Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Oh, hey ghost, where are you going? Oh. Of course.  (Read 3227 times)

MiniMacker

• Bay Watcher
  • Side-effects include nausia, tantrum and insanity.
    • View Profile
Re: Oh, hey ghost, where are you going? Oh. Of course.
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2011, 05:11:21 am »

I seriously demand the partying ghosts to return.

I mean, look at the first Harry Potter movie, the ghosts are fucking mascots!
It isn't a new Dwarf Fortress version until we're made to fear some kind of regular creature.  Carp, Elephants, Unicorns, Badgers, and now Mosquitos.  I've got 5 dorfBucks on the next one being plagues of groundhogs.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2011, 06:58:46 am »

I too demand possessions. Whether they cause moods, tantrums, insanity, or even chronic partying. We must have this.

Actually, its probably in the dev goals somewhere....

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2011, 07:27:06 am »

It's actually in the mood database.  Accord to the wiki, there's a number of thoughts associated with ghosts.  Thoughts like "Urist slept on a fine bed" type, not the strange artifact moods.

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Thoughts
-Scroll all the way to the bottom.

Anathema

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2011, 11:59:36 am »

It's actually in the mood database.  Accord to the wiki, there's a number of thoughts associated with ghosts.  Thoughts like "Urist slept on a fine bed" type, not the strange artifact moods.

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Thoughts
-Scroll all the way to the bottom.

"..has been (haunted/tormented/possessed/tortured) by a dead and still annoying acquaintance lately" [Emphasis added].
The good news is that ghosts die of old age.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2011, 12:23:13 pm »

Yes.  I noticed this.  Apparently, DF has a social niche, where a person may be a lover, or a friend, or an acquaintance, or an annoying acquaintance.  You may then have a ghost who is any of these relationships.

The ghost of one of those awkward friends who you don't really know but hangs around you anyways.  I would say "God Bless DF" but I don't think God has any hand here.

Azrael001

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2011, 12:31:48 pm »

Agreed.  Dwarf Fortress is the game that asks: "Where's your god now?"

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2011, 01:29:15 pm »

Being "possessed" is a strange mood, but that's being possessed by the artifact in making.  You'll notice on their workshop it says "such-and-such-artifact demands body parts!" which implies that the artifact itself is a quasi-spiritual entity, making itself represented in the physical world by the artifact, and possessing a dwarf to create its vessel.  Rather demonic, if you think about it, and could be improved on, like when/if artifacts become magical, these could have very dark capabilities.

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2011, 01:47:49 pm »

No, I'm talking about something where I could have sworn a possessed dwarf had the ghost symbol on top of him, a little different from a normal randomly-generated possession.

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress: Hatchetminds
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2011, 04:45:47 pm »

No, I'm talking about something where I could have sworn a possessed dwarf had the ghost symbol on top of him, a little different from a normal randomly-generated possession.

Right, and it would be cool to see the possessions result in something relevant to the ghost's career. A dead farmer would make a barrel or a bucket, while a dead soldier would make his weapon of choice.

A dead legendary artifact maker would grab the pre-existing artifact and make modifications to it, perhaps turning it into something else or adding new levels of decoration to it.
Urist McShrodinger likes unobservable properties for their haunting implications.

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2011, 11:04:22 am »

I didn't know ghosts could kill my dwarves! I would've gotten rid of them sooner if I had!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2011, 04:03:04 pm »

It suddenly now occurs to me that dwarf ghosts need to be the ones possessing the strange mood dwarves.

This needs to happen.

I wrote up a suggestion for that a long time ago.  It's probably on page 20 of the suggestions forum by now.
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Vindicated_Dorf120

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2011, 04:40:08 pm »

I didn't know ghosts could kill my dwarves! I would've gotten rid of them sooner if I had!

... Son, this is dwarf fortress. What in the world made you think these were the cuddly Harry potter-esque type of ghosts? These are the ghosts of dwarves who never made it home to rest. These are the angry, blood thirsty ghosts who sneak into your dwarve's rooms late at night and rip their souls out through their nostrils as they slumber.

Shrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2011, 05:13:45 pm »

... Son, this is dwarf fortress. What in the world made you think these were the cuddly Harry potter-esque type of ghosts? These are the ghosts of dwarves who never made it home to rest. These are the angry, blood thirsty ghosts who sneak into your dwarve's rooms late at night and rip their souls out through their nostrils as they slumber.

Even worse... They shave off the beards of their victims!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2011, 06:27:03 pm »

This is DF.  Everything is weaponized, either through effort or already hardcoded.

Horizon9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2011, 11:25:56 pm »

It suddenly now occurs to me that dwarf ghosts need to be the ones possessing the strange mood dwarves.

This needs to happen.
Urist McNoviceWeaponSmith has been possessed by Urist McLegendaryWeaponSmith!
Urist McPossesed has created Deathblade, an Adamantium Long Sword!
What a tiny roc. I guess I could call it a pebbl.
Pages: 1 [2] 3