Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 127

Author Topic: Dark Souls  (Read 148168 times)

Kansa

• Bay Watcher
  • Distant Traces of Beauty
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Souls
« Reply #270 on: April 11, 2012, 03:12:29 pm »

Well it could be worse they could have used origin
* greatorder smothers Kansa with earwax

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: April 11, 2012, 03:17:19 pm »

One can only imagine what kind of deal the GFWL people have to strike to get games to use the service. It's like "We'll wash your car, we'll walk your dog. Man, I'll suck yo dick!"
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Toady Two

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SCIENCE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: April 11, 2012, 03:37:44 pm »

PC version will use Games For Windows Live. They had to fuck it up somehow, they just fucking had to. >:O

I never used GFWL yet I'm interested in getting Dark Souls for PC.

What's so bad about GFWL? I've heard a lot of people complain about it but I don't know why. Is it just another Origin-like memory waster or is it somehow worse?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: April 11, 2012, 05:05:13 pm »

No, it's an in-game client. People's main objection to it is that it's slow and clunky. It's got animated windows for everything that slow down the whole UI. You'll get to the main menu, prepare to play and GFWL will be like "HAI! U NEED TO LOG IN NAOW!" Then it will take you back to the same menu screen rather than advancing you. Sometimes it takes forever to sign you into your account. The messaging/friend/invite/join system is whackadoo and buried under a whole bunch of crap you don't use. And using any of the features requires the GFWL slow-ass drop down. The color scheme is an eyesore as well. Everything is huge and bright like it was designed for kids.

It's basically their attempt to get PC users and Xbox Live users connected, with GFWL sort of serving as the social network portion that PC users interact with. Except very few PC users care about connecting to XboxLive, Microsoft Points or any of that crap. In form and function it's basically XboxLive-Lite for the PC.

Those are just my personal pet peeves. It's a failed service that somehow still manages to get contracts with major games...probably because MS as a publisher has a lot of weight to throw around. I personally expected to not see anymore games with GFWL after 2012...but apparently they still have something they think they can offer people.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 05:10:40 pm by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: April 11, 2012, 05:10:42 pm »

It's similar to the Steam in-game overlay, only whereas the Steam overlay is merely bad, GFWL is incredibly horrible and as far as I can tell completely useless.

Roundabout Lout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: April 11, 2012, 05:38:04 pm »

And for some reason GFWL isn't content to just be a shitty Xbox live lite. For some fucking ass backwards reason I'm not aware of, it also holds an iron grip over your save games. The first time I played GTA4, I got sucked in for three hours or so, only to find out that I wasn't allowed to save unless I signed in to GFWL! Cue exiting game, creating an account, rebooting GTA4, entering my account info, and it STILL wouldn't let me save. And only because GFWL had to update. Close game, enter account info, update, start game, enter account info, and guess what? Another fucking update.
It took me almost an hour to get GTA4 properly started, at which point I was totally over it.

GFWL encrypts and decrypts your save games for no good reason, and I've heard horror stories of save games becoming corrupt in the process.

tl;dr: Games for Windows Live should be removed from existing games, and permanently discontinued. Anyone who had a hand in its creation should be ashamed.

Lumbajak

• Bay Watcher
  • They call me Jude
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: April 11, 2012, 07:32:24 pm »

I don't know why they didn't go with Steam, especially considering how much that would raise sales.

There's, what, over 7 million Steam users now?

At least it's not that abominable Dawn of War 2 that uses both Steam AND GFWL. Oh, the nightmares..

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: April 11, 2012, 08:17:49 pm »

I probably will skip the PC version. All of my characters are on the 360 and I doubt my PC would run it smooth anyway. My hands are also used to the 360 controller in this case, so even if I went with the PC I'd still probably plug a 360 controller in to play it.

Lumbajak

• Bay Watcher
  • They call me Jude
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: April 11, 2012, 08:49:06 pm »

I'm going to miss playing with all the japanese players.

I generally have less lag playing with them than other North Americans.

Not to mention stuff like this.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: April 12, 2012, 05:20:56 am »

tl;dr: Games for Windows Live should be removed from existing games, and permanently discontinued. Anyone who had a hand in its creation should be shot.

FTFY.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: April 12, 2012, 03:10:13 pm »

Clearly, they heard how hard GFWL is to use and figured PC gamers thought so much of themselves that they would challenge them to use it  :P

Disclaimer: No, I don't think PC gamers are elitist pricks, i am one after all.
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: April 12, 2012, 03:39:22 pm »

Clearly, they heard how hard GFWL is to use and figured PC gamers thought so much of themselves that they would challenge them to use it  :P

Disclaimer: No, I don't think PC gamers are elitist pricks, i am one after all.

I lol'd.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: April 12, 2012, 03:44:55 pm »

On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: April 12, 2012, 04:00:50 pm »

I don't think PC gamers are elitist pricks, i am one after all.

I can't speak for others, but I totally am an elitist prick.
Which is just what people who have no standards say about those who do anyway.
So there.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: April 12, 2012, 05:33:28 pm »

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 127