Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: A lot of real countries have Dwarf Fortress style names if you translate them...  (Read 7105 times)

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile

There's an island named "There was Gold"

Wonder why it got that name?

"We have" is another good name, and a north African country being name "The Islands"? That, was, PERFECT.
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

EnDSchultz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Namibia, northwest of South Africa, is "Area Where There is Nothing".

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

Hehe, it's very unaccurate. Russia does not mean "rowers" or "seafarers" literally. "Russia" comes from "rus" which was a name of a viking tribe/small nation. They were seafarers I guess.

Also there are a lot of theories for EACH country, so don't get a single image which tries to unite everything too seriously. Still it was an interesting research I guess.

I would argue about calling "finland" a simple "land". Of course in english it is "land of finns", but its real name is Suomi which could mean "scale" or it could come from a personal name Suomi.

P.S. I've checked it and "Suomi" may mean land or ground too... So yeah, tons of theories.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 05:07:49 pm by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
  • Eidora Terminus Imperii Romani
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!

Haven't read the whole thread yet, but from the get go, LOTS of plain wrong stuff here, especially Denmark and Sweden.

Danes were there before Denmark were, so the the Dan in Danmark is obviously a reference to the people, Mark is yet to be agreed upon but may mean multiple things.

And Sverige, the native name for Sweden is Sve, rige, "Sve realm", because the Swedish kingdom was the unifying of more people by the Svea from Svealand(Central Sweden) the name Svea's Realm, Svearike, was used instead. Amongst the people unifeid were various smaller identities like the Göta, Dalians and possibly more erased by time.

I'm danish ^^

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile

"Luxembourg" Means "little fortress". D:

Vertigon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Fortress by the water... nice :D

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile

Don't care how accurate this stuff was, it's hilarious.  I mean...  there's a place in Africa called "Blacks".  Also west is that paragraph long one about sugar and taxes.

Detonate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"Frizzy Hair New Blacks"

What the Hell, Spain? Still, I'm doubting the translation quality, but not the comedic value.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 08:01:39 pm by Detonate »
Looks like that poison wasn`t good for their eyes at all.
I never thought I'd say this, but Nietzsche is just adorable.

Icee77

• Bay Watcher
  • I gave dogs [CAN_LEARN]. What have I DONE?!
    • View Profile

10.Military Unit?!?!
Bad

ASS!!

mwanafalsafa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I guess when you think about it it does make sense. Proper nouns aren't just sounds people made up even if that's the way they sound. It's just because they're in another language. Often the language is an ancient one so even a native speaker might not realize what the word really means.

People didn't go around naming places random sounds. They named them after stuff they already had names for, like trees, animals, geographic features, etc.

Dishwater

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Programmer
    • View Profile

I live in "The Fertile Place" and come from "A Rainy Place". :-\

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info

Don't care how accurate this stuff was, it's hilarious.  I mean...  there's a place in Africa called "Blacks".  Also west is that paragraph long one about sugar and taxes.

Yeah, hey, uhm, Niger means black in latin, therefore, Nigeria= where black people live.
NVMD, I got my geoprahy confused, adn according to the wikipedia link blacks isn even correct anyhow.

There's a couple of wobbly ones, but I'm more suprised that people didn't know the DF-names are quite in tune with the real world equivelants... Now if only the names could actually be describing the area around them!

Yes DF, it's very colorless... >_>
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 06:51:42 pm by therahedwig »
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile

'Unknown Southern Land' would only really work if Australia were still known as Terra Australis Incognita. We're really just South.

Descriptive.

I also like Chinese names for places. As previously mentioned, England is Ying Guo (brave or handsome land, more to do with sounding alike than any particular admiration on the part of the Chinese), America is Mei Guo (Beautiful Land), France is Fa Guo (Law Land), Lapan is Ri Ben (Sun Origin), and Australia is Ao Da Li Ya, which, i think, means something like Bay Big Sharp Losers.

Fitting, I suppose.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

My favourite one is definitely "I go to the beach" (pacific island I don't know the name of), followed closely by "particle" (laos) and "settled" (oman).
"land of the free" (iran) wins on irony points and "land of the thunder dragon" (bhutan) wins with awesome.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

chewie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Switzerland= To Burn

wat. Only because our capital city's name is Bern?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4