Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 127

Author Topic: Dark Souls  (Read 148442 times)

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Souls
« Reply #705 on: September 29, 2012, 12:17:59 pm »

I don't think that bullshit tricks like getting enemies caught against pillars and whatnot are really in the spirit of the game, but exploiting attack patterns and the like is.

For me, the list of worst bosses in the game is
Capra Demon
Final boss
Smough and Ornstein

Seath and the Bed of Chaos are close to being on that list.
Quelaag is annoying, but a decent boss.

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: September 29, 2012, 12:49:06 pm »

Out of curiosity, would Dual-weilding shields or two-handing a greatshield be remotely viable?

EDIT: Also, with a Zweihander, would I be better off with heavy armor with Poise, or lighter armor with none?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 12:52:40 pm by Facekillz058 »
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: September 29, 2012, 12:53:23 pm »

You can indeed dual wield shields. In fact, dual wielded fire/lightning bonewheel shields are an established strategy.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: September 29, 2012, 12:55:30 pm »

Sounds awesome!
If I ever get that far, I might try that out.
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: September 29, 2012, 01:08:38 pm »

EDIT: Also, with a Zweihander, would I be better off with heavy armor with Poise, or lighter armor with none?
Depends on your shield. If you're using one, I'd recommend heavy armor. If not, you should use lighter armor and dodge.
Or, option 3, up endurance to the extreme and wear the heaviest armor at under 50% encumbrance. I find this option to work the best; the stamina is also useful. If you're already playing a mage / cleric character, might not be so good.

When dual wielding shields, you can still only block with the left one, The one in your right hand is just for bashing, and provides no defensive benefits. It certainly works.
I don't know if two-handing a shield provides better defense than one-handing it. It'll lower the strength requirement, at least.

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: September 29, 2012, 02:42:05 pm »

Isn't the spirit of the game to use any exploit or AI failure you can to beat them?   IMO, using parrying to beat a boss is more legit than using a summon to mess with his aggro.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: September 29, 2012, 02:43:09 pm »

Well game+ is interesting.

I'm pretty much still one shotting everything. The only non boss that so far survived more then one blow was a black knight.
However I pretty much get one shot by everything else as well. It seems like everything does twice if not thrice the amount of damage.

I wonder if perhaps I shouldn't raise my resistance. I have so far only really upped my vitality to stay alive, but my healthbar large as it may be just melts away from even the most basic attacks.
Just now a hollow thief took off half my health bar with a single stab, scary stuff.

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: September 29, 2012, 02:49:46 pm »

I'm having a hard time finding a better weapon than the black knight sword.  I think the demon lightning spear I picked up in anor londo could be better, but it'll probably be about the same total damage split between physical and lightning.

Plus I've cranked my str to 40 so I can wield pretty much everything with one hand.  IMO, it'd be more balanced if your str stat was the maximum amount of str you could use between both arms.  IE, you could wield the black knight sword, but you'd have to use a buckler or something.  You could wield a great shield, but then you'd have to use a short sword.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: September 29, 2012, 02:51:11 pm »

As far as I know, resistance is never, ever good to level up, for any reason.

Also holy shit, I am really regretting not taking the master key.  I wanted to do a real playthrough, with no twinking or sequence breaking or any of that, but god damn, Blighttown is fucked up.  If I can just get to the swamp it won't be that bad.
Shoes...

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: September 29, 2012, 03:00:40 pm »

lol.  Right?  Blighttown is so fucked up that getting into a swamp that constantly is poisoning you seems like an improvement.

Edit:  You can't parry the berserkers can you?

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: September 29, 2012, 04:24:35 pm »

However I pretty much get one shot by everything else as well. It seems like everything does twice if not thrice the amount of damage.

I wonder if perhaps I shouldn't raise my resistance. I have so far only really upped my vitality to stay alive, but my healthbar large as it may be just melts away from even the most basic attacks.
Just now a hollow thief took off half my health bar with a single stab, scary stuff.
Resistance doesn't do much. It would be better to increase your endurance so you can wear better armor.

Blighttown isn't as bad once you know where to go. It's still terrible, but it's not as bad. Just don't mind the dying and you should be fine.

revo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: September 29, 2012, 04:39:19 pm »

The lag is the worst part IMO. every thing else i just sprint past and hope i don't have to dodge because slow rolls SUCK because i don't have my DWGR on.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: September 29, 2012, 05:30:09 pm »

Eh I just went for a run through in blighttown (game+) and I don't see what's so bad about it.
All of the opponents are fairly easy to dodge, except maybe those two attack dogs. Then there's also those blowdart guys but so long as  you bought some of the hollow looking lady's moss you should be good against those.
The only thing I really hate about blighttown is the general nasty atmosphere. That and those mosquito things but they're just annoying not dangerous.

I'd say I had a lot more trouble with lower undead burg. Those darn dogs shred me to pieces and they're hard to hit.
Capra demon was a pain this time round, just getting in there and not being ripped to shreds by the dogs while evading the demon's attacks is so difficult!

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: September 29, 2012, 06:52:22 pm »

i'm playing the pc version, so no lag problems for me, but the combination of toxins, falls, and the berserkers are what did it for me.  Spider shield makes it easier, but it's still bad.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: September 29, 2012, 09:41:29 pm »

Spoiler: Gwyn-pinion (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 127