Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: One Heck of a Bug  (Read 670 times)

MickEfinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
One Heck of a Bug
« on: May 03, 2007, 04:11:00 am »

I'll keep this quick.

I was playing a Desert Haunted Map.
Some Giant Scorpions, no real problem.

Then came winter.

The River then was covered by thin ice. My First thought was to shrug, eh, it's winter.

But wait I thought, I have no river.

Nonsense says the combat log. (sorry bout the size, but it's a tiny png!)
  :D

So now I sit in a desert of snow, with former horses eating my few dwarves.

I am using no mods, no file manipulators, only a tileset from the forum for quite some time now (January at the least).

I am of course going to make a new world and try again. But I figured that this might be of some entertainment to you people. And of course the Toadster.

I'll make a copy of the entire game dir (minus the giant arse maps) and keep it in case someone wants to poke at it.

Thank you for your ear,

Mick E Finn

[edit: I see that I have at least one mule and horse alive, so it might not be the animals. But I did see nightwings spawn in the middle of my fort, directly upon some of my dwarves, the poor buggers.

As there were only two they might be something only two have, like a particular shoe or something. I dunno.

Oh and the nightwing warnings prior to the river ice was the one three crossbowers shot to death in front of my fortress.  That's why I was near the 'g' when the other two appeared inside the fortress.

It's past the late and is now very late.

I shall check posts in the morning.]

[ May 03, 2007: Message edited by: MickEfinn ]

[ May 03, 2007: Message edited by: MickEfinn ]

Jusal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: One Heck of a Bug
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2007, 08:39:00 am »

Well I suppose the text logs about the "river" covering with ice and so on in desert maps count as a common bug. It happens to me every time I play a desert map. In fact I even have to build some bridges to cross the non-existant river.

By the way I think this should be in the bug reports board, right?

Heliopios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2007, 09:25:00 am »

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2007, 10:39:00 am »

some deserts are non-scorching.  i've been on non-desert maps that never froze, because it stayed so hot all year.

the hot jungle was really nice, because it never snowed, always rained, and new plants and trees grew all year long for uninterupted harvesting.

but i think this may not be a bug.  i think your desert may just be colder than most, and maybe some nightwings snuck up on you or followed a dwarf or wandering cat back to base when you were not looking.

MickEfinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2007, 01:46:00 pm »

I'm sorry I didn't post this in the bug forums, but I wasn't sure if this was a bug or not. Admittedly I wasn't sure, so I thought it was safer to post in the general and get some feedback first.

I have played many a map on the desert, from scorching, all the way to freezing. This one was temparate I think. Never happened on any other desert maps though.

Secondly, there were two nightwings roaming tho map, one named, one not. the one shot to death was the named, and the non named is somewhere north.

The nightwings that appeared however, were an oddity. I had my 3 humble crossbowyers outside the front door on duty, and the dwarves were trying to clean up some of the mess when Bam! from behind they were hit.

I do have access to the chasm, could they have spawned there?

Basically since there is only one entrance, and my poor dwarves were hit from behind, AND it happened after the map went blue, I think it was something going boink! in the code.

So to ctonfirm, I should toss this in the bug pile, and not the "Pack of huge but unfortunate coincidences pile"?  No one else has had a desert go blue?

If so then it's off to the glue factory with this one.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2007, 05:39:00 pm »

ive had deserts snow, and turn white.  which might seem blueish to some.  does it display as "snow coverd sand" when you loo(k) at it?

if not, then that bits probababy a bug.  

as for the nightwings, they could have entered from any map edge and snuck around when you were not focused on them.  its possible they got past your guards and into the entranceway, and when you finally saw them it could have seemed like they came from behind.  basically, if you cant duplicate it, its going to be a hard one to track.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2007, 07:09:00 pm »

It might be pretended to be a glacier or something.  This won't happen now that I've changed how tiles are stored.  I think there are number of problems with sand in the version that's up.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

MickEfinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2007, 11:20:00 pm »

Thank Yee kindly Toady.

So if this was a bug, it's no longer possible to happen in the new version.

Again about the nightwings, they've always ran on the classic formula:

You see Dwarf = You eat Dwarf

I've never seen a nightwing violate good ol'  =  before. Have you been teaching nightwings how to be sneaky Toady?

Cause they passed a whole bunch of dwarves to bumrush the cleaners.

If it's a whole sneaky part of Toady's "hidden Fun Stuff" That's cool.

If it's part of a bug that can no longer happen in the future, that's also cool.

Everything is Cool then.

Thank you for your time.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2007, 10:40:00 pm »

It is usually because they chase an animal or something.  Sometimes they can be very singleminded about it.  Nightwings should only come in from the outdoor edge of the map.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!