Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 127

Author Topic: Dark Souls  (Read 148324 times)

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Souls
« Reply #480 on: September 01, 2012, 11:12:22 pm »

There is nothing more awesome looking than full Havel armor and dual wielding Havel shields... it's absolutely useless, but still amazing to see nonetheless. Some say a man's home is his castle... Havel misunderstood... Havel is his own castle.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: September 01, 2012, 11:16:15 pm »

Ok, several more questions.
A) how does the matchmaking work? Im barely in the game, maybe bought two or three levels when i first hit firelink. Anyway, ive not found anything to replace my starting gear, just past the Taraus demon. And i get invaded by guys with all this gear.
B) how am i being hit by a club at a distance? Is it a glitch? Or am i missing something?

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: September 01, 2012, 11:36:27 pm »

If you're talking PVP, it's not immune to lag... I often get affected by... what those of us old guys from the early-ish days of Team Fortress 2 might call a face stab. That is, getting back stabbed from the front due to lag or glitches or other silliness. Otherwise, I can only think of maybe one or two enemies with clubs which might have slightly off hit boxes on their weapons, but if you're only at the Taurus demon boss, you shouldn't have encountered them yet and they're not all that hard to deal with if you just learn to leave a little more extra room than you might seem to need.
Also a boss or two do have area/ranged attacks that are triggered with a swing of a melee weapon, but it's pretty obvious what's happening when it's happening.

As for being attacked early on by people with awesome equipment, there are bugs that allow you to do that on your own... but if you can get a friend to help (not all that easy with the summoning mechanics) then you can trade items between characters, potentially giving a low level character very nice weapons.

Sometimes you also just get unlucky and have to fight someone 15 levels higher than you.

Aptus

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed ôo
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: September 02, 2012, 08:59:49 am »

Well poop I just realised I have wasted a few points on dex that I didn't need to. I decided to look up a wiki for how the upgrade system actually works and from everything I can tell lightning weapons blow normals out of the water in just about every respect. This means I could have stopped at 15 for the winged spear and just held out until I could get the lightning enchant. Now I am sitting on 22 since I was going to go for the silver knight spear and pumping dex for it. From what I can understand I will be doing a ton more damage with 15 dex lightning winged spear than I would with a 50 dex silver knight spear.

Bah, ah well first character is first character I guess :p

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: September 02, 2012, 12:57:31 pm »

Well that was weird.  Started a new game as a pyromancer and got invaded at SL1.  I'm in newb gear and wielding a winged spear, they drop a +5 lightning spear and +5 chainmail set, back off while I equip it all and than get their ass kicked by me.  Running around one shotting everything, it somehow feels like I lost.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: September 02, 2012, 01:35:05 pm »

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: September 02, 2012, 01:42:45 pm »

Well that was weird.  Started a new game as a pyromancer and got invaded at SL1.  I'm in newb gear and wielding a winged spear, they drop a +5 lightning spear and +5 chainmail set, back off while I equip it all and than get their ass kicked by me.  Running around one shotting everything, it somehow feels like I lost.

One thing I love about the DS community is that you never know what's going to happen when you do multiplayer. They're truly strange and unpredictable.

I'm particularly fond of naked invaders that proceed to have an unarmed brawl with you. It's just not what you were expecting when you were preparing for that dungeon.
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: September 02, 2012, 01:44:26 pm »

I really love the respectful ones that invade you, but if you happen to be in the middle of a fight, they let you finish off anything you've aggroed and heal up, bow politely, wait for you to bow, and then you have a nice little duel... I've never survived one of those, but it really did feel nice anyway.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: September 02, 2012, 03:07:21 pm »

Word from the wise, lightning weapons are weaker at late game. In terms of raw numbers it looks good on paper but when it comes down to it, it hits both the normal defense and the lightning defense.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: September 02, 2012, 03:15:25 pm »

What, then, is the best weapon upgrade path? I've heard the most that it's lightning. I know that different damage types are better for different for different creatures, but what's the best overall?

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: September 02, 2012, 03:20:38 pm »

Normal upgrade is the best overall. With 40 stats on it's scaling stat, it will equal those maxed out elemental weapons. Then you can buff the thing for maximum damage.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: September 02, 2012, 03:22:48 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Incorrect.  Fire weapons actually cause (an extremely slightly) higher amount of damage than lightning weapons when fully upgraded, but being able to get to +10 rather than +5 means it takes longer to reach that potential.

What, then, is the best weapon upgrade path? I've heard the most that it's lightning. I know that different damage types are better for different for different creatures, but what's the best overall?

It depends entirely on equipment, playstyle and your opponent.  There really is no ultimately 'best' upgrade path or weapon.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: September 02, 2012, 07:29:29 pm »

Uuurgh, I might actually have to summon somebody on my low level dickwraith challenge.  I'm still SL11, now I'm on the last spoiler before I can become a dickwraith.  I'm not sure I can do this one without help.

Worse, the idiosyncrasies of this fight means apparently a lot of white phantoms won't even survive to the fight.
Shoes...

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: September 02, 2012, 08:32:13 pm »

Did you manage to unlock the NPC summon there? If not, that's gonna be a real pain.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: September 02, 2012, 10:09:42 pm »

I forgot about her.  Will she still show up if I unlock her and come back, or would I have to have done that before fighting them for the first time?

I was gonna start a new guy and do a regular game, no sequence breaking or shenanigans, staying human as often as possible, but two burg invasions by pyromancers with bleed clubs has me mad.  I want revenge now, I have to get dickwraith.
Shoes...
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 127