Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 127

Author Topic: Dark Souls  (Read 148295 times)

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Souls
« Reply #450 on: August 31, 2012, 09:32:54 am »

Full Elite Knight Armor +1, Lvl 33

Don't be in such a rush to level up.  You can generally get a lot more bang for your buck spending souls on equipment upgrades.  I think I was around SL 15 with +4/5 Elite Knight Armour and a +5 Scimitar by the time I reached Capra.  You're likely heading for PvP destruction at present.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Aptus

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed ôo
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: August 31, 2012, 09:38:41 am »

The issue with that is the fact that souls are easy to come by but titanite fairly rare. I am level 25ish at the moment but only found enough chunks to upgrade my spear two and a half times (need one more chunk for level 3.).

Gotta use those souls for something.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: August 31, 2012, 09:46:23 am »

You can buy titanite from the blacksmith. What I did was I just ran around the cathedral area before the blacksmith several times, each time getting enough to buy some titanite and eventually upgrade my stuff.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: August 31, 2012, 09:53:25 am »

Full Elite Knight Armor +1, Lvl 33

Don't be in such a rush to level up.  You can generally get a lot more bang for your buck spending souls on equipment upgrades.  I think I was around SL 15 with +4/5 Elite Knight Armour and a +5 Scimitar by the time I reached Capra.  You're likely heading for PvP destruction at present.

Well, for one, I don't plan to become human for a while. I'm just hoarding all my carryable humanity for the moment. For two, I did A LOT of farming in between Undead Burg and Undead Parish. Obscene amounts of grinding. I spent a lot of time not upgrading equipment because I was using the Warrior Standard Kit for so long. (I only swapped out Balder Pieces. But generally everything I came across pre-Gardens was worse without upgrading than the basic stuff.)

So I spent a lot of souls on leveling while I was figuring stuff out, exploring, ect.....Now that my level up costs are around 7k souls, I'm spending more on equipment. Also because I finally got pieces that were true upgrades, instead of "has better physical defense, shit magic defense" or vicea versa.

PvP is one thing I really don't want to fool with until way later. Randomly getting griefed by a professional isn't going to make my life more entertaining. And because so much of the game balance is in equipment, I really don't feel like rolling the dice with every opponent, some of whom are undoubtedly going to be ridiculously geared. There's just other stuff I'd rather be doing without the hassle of random gankitude.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: August 31, 2012, 09:57:02 am »

What Ozy said.  It's 800 souls for a titanite shard and 200 souls per upgrade IIRC.  You can also farm large titanite shards really easily
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

@nenjin: Fair enough then :)  I tended towards staying human as much as possible for the same reason I skipped the Drake Sword.  Forcing yourself to play on 'hard mode' can provide a lot of incentive to improve your own skills as well as avoid developing bad habits.  Each to their own and all that malarkey, I guess.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: August 31, 2012, 09:57:38 am »

I got the same point as you at one point, then I'd died a couple times and lost huge amounts of humanity and souls. That save was at 37 hours, now I've got a new one where I'm at 17+ hours of progress in about an hour of playing. It's best to scrap your first character at that point. Trust me, you won't regret knowing how the first .5 of the game goes on a new playthrough.

I feel like this game was designed for you to screw up your first build no matter what and just restart.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: August 31, 2012, 09:58:55 am »

I feel like this game was designed for you to screw up your first build no matter what and just restart.

Same here, it kind of fits it thematically too IMO.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: August 31, 2012, 10:04:51 am »

Fair enough then :)  I tended towards staying human as much as possible for the same reason I skipped the Drake Sword.  Forcing yourself to play on 'hard mode' can provide a lot of incentive to improve your own skills as well as avoid developing bad habits.  Each to their own and all that malarkey, I guess.

DS offers me enough difficulty I feel like I can be choosey about what challenges to embrace. Although, as I said above, I am starting to regret the Drake Sword. And I too have been feeling the temptation to nuke this character and start over. (Particularly because I killed the Merchant in Undead Burg as soon as I saw him, before it dawned on me he was an NPC.)
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Aptus

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed ôo
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: August 31, 2012, 03:40:02 pm »

So I managed to make it to the Undead Parish and decided to go a bit nuts. I wanted the Baldur Shield that the larger undead guys have so I channeled the old WoW player in me and started grinding. In the end when I actually managed to get it I had gotten a huge amount of souls and quite some titanite. I figured I might as well make some use of it so I upgraded everything I have. My winged spear and Baldur Shield are both +5 and all my armour is +3. Now I feel confident in taking on the bigger guy with a tower shield that I saw in the main entrance area.

Calech

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: August 31, 2012, 04:32:35 pm »

What Ozy said.  It's 800 souls for a titanite shard and 200 souls per upgrade IIRC.  You can also farm large titanite shards really easily

Unrelated to the above: trying out a different approach, namely grabbing and using the Zweihander. Two observations I've made so far; firstly, it wrecks most stuff it hits (seriously, after playing light armour builds that do meh damage, it does feel good to be the one smashing enemies to the ground instead of vice-versa), and secondly, the number of griefers in Undead Burg is absurd even by online gaming standards. As always, however, the one thing no invader can defeat is the Fog Gate :) (Note to self - name next character Sir Robin)

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: August 31, 2012, 05:10:28 pm »

How exactly does one grief in Dark Souls?

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: August 31, 2012, 05:12:32 pm »

How exactly does one grief in Dark Souls?
Kill low-levels with an overpowered build. Be useless or worse when you're summoned for help.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: August 31, 2012, 05:52:07 pm »

I'd view the former as a valid method of play (if not my own) and the latter as someone just being a bit shite at the game.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: August 31, 2012, 06:37:53 pm »

There's a glitch with the bottomless box to transfer gear between characters.  If you're good enough to take advantage of it, but not good enough to PVP in Kiln with the big boys, and also a dick, you can use it to get Darkwraith and kickass gear very early and make a lot of people in Undead Burg very unhappy.  I'd call that griefing.

I got the Great Scythe, and have it up to +4 already.  I love this thing.
Shoes...

ukulele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: August 31, 2012, 07:07:33 pm »

Started playing a few hours, although iv seen some lets play and things im trying to avoid using the drake sword and such becouse it seems it ruins the game. Iv killed the gagolys (how is it spelled), and im using that axe, now im trying to find the second bell, in my roaming i failed to deal with the carpa deamon or something like that but managed to kill a giant butterfly.

EDIT: Seems the game auto-defaulted to my native language and i cant find a way to change it back to english, i tired changing the windows live language but nothing changed, if anyone knows please share :D
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 127