mouse button at the same time). I would also mention that the menu key is default bound to the END key as opposed to the ESC key, might want to change that.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: September 09, 2012, 01:36:38 pm »

I have a friend who plays it on the PC. He prefers a keyboard-only control scheme in it to using a gamepad. There are ways to make the controls not be terrible, I guess.

lionstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: September 11, 2012, 04:16:19 am »

Confusing pvp is confusing.

Picking fights in Anor Londo has only gotten me ass whoopins from a bunch of dex builds. (Apparently speed is king HERE too. No love for the heavies. Ever.)

One was a WoG spammer. One was some dual wielder in robes who seemed to have infinite stamina and smacked my shield repeatedly for like a solid minute. I managed to do 2 complete r1 combos on him with my fire +5 claymore, which didn't even put a dent in their life bar. I then tried to go 2h and got shredded in seconds.

Guys in paper thin robes are more durable than a guy in full Havel?

Wat.

EDIT: DEX/FTH builds dominate everything. That's one more kind of character that I won't make.

DkS is getting stale fast. I just beat Smough and Ornstein and I've completely lost interest. What's more to do than slog through the next batch of bosses and get my ass handed to me by the pvp clone army?
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 06:22:38 am by lionstar »

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: September 11, 2012, 08:06:24 am »

If it things are getting stale, try different weapons or maybe try a different build.

As for PvP, not surprising really that there's gonna be hackers on the PC port.

Using heavy armor and fatrolling is an art form. It's unexpected and its good bait for backstabbers.

Try to exploit the obvious clone mentality. They are usually simple minded.

If you really suck at PvP, then don't play to win, you play to troll them or waste time while you have the most fun. This is usually accomplished with fog ring, chameleon spell or force spamming to imitate WoG spam.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: September 11, 2012, 04:36:01 pm »

I have gone the route of wearing full Havel's without fat-rolling. Endurance is a great thing. Vitality is my only weak point, since I'm using a lightning weapon and don't get Str/Dex bonuses.

You could never reverse your hollowing. I enjoy running around human in offline mode on the Xbox, but I don't know if that's possible on the PC.

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: September 11, 2012, 05:10:13 pm »

If you really suck at PvP, then don't play to win, you play to troll them or waste time while you have the most fun. This is usually accomplished with fog ring, chameleon spell or force spamming to imitate WoG spam.

Oh man, the chameleon spell in the forest is such a dick move. People running all around smacking each and every bush or hiding in a group of pots
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

lionstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: September 12, 2012, 03:23:00 pm »

I regret spending money on this now.

The curse of the incredibly durable players continues even with a new SL 20 character who I gave my gold hemmed robes and +5 raw claymore to. I used 3 cracked red eye orbs trying to find a chickenhawker until I found some chick in hollow soldier armor. I just assumed it was a chickenhawker because of the uchi she had and how she didn't run when I showed up. I got 3 RB attacks in which took down maybe a quarter of her lifebar. I got smacked by the uchi ONCE and nearly got killed. It wasn't lightning at least.

Then she just stayed at the other end of the church and fired poison arrows at me, which took about half my lifebar when i got hit, until I died. She kept firing even when I was right in front of her. (Force didn't even knock her down when she wasn't blocking)

And my last cracked red eye orb gave me a fight against a DWGR guy in some armor combo I didn't recognize, mask of the mother, and lifehunt scythe. Dafuq is this shit.

SL 20 my ass. I suppose if they ever get to 125 invaders will die by simply looking at them.

No such thing as new players anymore. If you ever see a low level, it's always some L33T PR0 PVP3R who gave himself a bunch of OP equipment.
What really confuses me is why I'm dying so easily. Maybe because I have never gotten any armor reinforced past +3 because I change it so much.

I don't know how armor works.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 03:47:58 pm by lionstar »

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: September 12, 2012, 04:43:02 pm »

Just so you know, when you invade, you invade UPWARDS till you find someone to invade. Food for thought.

The only ones that invade down are darkmoon and forest hunters.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 04:45:38 pm by majikero »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: September 12, 2012, 04:52:57 pm »

Yes, you need to just stop trying to PVP in the low level areas and remember that level caps are infinite upwards for red orb invasion.

