Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 127

Author Topic: Dark Souls  (Read 148260 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Souls
« Reply #1410 on: June 15, 2013, 03:27:16 pm »

Got into this game after a friend brought it over last week, and so far I absolutely love/hate it.

Knowing nothing, I jumped in as a mage. It's been a hard journey, but now I'm at the Duke's Archives and I think I have most of the spells in the game. I've got 50 Int and 36-ish Attunement. I don't have an Xbox live connection, so I don't know what I'm missing out on for PVP (somehow I think this dragon head thing I've got would've been easier to level with PVP).

Anyway, Mages seem to be good against bosses, but somewhat squishy against anything else. Once I got Soul Spear, the infinitely infuriating Dual Boss I've taken to calling Fatso & Shishkebab suddenly became a pushover, and the Four Kings fight, which my friend warned me would make me tear out my hair, was a joke. Goddamn armored boars getting into the archives, though.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1411 on: June 15, 2013, 04:09:38 pm »

Speaking of trainers, could you recommend a one that works?I have the same problem as Cthulhu, I want to try different builds but I just don't have the time.

Without real save editors or megamule, and with cheatengine much harder to use after a recent patch, your best bet is using the Fling trainer and just giving yourself infinite health, stamina, and souls, and sprinting through to get what you want.
Shoes...

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1412 on: June 15, 2013, 05:08:05 pm »

Damn, Hugo, you're pretty good at the game. Getting to the Duke's Archives in a week as a mage. I haven't managed that; though, I have a bad habit of not leveling up.

PvP is like another game.
It's really not much easier to level up in the dragon covenant with multiplayer; you put down a summon sign and they have to be human and accept it for a duel. Winner gets one dragon scale. You'll probably get scales more quickly by farming in the Valley of Drakes.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1413 on: June 15, 2013, 05:26:55 pm »

Hmm. Well, somehow I feel I have the wrong character for turning the rest of the way into a dragon. Full dragon probably requires more endurance and resistance to be effective than what I have now. I think I'll stick with using the dragon head for decent, infinite mid-ranged attack.

Is there any way I can get additional charges for homing crystal soulmass?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1414 on: June 15, 2013, 05:42:39 pm »

Getting a second crystal soulmass spell (that means new game plus, bithces)

You never want any resistance.  Period.  Ever.

Also I made a silver knight, SL52, straight sword and dragonslayer bow.  Mostly acting as a third bow knight which is pretty great in a Prepare to Die kind of way.

God save the queen.
Shoes...

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1415 on: June 15, 2013, 06:38:49 pm »

You never want any resistance.  Period.  Ever.
Resistance gives +1 or +2 to every defense per stat, PLUS the +1 for leveling up, so effectively +2/3.  This works until Res 40, when it starts to drop off.

This can help especially against elemental attacks that don't scale, like pyromancy and fire/lightning weapons, and when you've got light or no armor it can double your armor rating.

Despite what some people think, Res does not become useless as you level up.  The stat increase is consistent, and no matter what level you are, adding +1 Red will add +1/2 to your defenses.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1416 on: June 15, 2013, 06:48:46 pm »

The point isn't that Res is completely useless, it's that your points are better put into anything else. Levels are valuable.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1417 on: June 15, 2013, 10:18:01 pm »

I can get the same benefit from one humanity.  It's better to hit harder than to take less damage (you can't win if you don't hit) and with generally less than 100-120 levels to work with, there's really no situation where resistance is worth it.

Has Oolacile Township been dead PvP-wise for anyone else?  I've had a lot of trouble getting any invasions going on, giving or receiving.  When I finally did get some invasions it was wall-to-wall giantdads.
Shoes...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1418 on: June 15, 2013, 11:58:39 pm »

It's better to hit harder than to take less damage

This is mostly due to a few reasons

1) A lot of enemies kill you with one hit
2) A lot of enemies deal so much damage to you that you need to heal after a single hit anyway
and
3) Killing an enemy is a good way to make them stop hurting you

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1419 on: June 16, 2013, 12:47:46 am »

Spoken like a true roll-pussy.

Get that shield up boy, show your dwarven mettle!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1420 on: June 16, 2013, 01:11:34 am »

Get that shield up boy

Ahh yes how did I forget?

4) Some shields entirely negate all attacks anyhow with very little loss.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1421 on: June 16, 2013, 01:22:03 am »

Most shields negate all physical damage and 30-50% of elemental damage (including magic) with tower shields blocking 50-80% of elemental.  Small shields, like bucklers, hardly block any, and don't interrupt attacks even.  Only really good at deflecting arrows or daggers, or being a target shield and providing a parry boost.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1422 on: June 16, 2013, 02:57:17 am »

Unless you have great magic shield...

Anyway, the full dragon form also looks a bit goofy, with the stubby little wings and relatively tiny hands. Having some armor is nice as the light armors/clothes I've found boost bleed and poison resist immensely, saving tons of trouble. As for shields, so far I've just been sticking with the crest/dragoncrest shields, and the gargoyle shield for when there's lightning.

So, this is one of those games that goes back around the the start after you beat it? That what you mean by New Game+ ?

Baneling

• Bay Watcher
  • Acid Balloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1423 on: June 16, 2013, 03:06:34 am »

Once you beat the game, you can go back to your prison cell in the Asylum and start over with all your levels and equipment in New Game+.

NG+ enemies hit harder, have more health and give more souls than in new game. Every time you beat the game you can NG+ again and each time the numbers go up, to a maximum of NG+7.

In NG+ you keep everything except plot coupons like the Covenant of Artorias, Lordvessel, bunch of keys etc.
I tend to be a stupid person. Expect me to say/do stupid things and we'll probably get along better!

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1424 on: June 16, 2013, 03:09:12 am »

Sweeeeet.

I just beat Seath today, I'm guessing I'm near the end. I imagine I've just got the other 2 guys mentioned in the intro to defeat for their lordsouls (First of The Dead and the Furtive Pygmy, I think.) Then I get to open that big stone door, with presumably the final boss behind it.
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 127