Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 127

Author Topic: Dark Souls  (Read 148141 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Souls
« Reply #240 on: October 23, 2011, 06:49:12 pm »

I am also on 360, and that has worked for me consistently. Odd.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: October 23, 2011, 07:14:13 pm »

I am also on 360, and that has worked for me consistently. Odd.

Is yours installed?
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: October 23, 2011, 07:18:43 pm »

Nope.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: October 23, 2011, 07:34:19 pm »

Finished!
You think you are, but you're not.

I'm finished enough.   :P  After 100 hours of gameplay I'm a little burned out.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: October 24, 2011, 03:46:02 am »

Nope.

Hm, that might be the problem then. I installed mine to stop my 360 sounding like a plane using my desk as a runway. I'll try uninstalling it and see what that does.
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Lumbajak

• Bay Watcher
  • They call me Jude
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: October 24, 2011, 05:14:35 am »

Finished!

THREE HUNDRED AND COUNTING.

FISTFIGHTIN' LOWBIES ALL DAY ERRYDAY

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #246 on: October 25, 2011, 06:29:31 pm »

Finished!

THREE HUNDRED AND COUNTING.

FISTFIGHTIN' LOWBIES ALL DAY ERRYDAY

Wow, I'm 20 hours in and bored already, you must either have absolutely nothing else to do or the patience of a saint.

So yeah, fighting is...alright. Better when they're not spamming you with a billion guys/ having them hide behind corners and take advantage of the shitty lockon system. Fights with the black knights and Havel the Rock were fun, but certain fights, like the Capra demon, were pretty shit. The fact that he's a cakewalk after you get rid of the dogs only emphasizes certain broken aspects of the game.

Camera is shit. It was shit in DS and It's still shit. They brought back the "hurr durr, making you walk on narrow ledges isn't artificial difficulty at all" bullshit, and made it worse. They also brought back the awesomely pointless status effects. Hey, devs, making an entire area inflict poison and toxic effects is not making the game harder, it's just wasting my time because all I have to do is grind out status healing items. Bosses and mini-bosses are pretty cool, but vary wildly in difficulty. Capra demon was horrible, if only because of the dogs, but the gaping dragon was a god damn cake walk. The hydras are annoying only in that you can't target the heads, and the Tartarus  demon only managed to kill me because I got hung up on his model.

Over all, a lot of the "difficult" thing in this game seem like stuff that, in any other game, people would bemoan as stupid or broken. Having to walk on ledges so narrow that you have to grind your face against the wall not to fall off? If that was in any other major game, people would think it's stupid. Having to run back across the entire world, fighting the same monsters over and over and over again without a hint of difference or variety, just to talk to one guy to upgrade one thing? People would Cry for blood. But this game gets away with it because it's "Hard". As much as I like a good challenge, and there are parts of this game I like, a lot of it just seems poorly thought out and at times just stupidly designed.

I get the feeling my level 22 darkwraith in the depths with full smoughs and assorted +5 elemental weapons, and my level 5 Gravelord in the burg with the same may be causing some players to never play this game again.

Well, good thing I have a sunbro to balance it out. Hehe
Sometimes I really feel like using that soul dupe glitch to get myself to max in everything, just to gank people like you. This game is bullshitty enough without having to worry about being randomly invaded by someone whose sole purpose is to make my life difficult. I sure do love struggling my way through a level, being almost to a boss or a bonfire or a short cut, and then suddenly being backstabbed by some red phantom piece of shit. Why not just give people the ability to randomly delete my save, if we're legitimizing being an asshole.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 06:49:42 pm by piecewise »

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #247 on: October 25, 2011, 06:46:06 pm »

Yeah, little angry, but in all seriousness more just frustrated and bored. Being annoyed about dying is only motivation enough to keep me going for so  long. After a while, I just don't give a shit and want to play something better.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 06:50:55 pm by piecewise »

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: October 25, 2011, 07:44:28 pm »

Well, I mean, you can always DC from xbox live. If you go online, in any game, you take the good with the bad. That includes PVP and co-op. :/

As for the bullshitty deaths, the only ones I can think of is whenever some random skeleton pushes me off a cliff, but usually I'm being an idiot as well, and it's not like there's any huge penalty for dying. Also, the camera complaints seem to be slightly reminiscent of Resident Evil's system; you can argue either side that it adds artificial difficulty, but it does make the game more intense and scary, I think.

The status effects I'll totally agree with, so as far as the curse effect that those fucking evil frogs use where you lose half of your current life bar. But, again, it adds inherent difficulty to an enemy that otherwise would just have lots of health or do lots of damage, which is pretty boring. Plus, you can pretty much prevent yourself from being cursed by blocking attacks, so, meh.

EDIT: A major complaint I have with the game is the super duper awesome weapons that you can completely miss out on if you don't know what you're doing. But, you don't need them to finish the game, and there are usually two or more ways to acquire them. Case in point, the Drake sword or the ring you get from [redacted] that adds 20% health and endurance, and reduces your carry load by 20%.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 07:46:18 pm by woose1 »

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: October 25, 2011, 08:21:22 pm »

How you get in Darkwraith? That mean
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

Lumbajak

• Bay Watcher
  • They call me Jude
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: October 25, 2011, 09:21:59 pm »

How you get in Darkwraith? That mean

All I do in invasions is run around in my fat suit having fistfights anyhow.

I pull out actual weapons if they're glitchers though.

postal83

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: October 26, 2011, 10:38:23 am »

Dammnit!  I'm only 20 hours in, just beat Vagina Dragon, and I figured I would be done with this by the time Skyrim comes out..  Doesn't seem like that's going to happen.

I'm still having a lot of fun with it though.  But as Skyrim nears, I'm becoming more and more excited...  This happens to me a lot, and games tend to get abandonded unfortunately never to be played again for almost a year.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #252 on: October 26, 2011, 11:00:47 am »

Well, I mean, you can always DC from xbox live. If you go online, in any game, you take the good with the bad. That includes PVP and co-op. :/

As for the bullshitty deaths, the only ones I can think of is whenever some random skeleton pushes me off a cliff, but usually I'm being an idiot as well, and it's not like there's any huge penalty for dying. Also, the camera complaints seem to be slightly reminiscent of Resident Evil's system; you can argue either side that it adds artificial difficulty, but it does make the game more intense and scary, I think.

The status effects I'll totally agree with, so as far as the curse effect that those fucking evil frogs use where you lose half of your current life bar. But, again, it adds inherent difficulty to an enemy that otherwise would just have lots of health or do lots of damage, which is pretty boring. Plus, you can pretty much prevent yourself from being cursed by blocking attacks, so, meh.

EDIT: A major complaint I have with the game is the super duper awesome weapons that you can completely miss out on if you don't know what you're doing. But, you don't need them to finish the game, and there are usually two or more ways to acquire them. Case in point, the Drake sword or the ring you get from [redacted] that adds 20% health and endurance, and reduces your carry load by 20%.
Like the co-op even matters. I have never once found a sign to activate to bring anyone into my world.

As per the camera, no I'm sorry, it constantly glitching into a wall is not creating tension. Me having to fight it more then the enemies is not good design. The camera is shit. You can get used to it and learn to play with it, but it's still shit.

And no, status effects have no fucking purpose regardless of what they are. Curse is the zenith of idiocy but all of them are stupid. The fact that I can get the Toxic effect by just standing around on the way to blighttown does not make the game better or more difficult. All it does is force me to grind Ents for a fucking hour. It's not hard it's just...boring. In fact, thats how I would describe the entire game: Boring. Not even that hard when it comes down to straight fighting, just boring. Killing the same enemies over and over and over again? Boring. Having to fight, very slowly, though the hordes just to get anywhere? Boring. Grinding souls or items just so you can get somewhere or use something? Boring. There's no sense of accomplishment with beating some particularly hard boss because the slog of having to walk back to them over and over has drained any sense of progress. It's not a "Yay, I beat the boss" moment when you win, it's just another "Finally, now maybe I can actually do something interesting" moment destined for disappointment when you realize that all that waits behind that boss is another labyrinth of apathy inducing fights and generic enemies.

I'm just so tired of fighting the exact same enemies in the exact same locations, using the exact same tactics and the exact same everything else. And yeah, it's all subjective, but god damn it I am bored.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: October 26, 2011, 11:20:01 am »

There's no sense of accomplishment with beating some particularly hard boss because the slog of having to walk back to them over and over has drained any sense of progress.

I got to admit, there were quite a few pretty pointless long walks to the bosses in some spots.  The lava area and the final boss fight walks took forever and were boring as hell.  I liked the rest of the game, but I did not enjoy many of the "Fight the boss for 15 seconds, lose, then walk for 3 mins without any challenge".  I think the developers were just trying to pad their game's playtime with that.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 11:21:32 am by Levi »
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #254 on: October 27, 2011, 07:22:16 pm »

(removed a deraily argument)
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 127