Low level areas are full of twinks.  It's a fact.  As a reformed chickenhawk (Not too bad.  I didn't use lightning katanas and shit, I went for cool looking invasions and didn't try that hard to win unless they were also twinks.  Also gravelorded for a while), I've seen that there are plenty of players who try to PVP and don't have fancy gear or lots of experience. 

Honestly, when you're invading don't expect a lot of fair play.
Shoes...

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: September 12, 2012, 04:58:06 pm »

Also bear in mind that a lot of high level players will be passing through newbie areas at any one time.  Gotta get to Anor Londo somehow.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #580 on: September 12, 2012, 05:05:48 pm »

Whenever I read threads like these, I always wonder where all the guys we talk about are. Hum.  :-\

Anyhow, not much gets said IMO, aside from the standard gripes: BSing, WoGing, Weapon Reinforcing, Using THAT Weapon, etc. is all cheap. Not to say that it isn't, only to say that its been said before. Numerous times.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 08:54:35 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »

lionstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: September 12, 2012, 08:43:26 pm »

So they pretty much tried to discourage low level invasions. Doesn't stop me from getting invaded twice in the beginning of The Depths by 2 different BS fishers who both had DWGR and a lightning bandit's knife.

Who looks for fights at the start of The Depths for Christ's sake?!

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: September 12, 2012, 09:16:11 pm »

You might just want to stop going around reverse-hollowed at low level if you're having that much trouble.  PVP is optional.

At higher levels of play BS-fishing and the like is just part of the game if you're playing to win.  Watch this, and especially part 2.  They talk about effective backstabs and how to counter them, including the backstab chains.  It comes down to how he's chaining them and how you react.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 09:23:40 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: September 13, 2012, 06:27:00 am »

So, I canceled my pre-order for Bioshock: Infinite and I have one thing to say.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I have a few questions at the moment though:

1.How do I kill the Moonlight Butterfly in Darkmoon Garden?

2. What are black knights, exactly,  I think i've killed one, but im not sure, are they the large humanoids in the armor like the one in Undead Burg and the Undead Parish?

3. Was it worth killing Solaire of Astoria for his armor?

4. Should I reinforce my armor or weapon first?

5. I've heard of a Drake Sword, how does one get that?

6. Is the Gargoyle Tail Axe better than a Battleaxe, with it's larger size but slightly less damage?

7. I'm guessing you can't parry an attack made by something alot bigger than you, is this true?

8. After I ring the bell in the Undead Parish, should I go to the Lower Undead Burg, or through the Darkmoon Garden?

9. Does the gate Sir Onion is waiting at ever open, the one just past the bonfire near the first bell.

10. That knight dude in the gold armor said he would have a reward for me in the future, when will I be getting this?

11. Are there any tricks to getting the parrying timing down, or is it just a matter of practice?

12. Would I be better off saving my souls or spending them on stats, because im not that great at not dying.

Alright, theres my questions, this game is awesome, but it also kicks my ass.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 06:29:46 am by Facekillz058 »
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: September 13, 2012, 07:24:44 am »

1. You need to wait for it to land or use range. Shield with high magic block is recommended.

2. Black knight are those big humanoid knights that will kill you in early game. They don't respawn in early encounters but they're end game mooks.

3. Depending on how you handle his story line, you'll end up killing him either way but his sword is awesome.

4. Weapon and shield gets first priority. Dodging and blocking should be your defense not tanking hits.

5. The drake sword is the bridge dragon's tail. Somehow, the tail came off for me even if I'm not trying to hit the tail, weird.

6. Tail axe is a gimmick. It does increase poison resistance. What you want from the gargoyle is his halberd.

7. You can't parry anything not humanoid. You can some that's only slightly bigger than you, like them black knights.

8. Both are good places to go. I'm not telling which is best.

9. It will open. That's all your getting though.

10. Go back to firelink and go down the stairs. He should sitting there. He gives a sunlight medal.

11. Practice. PvP timing and PvE timing is different due to lag.

12. It's best to use them for upgrades but stats are good too. Some areas have recommended SL for jolly cooperation so be mindful of of your level.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 127