Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 127

Author Topic: Dark Souls  (Read 148462 times)

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Souls
« Reply #735 on: October 02, 2012, 11:38:03 am »

Pure ember all the way. Just upgrading it all the way to +15
Although for my alternate mage character magic ember seems a given, or enchanted don't yet know the difference there.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: October 02, 2012, 11:56:10 am »

Basically, Magic and Enchanted decrease a weapon's physical damage while imbuing it with magical damage. The difference between the two is that Enchanted weapons have a steeper curve. The physical decrease is greater, but the magical increase is also greater.

The best candidates for them are of course weapons with little physical damage to start with which you plan to use against enemies which are more vulnerable to magic than physical.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: October 04, 2012, 10:29:01 pm »

I think I might be overleveling, but I don't really care.  I'm planning on being a Black Knight once I get to level 120.  I'm still in my first NG, just got the lordvessel, and since I'm not high enough for the hardcore forest hunters I'm running around Darkroot garden smacking the shit out of lower level invaders and using the souls to upgrade.  I'm like level 65 now.

PvP is fun.  I'm using Havel's Ring and F&P, the boosts together give me enough to wear Havel's along with a lightning claymore (Yeah yeah, I know, I'm just using it until I get something more thematic.  I'm pretty sure black knight gear can't be ascended like that anyway so it's no big).
Shoes...

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: October 04, 2012, 10:31:38 pm »

You're going to have some serious problems leveling after the 90's, at which point the only sufficient source of souls which doesn't involve grinding is sucessful PvP against other people with massive soul counts.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Comrade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: October 04, 2012, 10:40:14 pm »

Just don't mind the dying and you should be fine.
If you can do this, you can beat the game.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: October 05, 2012, 07:02:51 am »

I have a level 18 character that I intended to be a asshole version of soliare, but instead ended up being an awesomely nice version. I couldn't take down the 4 kings at 18... at least not yet, so I've been messing around helping out the early bosses with my +5 lightning sword and highly upgraded solaire set. I built up a really nice chunk of souls doing that after a while... still didn't want to level... said screw it and made a few +5 raw swords for people and was just handing them out at the gargoyle boss if they didn't have anything better.

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: October 05, 2012, 07:45:02 am »

So i've been derping around on a new character I wanted to build as a high-dexterity-ranged-fast-scimitar wielder.
Screw this.
The fact that the Scimitar does low damage isn't made up by its speed at all, imo.
Im going to work on my Zweihander char next time I play, I think.
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: October 05, 2012, 07:58:59 am »

I have a level 18 character that I intended to be a asshole version of soliare, but instead ended up being an awesomely nice version. I couldn't take down the 4 kings at 18... at least not yet, so I've been messing around helping out the early bosses with my +5 lightning sword and highly upgraded solaire set. I built up a really nice chunk of souls doing that after a while... still didn't want to level... said screw it and made a few +5 raw swords for people and was just handing them out at the gargoyle boss if they didn't have anything better.

Fuck that, man.  Go darkwraith. Wear the maggot.  Be the sun.
Shoes...

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: October 05, 2012, 08:27:38 am »

I already have a darkwraith character I almost never play. I just don't enjoy doing that to people... I mean, I know it's part of the game, and I honestly don't mind it when it happens to me... it can even be fun sometimes, but damn it just feels bad when I mow down someone who has no business fighting a significantly upgraded character.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: October 05, 2012, 09:56:25 am »

I've been having a go at another playthrough with my alternate mage character.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also I've been thinking about Solaire. There's just something off about him.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 10:34:44 am by Jelle »

revo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: October 05, 2012, 02:13:02 pm »

I've been having a go at another playthrough with my alternate mage character.

I've only beat BoC once so I'm not an expert but I generally take it pretty slow and make sure i run with my shield up. I would say pick a lane and stay with it til it get obstructed and don't go to fast. Either ride the outside or inside. The outside lets you avoid the branches a lot, but the inside is more direct because the very center floor doesn't fall til you get both the outside branches, and this means you're less likely to hit a hole if you keep your back turned inside.

Haschel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: October 05, 2012, 03:54:43 pm »

I had the exact same line of thought (And according to the wiki it's a pretty popular line of thought) when I finished his story. Ultimately there aren't any concrete answers to be had from the game, but I would like to note that he DOES carry a custom talisman. I've only fought him the one time and didn't think to look if he equips it when he casts lightning bolt though.
Spoiler: Ending spoilers (click to show/hide)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: October 05, 2012, 06:30:36 pm »

After more PvP experience, I have two questions:

1, why don't indictments work?  I mean, they don't work at all, why are they even here?

2, if the game isn't going to bother to make sure spell animations and their actual effects don't match up, why have them?  I've seen soul arrows launched literally perpendicular to my position hit me for 90% of my health.
Shoes...

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: October 05, 2012, 06:36:40 pm »

I don't have any experience with indictments, but the issue with the spell is just one of general lag, I think. Backstabs have a similar problem. Even if you have not been hit from your perspective, from your opponent's perspective you may well have been.
No Gods, No Masters.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: October 05, 2012, 07:47:50 pm »

I gave up on indictments and the spells aren't so bad.  You just have to remember to dodge even if it doesn't look like it should hit you.

I got my dex up enough to use the black knight sword.  I was worried the loss of lightning would hurt me but the strength scaling makes this thing hit like a bus.  I can't wait to see what the black knight greatsword can do.
Shoes...
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 127