Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hermit Challenge question  (Read 1195 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Hermit Challenge question
« on: February 03, 2011, 07:08:52 pm »

How do you get rid of immigrants until you get a nice, safe deathtrap like a drowning chamber set up? I tried a cave-in type of thing with constructed floors, but I killed a cat and injured a dog the first time, and the second time I killed the other cat and the hermit.
How do you easily set up a dwarvish deathtrap with only one constructive dwarf?

Hint: If you try to just leave them in a burrow with no food or water or anything, they'll leave it to get food and drink.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
Re: Hermit Challenge question
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 07:16:54 pm »

Just pit everyone else.
That didn't last long, huh? Shame, cause binary's cool. Anyway, an important message: I will be changing my names on every username based thing I use to ASCIt on/around 10/1. Consolidating, I guess you could say.

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 07:20:17 pm »

I'd say dig a moat around them. If there's no ramp, dwarves can't get out.

Say, like this
Code: [Select]
.XXXXX.
.XIIIX.
.PIIIX.
.XIAIX.
.XXXXX.

On the A square, channel out once.

On the X squares, channel out two layers. This should remove ramps. The A square will let your hermit clamber out.

On the I squares, set up a meeting area.

On the P square, mine out the first layer, then channel it. The result should be a floor tile with no soil under it.

When immigrants get into the meeting area, channel out the P square from outside, and the migrants become locked in by the moat.

Expand the plan to fit all migrants. This will require renewing every wave until you manage to obtain a more elegant solution.
Giant badgers are cruel saddistic balls of fur and hate. Did anyone know they could paint a wall with a single dwarven baby?.... You know what, I made the Giant badgers sound like sane DF players.
A Kea has stolen a coke!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 07:21:24 pm »

Just have the hermit wall himself in (with all supplies, and some space to construct a death trap at your leisure), and leave the other 6 dwarves outside, to drink water and eat vermin.
They'll starve or snap eventually. To speed things up, put them in a squad and activate them for duty, for extra unhappy thoughts.
Same with immigrants. If there's any survivors left when the first dwarven caravan arrives, order some dwarves to attack it, and trigger a loyalty cascade.

A simple deathtrap design that's pretty quick to construct would need 3 mechanisms, a 1x2 drawbridge and a 1x1 meeting area.
Don't forget to restrict that lever to be pulled only by your hermit, as to make sure he does not end up as a smear of blood.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 07:26:44 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 07:24:04 pm »

Pit them via dropping off a bridge or simply locking a door.  Burrow or not, no escape means no life.

JonMonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 09:12:39 pm »

I just started a hermitage last night, and I'm finding that simply atom smashing every Urist-come-lately is leaving me with a lot of ghosts hanging about.  Looks like the road to my fortress is going to be paved with slabs.

Hivemind

• Bay Watcher
  • PEEKABOO.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2011, 09:14:03 pm »

Have them all contribute to making a single bridge. Station them all together under said bridge.
Socks.  Lots and lots of socks.  It's the greatest Dwarven vice of all, outstripping alcohol by several orders of magnitude: the desire to own and haul as many feet-warming tubes of cloth as possible.
It's the tent of Hilarious Flying Shenanigans!  Everyone's favorite circus.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2011, 06:41:32 am »

Put a shop outside, and have every migrant build one coffin.

EDIT: Alternatively, just set your max population to 0, this causes migrants to stop.

JonMonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2011, 12:52:38 pm »

Put a shop outside, and have every migrant build one coffin.

EDIT: Alternatively, just set your max population to 0, this causes migrants to stop.

Those would both work from a meta-game perspective.  But I like the idea of hordes of dorfs making the long journey to Lonleyhole, a pilgrimmage to visit the Shangri-La of dorfdom, where they eagerly anticipate supping on the words of the inconic hermit in his mountain home.  Oh, how they dream of the riches and life of ease that awaits all who make the trek - after all, none have ever returned, they must be perfectly content there.  It must be wonderful, right?

And then - WHAMMO!

warlordzephyr

• Bay Watcher
  • Keeping dwarves in booze since 2008 (40d)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2011, 01:53:15 pm »

I used to lure them into a closet then lock the door behind them.
I just made all my dorfs proficient Biters, liars, and went from there.
"Did you eat Urist?"
"Pshht, of course not!"shifty eyes

orbcontrolled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2011, 06:39:37 pm »

Use Runesmith, mark them as dead.

Armok decrees it, and thus it is so.

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2011, 09:34:05 pm »

Draft them in the military. Tell them to go fight some ogre, or elephant, or unicorn.