Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Sandbox Megaproject  (Read 2112 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Sandbox Megaproject
« on: February 03, 2011, 08:10:03 pm »

I'm thinking about playing a vanilla (or nearly vanilla) world with the sole intent to make some megaprojects, for the sheer joy of stonesense and also adventurer mayhem.  Small maps, 2x2 or even 1x1 with invasions off and a strict pop cap to ensure high FPS and ease of play.  Possibly with no parent civ and only the two migrant waves and babies.  The only issue is, ideas.  Current ideas are basically "inverted fort" where the fort goes upwards instead of into the ground, or the exact opposite, a pit all the way down to the magma sea with living spaces set into the walls of the cavern, or any manner of creative things.

Basically, what's something cool that you've wanted to see in Stonesense or other visualizer, but have never had the patience and waste of time to perform?

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
Re: Sandbox Megaproject
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 08:28:49 pm »

A huge stick figure or something similar.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 08:31:30 pm »

Actually, given the available color pallet, I could manage some sprites, use boxite for red hair, microcline for blue robes, and make some enormous pictures via method of Minecraft.

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 09:24:51 pm »

Build gigantic letters spelling out your name. Then make some pixelart nearby.
" It... it's finally over. Oh Armok it was like the end of days in some kind of gristly death bathtub of untold horror and wow that is a nice waterfall."
Embarked on a haunted volcano. I am currently terrorized by skeletal alligators.

Bererez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 09:26:41 pm »

Screw rocks, use gem windows. You can animate your pixel art.
"ur ist... nein, ich will sagen 'es,' ur es"
Something you might type in a German language class if you were stupid and playing some kind of text tag, I guess.

urist

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 09:39:11 pm »

Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2011, 03:56:43 am »

Now THAT is a mega-project.  How the devil would you get the timing right though?
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2011, 04:03:26 am »

Now THAT is a mega-project.  How the devil would you get the timing right though?

Easy. If the timing is wrong, disassemble and then reassemble. Perhaps the timing also depends on the order the gems are selected in, or the order in which the gems are brought to the construction site?

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2011, 05:54:13 am »

Right, but dwarves are notorious for not doing what you want them to at EXACTLY the time you intend.

It probably won't matter though, since I suspect the color-cycling to be tied to the same process by which DF cycles through multiple creatures/objects occupying the same tile.

I need to experiment with gem windows now, see for myself how the color-cycling works.  Does the game ACTUALLY take the "order" of gems into account? 

And what can you do with 3 frames of animation?  That's enough for "travelling dots" down a line, so maybe I could make landing-lights to guide-in dwarven airships.  Can you get a "walking" effect with just 3 frames if I wanted to try to make an animated dwarf?
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

Qinetix

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2011, 05:55:34 am »

Hmmm... A ice statue?
Desu

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2011, 07:15:12 am »

Gem windows, interesting.  I'm not sure entirely what could be done with that, but there's potential for sure.  Perhaps have them coursing up the sides of a tower, with 2 blue and 1 red, so that it has the landing strip effect.  do gem windows work in stonesense as well?

Funtimes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2011, 07:49:14 am »

Gem windows, interesting.  I'm not sure entirely what could be done with that, but there's potential for sure.

Well, you could try to recreate the neon sign outside most sex shops.

But I would go for a similar theme involving an axe meeting a goblin's neck. Axe, swing, blood spurting everywhere.

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2011, 07:51:16 am »

Well, if you need ideas... in Heroes of Might and Magic V, there is a purely dwarf faction.

You could recreate the city...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And recreate the fact they ride on bears (kind of).
Giant badgers are cruel saddistic balls of fur and hate. Did anyone know they could paint a wall with a single dwarven baby?.... You know what, I made the Giant badgers sound like sane DF players.
A Kea has stolen a coke!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2011, 07:54:46 am »

I'd had that idea, a sort of "geothermic borehole" type fort.  Only problem is that it doesn't visualize well on any working visualizers, since you can't look down.

Funtimes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2011, 07:55:23 am »

I've already been planning that idea for a while. A whole fortress built around a 200z hole.
Pages: [1] 2