Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 127

Author Topic: Dark Souls  (Read 148197 times)

Toady Two

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SCIENCE]
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Souls
« Reply #315 on: August 24, 2012, 06:01:22 am »

I started playing the PC version. I haven't played this game on console before so this is my introduction to the series.

Here are my thoughts so far:

Lots of people are saying that it's a bad port and it probably is. It looks worse than most PC game of it's date. I'm playing using a pad with some keyboard commands mixed in so I can speak about the controls. Games for Windows Live! is an abomination as to be expected.

Technical issues aside I feel like this is a great game and the port, however bad finally allows me to play it. I have no intention of buying a console in any near future so it's nice to see that console devs can respond to demand for their game in the PC market.

Overall I think I'll enjoy this game for quite a bit. The atmosphere and combat are really good. I'm just out of the Undead Asylum and I haven't noticed the fabled high difficulty yet. Maybe thats just because I'm playing super-carefully after dying a few time in the first demon fight. Boss fights are usually telegraphed from far away so I don't engage in them until I finish exploring.

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: August 24, 2012, 06:26:38 am »

I hate the Bed of Chaos area so much damn you Linebacker Minotaur's no I don't want to be a football  :'(

Playing as Fats the Bandit really made me suck at the game damn crutch....I need to make a Parry/backstabbing Rouge

Also online with the lifehunt scythe is great 3-4 hit and there dead do to blood loss

so how that cool PC expansion stuff...
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 06:35:22 am by Alkhemia »
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: August 24, 2012, 06:58:17 am »

Overall I think I'll enjoy this game for quite a bit. The atmosphere and combat are really good. I'm just out of the Undead Asylum and I haven't noticed the fabled high difficulty yet. Maybe thats just because I'm playing super-carefully after dying a few time in the first demon fight. Boss fights are usually telegraphed from far away so I don't engage in them until I finish exploring.

I'm playing the game for the first time too and I definitely found the difficulty soon after that. I finally figured out how to kill the skeletons and giant skeletons, but I have no chance against the Ghosts and I wonder where you can get more of the thing you need to be able to hit them.

Nice to be playing just as this came out, bloodstains and ghostly figures everywhere.

EDIT: Muahahaha, someone named Sephirothcat invaded my game. I won, 1600 souls and some humanity for me. Which I lost by running of a bridge after dying to a Demon. Meeeeh.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 08:30:40 am by LASD »

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: August 24, 2012, 09:21:10 am »

Out of curiousity, how bad IS the PC port? I know that Keyboard support isn't built in, but is the "Locked at 30 FPS no graphic options ect" shitty PC port?
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: August 24, 2012, 09:25:54 am »

I'm playing the game for the first time too and I definitely found the difficulty soon after that. I finally figured out how to kill the skeletons and giant skeletons, but I have no chance against the Ghosts and I wonder where you can get more of the thing you need to be able to hit them.

Nice to be playing just as this came out, bloodstains and ghostly figures everywhere.

EDIT: Muahahaha, someone named Sephirothcat invaded my game. I won, 1600 souls and some humanity for me. Which I lost by running of a bridge after dying to a Demon. Meeeeh.
There are three different areas you can go straight to from the base camp.  I believe you've just mentioned two of them?
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: August 24, 2012, 09:54:44 am »

I'm just out of the Undead Asylum and I haven't noticed the fabled high difficulty yet.

Give it time, you've only just finished the tutorial ;)

I have no chance against the Ghosts and I wonder where you can get more of the thing you need to be able to hit them.

I'm not going to post flat out spoilers, but just leave that place alone for a while.  You'll know when you're ready for it.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Aptus

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed ôo
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: August 24, 2012, 10:18:10 am »

Just picked up the PC version on steam. I had told myself I would not because of GFWL but fuck it, I love the first one and I can't be arsed finding which box my ps3 is in. Heres to hoping I can actually get it to run even with GFWL...

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: August 24, 2012, 10:24:40 am »

Someone suggested the matchmaking was improved/changed. (I.E. You could actually have more choice in who you fight with/against.) Anyone know if this is true?

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: August 24, 2012, 10:40:11 am »

I really hope not.

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: August 24, 2012, 10:45:20 am »

Just picked up the PC version on steam. I had told myself I would not because of GFWL but fuck it, I love the first one and I can't be arsed finding which box my ps3 is in. Heres to hoping I can actually get it to run even with GFWL...

What. The Steam verison doesn't have GFWL, because they are two completely different Digital game services.

Someone suggested the matchmaking was improved/changed. (I.E. You could actually have more choice in who you fight with/against.) Anyone know if this is true?
I really hope not.
wat. How is better Matchmaking worse?
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

Aptus

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed ôo
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: August 24, 2012, 10:56:10 am »

What. The Steam verison doesn't have GFWL, because they are two completely different Digital game services.

Well that makes my day :) I just remember reading when the port was announced that it would use GFWL. And it being on steam is not a barrier from it using GFWL, there are games on steam that use it.

EDIT: nvm "Online play requires software installation of and log-in to Games For Windows - LIVE" so well... I don't have time to try it right now but hopefully gfwl will cooperate just this one time with me.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 10:59:01 am by Aptus »

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: August 24, 2012, 11:02:17 am »

I really hope not.

I find it pretty important to both the theme and atmosphere of the game that you have little to no choice over who you summon/get summoned/get invaded by.  Being able to tag team all the bosses using strategies that were prearranged with my buddies would devalue the experience for me, as would having people who did this running around in my game.  Unless that isn't what is being suggested, in which case I'd quite like to know what is being suggested :)

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: August 24, 2012, 11:09:53 am »

EDIT: nvm "Online play requires software installation of and log-in to Games For Windows - LIVE" so well... I don't have time to try it right now but hopefully gfwl will cooperate just this one time with me.

Yep, unfortunately it does have that crap in it. Just because it's distributed through Steam doesn't mean it won't use GFWL. Case in point, GTA4. Steam is both a service that can provide networking and matchmaking (i.e. Steamworks) and a digital distribution platform. There's nothing stopping a game from being sold on Steam and using some other networking and matchmaking service, such as GFWL.

Calech

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: August 24, 2012, 11:25:35 am »

You will find out where you can get more when you're a little further on in the game (ie. if you haven't found out yet you probably shouldn't be there :) ) Besides, Ghosts aren't necessarily the worst thing to fight...

I've just started playing the PS3 version again (bought it at release but got distracted by other things so never finished it), and have reached Anor Londo, which is a nice little place except for the fact that the bosses keep killing me. And every time I restore human form to summon help (just Solaire, because I'm in one of my usually antisocial moods), I get invaded. Luckily, no invader is able to withstand the power of the fog gate.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: August 24, 2012, 11:38:20 am »

I really hope not.

I find it pretty important to both the theme and atmosphere of the game that you have little to no choice over who you summon/get summoned/get invaded by.  Being able to tag team all the bosses using strategies that were prearranged with my buddies would devalue the experience for me, as would having people who did this running around in my game.  Unless that isn't what is being suggested, in which case I'd quite like to know what is being suggested :)
You could still arrange it so that you pick up your buddies, but it may still be a time consuming thing having to get on the 'same server' as your buddy.
As for going red on your buddies?  Eh... it is exploitable, since you could kill enemies for them as a red... without being targeted yourself.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 127