Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 127

Author Topic: Dark Souls  (Read 147960 times)

Lumbajak

• Bay Watcher
  • They call me Jude
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Souls
« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2011, 02:34:15 pm »

A few weapons have advantages though, IE the mirdan hammer using the same moves as the halberd but being better because it does blunt damage (which works better against armor)
Actually the main advantage of blunt damage is that it breaks through guards like nothing and is a guaranteed stun on every hit.

jnecros

• Bay Watcher
  • Black dog runs at night
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2011, 03:02:33 pm »

No way you can strong arm your way through the whole game..just would not work out at all

It depends what you mean. Some of the best weapons are the strongest, and by some I mean all, not because of the damage they do, though it is rediculously high, but because of the range and swing they afford you.

I don't see a way to make it all the way through the game by using heavy armor and trying to heal past damage, rather than avoiding damage: aka rolling/dodging. Just standing thre slugging it out with every mob like it was a standard hack n' slash seem pointless and impossible.

But sure, the meat cleaver is brilliant, I have a strength toon in progress and I love that weapon, but it has several limitations
Half beard
half belly
all dwarf

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2011, 06:42:49 pm »

I don't think its even possible to survive the game all the way using heavy armor all the time, you need to be able to dodge or you'll die to anything that isn't a normal mook. You either use a ring of great strenght + good endurance to move fast using real armor, or use light armor and dont carry alot of heavy weapons. Its possible for the first 2 archstones of boletaria, and stonefang I guess, but then you start noticing a simple dodge far outclasses the penalties of heavy armor.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 06, 2011, 10:05:32 pm »

You can strongarm it up until you reach the enemies who can kill you in one or two hits, which is as said just after Phalanx.
If the amount of bloodstains online is to be judged, trying to run up and melee without using any stealth Mind Flayers when low level is a good way to die in a very short time.

I can't imagine trying to play through the game without dodging. The skeletons will take you to pieces, and the red knights will slaughter you with little effort.

I mean, it still looks fun, and If I can get a PS3 before they shut the server down, I'll definitely grab a copy. It's just that most people I've heard have claimed it's nigh-impossible, and how it was a full 180 from mainstream hand-holding.

It's not unbeatable hard or unfair. It's just very strict. You do something wrong, you die, and if you don't learn and correct your mistake you'll die again. You have to be able to adapt and figure out what you are doing wrong.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 11, 2011, 02:54:13 pm »

Shameless bump. Since this is sort of half a demon souls thread, anyone got a character around 45-60 soul level range? I wanna do some colorless demon soul farming.
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2011, 03:32:37 pm »

Mmm.  I can't wait till Dark Souls comes out.  Demon souls was so much fun and so nice on the eyes.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Lumbajak

• Bay Watcher
  • They call me Jude
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 11, 2011, 03:56:03 pm »

About a week ago I was on 1-3 with my DBS build

I got invaded by someone who also had a DBS, but with curse weapon.

My equipment was slightly too heavy for me to roll, so I got killed in one hit.

Then when I put down my blue eye stone, I got summoned by the guy who had, not even a full minute prior, just killed me.

Then he got invaded by a guy using a Mirdan Hammer with Curse Weapon who proceeded to oneshot both of us.

I love the multiplayer in this game.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 11, 2011, 04:05:58 pm »

I'm doing a faith build and its pretty fun. While fully updagrading weapons to +5 blessed updgrade is annoying, you do some crazy magic damage plus you have some serious health regen with your weapon + adjudicator shield and regen ring. Plus the Large Sword of Moonlight is just hilarious. And god's wrath actualy does some pretty serious damage, if you manage to cast it. Doing some colorless soul farming with sparkly the crow, but I think my soul level is a bit too high cause I only ever manage to invade someone once in a while, so if anyone on the NA servers is interested, just leave your char's name here and i'll add you.
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 11, 2011, 05:29:36 pm »

Wow this looks fun.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 11, 2011, 07:16:40 pm »

Shameless bump. Since this is sort of half a demon souls thread, anyone got a character around 45-60 soul level range? I wanna do some colorless demon soul farming.
Ah... farming.  Fun. 

There is a way to dupe, which friends of mine have employed to full effect.  Though, it might've been closed up with a patch?
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 11, 2011, 10:09:56 pm »

I AM duping, using the sparkly the crow method, and no, hasn't been patched. Still works, but since there's fewer people doing the Shrine on my soul level its hard to do it, its also possible to do it with blue eye stones if you have a friend to help.

Thats why I'm trying to find someone around my level range so we can both dupe some colorless souls. I want 20 at least to max the large sword of moonlight, dark silver shield, istarelle, and maybe the white bow? Not sure about that one.
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 11, 2011, 10:38:20 pm »

I use the bow instead of magic myself. 

Probably cause I'd rather carry arrows then I would the mana healing things.  (Havn't upgraded any mana)  Though, considering it.... it is somewhat more versatile...  If I could get over not being able to free-aim as well...

I can only suggest you get yourself up in level...  It opens up a bigger range of players you can play with anyways.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 08, 2011, 06:38:44 pm »

Brace for thread necromancy.

Wait for it..

So yea, Dark Souls is to arrive this october, and so far it looks like a prettier, better designed demon souls with alot more exploring involved (supposedly)

It does look pretty nice so far.

EDIT: Its also comming for the Xbox360, for the PS3 lacking people out there.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 06:43:46 pm by Dakk »
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 08, 2011, 06:42:55 pm »

This is one of the few console exclusives that tempt me.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 08, 2011, 06:48:10 pm »

Even this game's logo is vaguely threatening.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 127