Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 127

Author Topic: Dark Souls  (Read 148284 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Souls
« Reply #435 on: August 30, 2012, 03:00:18 pm »

I just realized/found out....

Dark/Demon Souls is made by the same people that made King's Field. It makes so much sense it hurts my innards. There's so much commonality between the two games, from aesthetics to mechanics, I don't know why I didn't realize it before. Somehow knowing they made King's Field has made me love Dark Souls just that much more.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: August 30, 2012, 03:06:49 pm »

There is actually a character from King's Field in Dark Souls. I won't tell you who, but he's there.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: August 30, 2012, 06:52:28 pm »

There is actually a character from King's Field in Dark Souls. I won't tell you who, but he's there.

If their name begins with an O I may squee a little if I meet them.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: August 30, 2012, 10:52:26 pm »

Are there are repercussions for:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: August 30, 2012, 10:53:48 pm »

Are there are repercussions for:

There's repercussions for everything.

To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: August 30, 2012, 11:01:00 pm »

Are there any good repercussions, besides the obvious? :P

I whooped Capra Demon's ass, after 3 or 4 really embarrassing deaths. Really I think I kind of regret getting the Drake Sword now because it's skewed my perception of difficulty. It's hard to imagine some of these fights with way lower damage. Or not using a shield. I don't know if I'll have the stones for NG+ if stuff is redonkulously hard. :{

And I can't seem to replicate that guy's success with the bridge Wyvern, I wonder if that video is from a patch long past. Bastard still flies straight up and torches me, and I take between some and all of my life with shield, without shield, near, far...the only consistent thing I've seen is being dead if I stand underneath him.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 11:03:35 pm by nenjin »

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: August 31, 2012, 05:46:33 am »

Lightning spears, lightning spears for everything. I really couldn't be bothered with the game after getting halfway through, but my friend who's completed the game three times let me use his lightning spear build. Drake sword has nothing on that.
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Aptus

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed ôo
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: August 31, 2012, 06:13:48 am »

Damn that bridge dragon to an icy pit. It WILL die! I just spent about 10 deaths on it (I think someone else was trying it at the same time cause I had a nice little blood pool of someone trying to kill it with the zweihander. I got a couple nice goes on it but it always ends in a fire combo of doom from it.

1) It does the fly straight up into the air and flame me.
2) As I am stunned it does it's rush attack that positions it behind me (and flames me again.)
3) Then it finishes me off with a normal breath as I try to run to the stairs.

Best so far I have managed to get a good 15 or so swings at it. But fuck me that thing will die!

EDIT: Ok seems I managed to find the safe spot to not get hit by that overhead flame
, but I still die when he decides to do the flame rush to the other side since the flames linger just long enough to make sure I can't get down the stairs until he flames me again. Move too quick, get his by the lingering flames, move too slow he breathes on you.
Seems I just have to keep trying until I get lucky enough that he doesn't do that particular attack.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 06:34:48 am by Aptus »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: August 31, 2012, 07:16:34 am »

I've been trying to get through the catacombs to get the Great Scythe.  I'm close.  I just need to collect some bolts to kill Necromancer 3 and I'm on that shit.

I still haven't killed Capra Demon, no matter what I do I'm dead within 3 seconds of entering the fog.
Shoes...

Aptus

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed ôo
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: August 31, 2012, 07:49:34 am »

YESSSSS! BUTTKICKING FOR GOODNESS!

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: August 31, 2012, 07:57:56 am »

PRAISE THE SUN!
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: August 31, 2012, 08:34:39 am »

I've been trying to get through the catacombs to get the Great Scythe.  I'm close.  I just need to collect some bolts to kill Necromancer 3 and I'm on that shit.
Spoiler: Strategy Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I still haven't killed Capra Demon, no matter what I do I'm dead within 3 seconds of entering the fog.
Most people summon a white phantom or two for that fight.
No Gods, No Masters.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: August 31, 2012, 08:41:41 am »

Most people summon a white phantom or two for that fight.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: August 31, 2012, 08:55:22 am »

Non fighter/tanky build?

I read strats that said go up the stairs and fight him from the ledge. I found that to be a complete waste of time. You have to be on the top landing or ledge to roll off, otherwise it's a straight narrow path you can neither roll off of or roll past him. And he can still swing at you while you're on the ledge.

I used the stairs to get his demon dogs in range so they could be killed without him swinging on me. Then I took the fight to the ground.

What really made the difference in the fight for me was a Caduceus Shield +3. (From a Hollow Shield +1) I could then block all his attacks but the two-handed swing without losing any life. Stability of 63 or so I think. (Full Elite Knight Armor +1, Lvl 33.)

The other thing that really helped were roll dodges. I do one right at the start of the fight to not die the minute I walk in there. Run forward to his right, and as he starts swinging, roll to a spot behind him and pray he's not doing 2 or 3 swing combo. Also pray his dogs don't block the stairwell.

I found that rolling under his attack was often was more effective than trying to block them, because he's got a fast swing. When I started rolling and taking no damage, and getting in position for a back attack, the fight suddenly seemed a lot less crazy.

After I had that stuff sorted, the fight didn't feel much different the black knights or the stone knight (albeit way faster than the stone knights.)

I can imagine for a light armor fighter/light shield user or someone without a quick, heavy damage weapon, Capra Demon is a nightmare.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 09:22:31 am by nenjin »

Aptus

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed ôo
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: August 31, 2012, 09:25:48 am »

I went and upgraded my winged spear to +2, now I am going to try to: