Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 127

Author Topic: Dark Souls  (Read 148549 times)

Berserker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Souls
« Reply #855 on: November 13, 2012, 05:02:40 pm »

Is there any restrictions on who can invade you? I was invaded by a quite powerful player today. I tried to find a hiding place, hoping that he won't find me, but eventually he comes and we just circle around each other for awhile. Then I kick him and strike him, barely doing any damage. I hit him again and he parries and kills me in one strike with his flaming sword and does some sort of facepalm gesture.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: November 13, 2012, 05:04:33 pm »

You can only be invaded by someone who is within five soul levels of you, but they can have any equipment.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: November 13, 2012, 05:24:30 pm »

5 levels?  I'm pretty sure the restrictions vary based on the covenant, but nobody knows exactly.  Darkwraiths can invade something like 10+x below and infinitely above (Where x is 10% of your soul level).  Darkmoon Blades can invade 10+x above and infinitely below.  Forest and Dark Anor Londo have no restrictions.  The consensual PvP/PvE like chalk and dragonbros are 10+x above and below.

That's how I understand it, and my multiplayer experiences mostly corroborated.  I never saw anybody who seemed out of the level range.
Shoes...

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #858 on: November 13, 2012, 08:32:34 pm »

Is there any restrictions on who can invade you? I was invaded by a quite powerful player today. I tried to find a hiding place, hoping that he won't find me, but eventually he comes and we just circle around each other for awhile. Then I kick him and strike him, barely doing any damage. I hit him again and he parries and kills me in one strike with his flaming sword and does some sort of facepalm gesture.
There's an arseload of rules depending on what method the invader is using to enter your world. You should look up Multiplayer on a Dark Souls wiki for the details. It would take ages for us to explain it to you.

Squanto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: November 13, 2012, 10:03:14 pm »

... why oh WHY did I decide to see what was downstairs after I beat the Taurus Demon?  I'm going to go cry because I have ll my xp in some dark corner that I'll never retrieve
Probably no reason other than it giving them a larger B-peen.
The B is for Business.

revo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: November 13, 2012, 10:11:50 pm »

all you have to do is sprint man! havel is really slow if that is who you're talking about you can deal with him easily

Squanto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: November 13, 2012, 10:30:25 pm »

all you have to do is sprint man! havel is really slow if that is who you're talking about you can deal with him easily
Funny joke, man.  I can barely parry anything, and backstabbing seems to be really hit or miss.  Not going to take out much at all right now other than junk enemies
The B is for Business.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: November 13, 2012, 10:49:42 pm »

Havel is a great learning opportunity. When he is swinging, after he finishes the first part of the swing but before he slams it down, roll toward him, to the side. Then stab him in the back (or just slash if you want). Repeat for a couple of minutes, or until you make a mistake and die.

Retrieving XP after Havel death isn't bad. Just lure him upstairs, sprint past him, pick it up, then sprint past again.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: November 13, 2012, 11:25:19 pm »

Funny joke, man.  I can barely parry anything, and backstabbing seems to be really hit or miss.  Not going to take out much at all right now other than junk enemies

You gotta learn somewhere man.  However many souls you had, I guarantee it's not a significant loss if you just beat Taurus.  The trick to parrying is to hit the button as the tooth is coming down on you.  The trick to backstabbing is to circle-strafe until he swings and you can get behind him.  Don't be afraid to dodge if it doesn't look like you're gonna make it, all of his attacks will one-shot you.
Shoes...

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #864 on: November 14, 2012, 01:28:12 am »

Use a ring of sacrifice. There's one just outside Firelink Shrine under the bridge/sewer tunnel and before the stairs that lead up to the Undead Burg. You need to jump to reach it, but its easy to nail.

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: November 14, 2012, 10:38:11 am »

you can also kill havel by stripping your armor and running up the stairs and jumping down.  If he follows you and drops, he'll lose a small but significant amount of health when he lands.

Squanto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: November 14, 2012, 10:54:54 am »

Well, I must be getting better.  I just beat the metal boar and the guy with the mace, so I decided to go back and try the swordguy in the tower.  I was actually going to kill him till he switched to exclusively doing the block-breaking nigh unparryable overhead swing, killing me when I was 1 parry from killing him.

EDIT: Doing better, just beat the guy guarding the blue tearstone ring and beat up assasins until I got 1shot by the capra demon.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 01:00:34 pm by Squanto »
The B is for Business.

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: November 14, 2012, 01:45:09 pm »

So, my latest character is rolling a Tower Sheild.
And the Greataxe.
And Pyromancies.
All and all.
Win.
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

Squanto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: November 14, 2012, 03:34:49 pm »

Wewt I broke the difficulty cliff!  I took out the gargoyles with little problem, got both the axe and the shield, and now I got the black knight greatsword! And I won when I got invaded!
The B is for Business.

Bitoru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: November 14, 2012, 04:07:33 pm »

Wewt I broke the difficulty cliff!  I took out the gargoyles with little problem, got both the axe and the shield, and now I got the black knight greatsword! And I won when I got invaded!

Congratulations on breaking the difficulty cliff!
Now ring the second bell and get ready for the difficulty mountain.
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 127