Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 127

Author Topic: Dark Souls  (Read 148184 times)

justinlee999

• Bay Watcher
  • Unflappably FABULOUS
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Souls
« Reply #300 on: April 13, 2012, 09:01:39 pm »

What? Steam doesn't have regional lockouts. I don't know what your talking about.
Where have you been?

Lumbajak

• Bay Watcher
  • They call me Jude
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: April 13, 2012, 09:11:46 pm »

Might have more to do with the governments than with Steam itself. I'm not an expert on the matter, though.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: April 14, 2012, 07:05:21 am »

Nah, this particular situation is due to some idiotic exclusive deal with a local distributor that's offering a localized version. But the reasons don't really matter, the simple fact is that I can't buy Skyrim on Steam. It's not listed and a search results in no hits.

revo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: July 29, 2012, 05:47:53 pm »

This thread needs more cowbell!

So I just got the game like 2 days ago and have beat the bell gargoyles on my first try. Right now I've been looking through the wiki for a weapon to replace my drake sword when it gets outdated (probably pretty soon). In dark root gardens(I have just got to the bonfire there) I know their is a spear I could get but it wouldn't have as much AR as my drake sword until i can get +5 lightning. Any suggestions?

terkiey

• Bay Watcher
  • chicken what i need
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: July 29, 2012, 07:23:02 pm »

This thread needs more cowbell!

So I just got the game like 2 days ago and have beat the bell gargoyles on my first try. Right now I've been looking through the wiki for a weapon to replace my drake sword when it gets outdated (probably pretty soon). In dark root gardens(I have just got to the bonfire there) I know their is a spear I could get but it wouldn't have as much AR as my drake sword until i can get +5 lightning. Any suggestions?

Look at this.

He shows you where to get a weapon that is valuable to the end of the game and is possible to get as soon as you start the game.
Also if you upgrade it with lightning, it is one of the best pvp weapons.
Quote from: Meistermoxx
Quote from: Knigel
Does anything bad happen if you accuse someone of being a night creature and they aren't?
Yes, they call you a rasict, and then they shot you and take your cocaine.
[(√[1]/∞)+3!+|Chicken|] / [100^(1/2)]

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: July 29, 2012, 07:41:47 pm »

Zweihander is pretty inferior to the drake sword though.  Black Knight weapons can be pretty awesome when you upgrade them a little, the Black Knight Halberd was pretty much my favourite weapon in the game.

It really does depend on your build and playstyle though.  I've seen well optimised dagger fighters ripping through heavily armed/armoured guys in pvp.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 07:49:50 pm by lordcooper »
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: July 29, 2012, 08:48:04 pm »

I'll get it anyway, I want the game more than I don't want GFWL.
Shoes...

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: July 29, 2012, 10:11:35 pm »

Zweihander is amazing. My first character upgraded it fully to +15 and used it through three playthroughs. It's still my favorite. It is, however, useless in PVP against any other character that has any amount of agility. It's pretty darn slow on the wind up which lets anyone half-way competent dodge it. If you can land a hit though, it's only one or two shots to kill almost anyone. I still go back to the early areas though and just wipe the floor with them sometimes... very satisfying.

Drake sword is decent for a starting sword and will carry you all the way through a single playthrough if you want to and even further with some effort, but to me it's just a bit boring. Unless I'm working with something else special, I'll usually use it, once I have the stats, up to Sen's Fortress at least, and possibly through Anor Londo.

I've been having fun with the scythe recently. I keep having a desire to make a fists character, but always get frustrated early on.

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: July 29, 2012, 10:22:32 pm »

Zweihander is amazing. My first character upgraded it fully to +15 and used it through three playthroughs. It's still my favorite. It is, however, useless in PVP against any other character that has any amount of agility. It's pretty darn slow on the wind up which lets anyone half-way competent dodge it. If you can land a hit though, it's only one or two shots to kill almost anyone. I still go back to the early areas though and just wipe the floor with them sometimes... very satisfying.

I've had a lot of success with the Zweihander in PvP, but you have to fake people out. Do not lock onto your opponent, then push Strong Attack, and immediately move the stick in another direction; you'll instantly change the direction of your attack to where you pushed the stick.

Most people will assume you're locked on and will predictably go directly to your back for a backstab. You instantly change direction to the back, land the strong attack, drop them, then go into a second Strong swing for the kill. Much like anything in Dark Souls it's not foolproof, though.
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

revo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: July 29, 2012, 10:24:38 pm »

Yea i was thinking about getting a lightning +5 zwei but it would take forever to get better than my drake sword

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: July 29, 2012, 10:35:00 pm »

Well , just a little hint from me to you,

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: July 30, 2012, 12:28:30 am »

I can't decide on a style. I was first using a character with a divine longsword (and 8 faith), heavy shield, stone armor, 38 strength, and all other stats in the low 20s or below. I stopped using that character after I couldn't even get past the guards to the Anor Londo boss. After realizing what a terrible build that is, I don't know why I didn't have problems earlier.

Next I tried medium armor, bastard sword, and balanced stats with mostly endurance and strength. It's okay, but I feel that the indecision on 1 vs 2 hands is making for a weak character. Plus, I kind of stranded myself in the middle of Ash Lake; I'm not sure I want to bother going back.

Now I'm playing a thief. Starting armor and sword, Crest Shield, high dexterity, some endurance, vitality, and resistance. It's good at killing a lot of enemies, but for some (particularly bosses), it's just bad. I can't even kill the butterfly; I've tried four times so far.

I think I'll try a Zweihander build next and hope for the best.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: July 30, 2012, 01:14:41 am »

Some enemies it simply takes practice, skill, and the right techniques. The Anor Londo boss guards do things in such a way that tanking isn't a reliable option. Agility is the best way to deal with them, getting under/behind them to attack.

As for 1 vs. 2 handing things. It's very hard to go through the game without a shield entirely. you WILL be one handing on occasion unless you're just a glutton for punishment/very good. A bastard sword can be a decent option if you can figure out when to use one or the other mode.

For me at least, thief characters are the hardest to deal with and learn, but apparently can pay off the best in both skill practice and certain types of combat.

Tanky/knighty characters are honestly the most noob friendly. Everything else takes a while to get up to speed and do their thing, but knights stay reasonably steady throughout, at least until you get to PVP and you run into a bunch of agile characters that just run around you and backstab you constantly.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: July 30, 2012, 10:44:01 am »

Heavy armour, shield and a spear makes for easy mode.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: July 30, 2012, 12:27:20 pm »

Heavy armour, shield and a spear makes for easy mode.
Light armor for the agility, there are certain enemies/attacks out there where its better to outright avoid having to block.... since you have to manage stamina... but yea, being lighter armor, it is less forgiving of mistakes...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 127