Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is it possible to lower the population cap but still get everything?  (Read 1923 times)

Dwarfotaur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I find even 80 dwarves to be too many. I want something around 60 dwarves. I currently have just over 100 and I have about 50 idle and my fortress is a huge mess. Stockpiles are over flowing and I don't know what to do with the idle dwarves as I don't need them for anything else.

So yea, can I edit the pop cap down? I still want to get things like Mayors and other higher ranking nobles. I still want sieges, megabeasts, titans, etc. I remember reading that things like that only activate once you reach a certain population. I've yet to actually experience anything like that as I get angry at my mess of a fortress due to so many dwarves. 20+ migrants a wave is too  much for me to handle. Is there a max cap on how many migrants a wave? Maybe I should lower that and ease them in to jobs...

I'm not sure what I want now so this topic probably looks weird. Basically I want something more manageable  but also 'fun'. I want more things to attack me as right now, I'm about 6 years in and have only killed one enemy, despite having all three cavern layers breached for 2-3 years.

Edit:
In fact, now I understand military. I want to make a military fort but I  have no idea how to get a decent embark. I guess I'd want an embark with some trees (to get going), magma, flux stone, plenty of metal in the ground, evil by nature and habitated whilst being local enough to goblins to be sieged... Too bad I suck at finding the embark I want, even with custom set parameters and searching possible embark sites.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 05:40:02 pm by Dwarfotaur »

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Is it possible to lower the population cap but still get everything?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 05:48:53 pm »

The population requirements on (semi)megabeast arrival can be edited in the raws - for titans and forgotten beasts, I believe there are worldgen parameters.

The only thing that seems to be hardcoded is a population of 140 to attract your Monarch - fortresses start as an Outpost (in the Z-Status screen), then become a Hamlet at population 20 (at which point Managers have to do actual work, and when you'd originally get a Sheriff), a Village at population 50 (at which point you'd normally get a Mayor and Captain of the Guard), a Town at population 80 (one of the Barony requirements from 40d), a City at population 110 (old requirement for County), and a Metropolis at population 140 (Duchy), and you can't get the Monarch until you've become a Metropolis (originally, this made sense because you'd also have a Duke by then, but those are no longer connected). I seem to recall that in 40d (and earlier), the Liaison's name matched your fortress's status (Outpost Liaison, Hamlet Liaison, ..., Metropolis Liaison), as well as your own Broker and Manager, though this no longer happens.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 05:57:18 pm by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Brandstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Come hug me bro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 06:04:38 pm »

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/D_init.txt This is where you can change the population cap. You can reduce the size of migrant waves by keeping your fortress value low, but as far as I know you can't directly modify the cap on migrant wave size. Take a look through the world Gen cookbook thread for embark help. There are some interesting things there.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 06:18:49 pm »

Many of the nobles can be tweaked, removed entirely, or replaced with new nobles.  Search around the wiki for things like "entity token" and "noble token".

Dwarfotaur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 06:29:26 pm »

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/D_init.txt This is where you can change the population cap. You can reduce the size of migrant waves by keeping your fortress value low, but as far as I know you can't directly modify the cap on migrant wave size. Take a look through the world Gen cookbook thread for embark help. There are some interesting things there.

How can I forcefully keep my fortress value low? Most of my wealth is in 'Other' so I wouldn't know what to get rid of.

Thanks for the .ini and tweaking tips. I've never manually edited DF yet, seems too confusing but nothing I can't learn.

Brandstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Come hug me bro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 07:16:07 pm »

Remember everything your dwarves produce counts as value. Cut back on extra food and booze, and only produce enough furniture, mine enough stone, and cut enough wood to get by. Housing all your dwarves in soil layers will mean less value from stone floors/walls. If you do mine stone watch out for and avoid gems and ores. If you do it right you can get as few as 2 dwarves per wave. You will still trigger the hard coded large wave, but that unavoidable and your measures should still limit it's size somewhat. This will mean a lot of idlers, but you can employ some of them as military.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2011, 07:18:13 pm »

I've found it's a self-producing problem.  Shields and weapons are pretty expensive, especially the nice steal stuff.  If you just wall yourself and remain agricultural, trading for bits of steel at a time and mining out stuff, then you can get a stockpile of steel ready and then spam out a few sets of equipment to have well-equiped soldiers.  It keeps you under the radar, since you have low wealth.  Otherwise, fancy dining rooms rack up value too.  Goblins don't go after poor, miserable dwarves, they go after the ones with platinum dining room tables.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2011, 07:37:58 pm »

The biggest things I do that impacts fortress wealth is: smoothing/engraving, and having excess cut and rough gems laying around as trading grist.

The problem will trying to live exactly at the intersection of the supply/demand curve is....situations arise which demand resources quickly. Namely, moods. But also Goblin attacks and breaking into the underground, ect...
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti