Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 127

Author Topic: Dark Souls  (Read 147970 times)

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Souls
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2011, 11:11:59 pm »

Note to self: I'm way out of practice.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

PenguinOverlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2011, 12:35:17 am »

Yay, it's not a PS3 exclusive this time.
CleverBot: It hurts when you laugh at me.

Alehkhs

• Bay Watcher
  • The Sorrow of Poets
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2011, 03:03:39 am »

Still waiting to afford a PS3 to play Demon's Souls and several other titles.

However, watching the first few clips of this kid strong-arming his way through the game makes me question its infamous difficulty slightly...

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2011, 03:16:33 am »

Relavent.  Results may vary.

This goes on for a few comics...

EDIT: Also, looks like the guy started with one of the easier classes... high armor, decent weapon and decent shield.
EDIT2: I don't know how far you've gone with his videos, but the first one... and the one after are basically the tutorial stages...
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 03:30:23 am by Zangi »
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...

Alehkhs

• Bay Watcher
  • The Sorrow of Poets
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2011, 03:29:51 am »

EDIT: Also, looks like the guy started with one of the easier classes... high armor, decent weapon and decent shield.
EDIT2: I don't know how far you've gone with his videos, but the first one... and the one after are basically the tutorial stages...

Watched till the second boss - which he beat by spamming the 100 something moon-leaves he had collected by then.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2011, 03:32:00 am »

Seriously, the high armor helps a lot for newbies in the not dying department... does he even know the art of roll?

Later on, that armor is not going to help as much...

EDIT: Its like a crutch, given the weight of the armor class he is wearing... sacrificing the ability to dodge attacks.  Which is a good skill to have for later...

EDIT2: I'll probably want to listen to his reaction to one of the arch-demons... if any...
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 03:45:59 am by Zangi »

Alehkhs

• Bay Watcher
  • The Sorrow of Poets
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2011, 03:58:33 am »

I mean, it still looks fun, and If I can get a PS3 before they shut the server down, I'll definitely grab a copy. It's just that most people I've heard have claimed it's nigh-impossible, and how it was a full 180 from mainstream hand-holding.

The one that's gritting on me now are all the people who played the first one going "Wait, why is Dark Souls gonna be on XBox too? They'll never be able to play something that hard," (whereas this kid evidently had just gotten a PS3 before playing this) but that's just general Westboro Baptist-level fanboyism. Read: the default kind of fanboyism.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2011, 04:59:59 am »

Oh it can be hard when you are first learning it...  and don't know whats coming.  You also have to be willing to stick with it for the self-satisfaction.

I've kinda remembered most of the crazy stuff that would pop up and murder me 1 of 5 different ways at the very least.  Sadly, there is the other 10 things that surprise murdered me as my play session has just proven.

jnecros

• Bay Watcher
  • Black dog runs at night
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2011, 08:44:30 am »

No way you can strong arm your way through the whole game..just would not work out at all.

My first character was a duel-wield dagger +dex w/magic as a backup, and boy that was a rough way to start. I did get very skilled in parry/riposte, which is hefty damage, but sadly most of the creatures are not parryable because they use natural weapons like claws and teeth or they use some type of magic or ranged. So, while this build was like slamming my head against the wall, I did learn levels 1-3 very well for my next character, I never could clear the rest of the game with this build.

My next build was a shield using tank/mage, and it was so much easier, it took me 1/4 of the time to clear 1-3, and the rest of the game plus one additional playthrough was enjoyable, but still very difficult.

Despite how much I'd love to monkey around with another duel-wield spec, I think that I am going to start Dark Souls as a tank/mage build.
Half beard
half belly
all dwarf

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2011, 12:48:55 pm »

The game only actualy gets that hard during the second and following playthroughs, but really it depends alot on what world he's in. Boletarian palace doesn't offer alot till you get past the phalanx archstone. If he was playing through the island of storms it'd be a whole different story. If you don't dodge there, you'll die many times.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Farseer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2011, 12:56:20 pm »

Relavent.  Results may vary.

I'm amazed.

The artwork on CAD has actually gotten WORSE.

Lumbajak

• Bay Watcher
  • They call me Jude
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2011, 01:05:17 pm »

One thing I'm hoping for is more than four bloody character slots.

It's really very limiting.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2011, 11:15:10 pm »

I never had more then 3 characters, so :P

I just started a faith build, its okay so far. I'm going to keep leveling my meat cleaver build though, it makes those silly dual katana people cry.
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2011, 02:39:13 am »

No way you can strong arm your way through the whole game..just would not work out at all

It depends what you mean. Some of the best weapons are the strongest, and by some I mean all, not because of the damage they do, though it is rediculously high, but because of the range and swing they afford you.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2011, 12:58:54 pm »

Not quite, some enemies don't stagger even with hits from a massive weapon, and since they's much slower you're leaving yourself open quite more often. Ever tried fighting black phantom skeletons in the shrine of storms? Leaving yourself open there will get you killed pretty fast.

Also, a blueblood sword build with light weapon cast on it does stupid amounts of damage with its combo, not to mention what a faith build can do with a +5 blessed guillotine axe. With the right build it pretty much doesn't matter what weapon you use as long as they're fully upgraded and you know what you're doing. A few weapons have advantages though, IE the mirdan hammer using the same moves as the halberd but being better because it does blunt damage (which works better against armor), the meat cleaver with its huge reach and awesome roll+attack move and great stat scaling, the double uchigatanas with good reach and fast combos, etc.
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 127