Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Oh, hey ghost, where are you going? Oh. Of course.  (Read 3233 times)

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Oh, hey ghost, where are you going? Oh. Of course.
« on: February 03, 2011, 08:10:42 pm »

So, I recently had my fortress "attacked" by a ghost. It was one of those peaceful ghosts that just hang around the same places that they spent time in while they were alive. Guess where he went? The atom-smasher, where he was killed. Why was I not expecting that? Oh, and that stuff about ghosts being bad for FPS? Rubbish. My FPS is fine.
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Oh, hey ghost, where are you going? Oh. Of course.
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 08:20:12 pm »

For now, but give it a little time.  A few ghosts, doing their 'disappear and reappear' act every few steps, will give you the jitters.

kenpoaj

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 08:21:41 pm »

Also, ghosts can't be killed by magma, or by being encased in stone. i tried last night, and it sat in the wall then walked out.
This forum is a bunch of nutters, and you couldn't point to anything to contradict it.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 08:22:18 pm »

They can be killed by berzerk dwarves!

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 08:23:32 pm »

For now, but give it a little time.  A few ghosts, doing their 'disappear and reappear' act every few steps, will give you the jitters.

I am expecting more, actually. I may have atom-smashed a few waves of migrants along with my ghost friend.

Oh, and I tried atom-smashing him. (That thing gets quite a bit of use doesn't it? May as well atom-smash my 1500+ iron while I'm at it...) So that doesn't work either.
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

ext0l

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 08:27:32 pm »

So, I recently had my fortress "attacked" by a ghost. It was one of those peaceful ghosts that just hang around the same places that they spent time in while they were alive. Guess where he went? The atom-smasher, where he was killed. Why was I not expecting that? Oh, and that stuff about ghosts being bad for FPS? Rubbish. My FPS is fine.

What announcement do you get?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2011, 08:30:13 pm »

There was a thread about ghostly fishers before.  Apparently dwarves continue their daily routines while dead.  Soldiers hang out in barracks or battlefields, fishers fish, atom-smashed migrants, well, they get atom-smashed again I guess.  What you should really be asking is "How can I weaponize this?"  My suggestion, get your migrants very deranged.  Feed them on table scraps, and only every few months, with only some stagnant water to drink, and frequent vermin and long, LONG patrol duties (ie, station their squad somewhere and leave them).  Eventually, you've have a set of dead, angry, combat-trained ghosts.  Bonus points if you force them into combat, and preferably kill them with it.  Like, drop a bear in a group of five, so three die, one's injured, and one gets another mark towards the "vengeful anti-bear ghost" scoreboard.

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress: Hatchetminds
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2011, 08:37:47 pm »

Drowned ghosts hang out at the bottom of the pond, rather bizarrely.
Urist McShrodinger likes unobservable properties for their haunting implications.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2011, 08:40:10 pm »

Will ghosts interact with people, aside from fighting?  Can we get a master orator ghost elected as mayor?  I read that tigermen can be elected mayor under certain conditions...

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2011, 08:42:57 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

(I nicknamed him with exclamation points as a note that he was to be atom-smashed)

Mantonio

• Bay Watcher
  • Make Science!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2011, 09:44:43 pm »

I have an idea. Do ghosts notice ambushes, or scare away things? Because if they do:

Build 3x3 rooms all along the border of your fort entrance, at regular intervals. Put a dwarf inside each one of them, and just let them die. once they have, deconstruct the room and forbid the corpse.

BAM! Ghostly sentinels.
Who's the greatest warrior ever?
A hero of renown?
Who slayed an evil ocean?
Who cast the Lich King down?
BILLY!

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2011, 09:51:30 pm »

(I nicknamed him with exclamation points as a note that he was to be atom-smashed)

I think he meant "What announcement did you get when he got atomsmashed again?"
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Spotswood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2011, 01:38:26 am »

I think he meant "What announcement did you get when he got atomsmashed again?"

"Egon" has crossed the streams
"Ray" has crossed the streams
"Venkman" has crossed the streams
"Winston" has crossed the streams

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2011, 03:06:28 am »

When I have ghosts over active atom-smashers they are completely unaffected. No announcements on any channel and they remain there all the same.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress: Hatchetminds
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2011, 03:14:11 am »

It suddenly now occurs to me that dwarf ghosts need to be the ones possessing the strange mood dwarves.

This needs to happen.
Urist McShrodinger likes unobservable properties for their haunting implications.
Pages: [1] 2 3