Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: The Solar Neighborhood Project. (Collaborative Worldbuilding project)  (Read 8673 times)

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
Re: The Solar Neighborhood Project. (Collaborative Worldbuilding project)
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2011, 12:35:23 pm »

Well, I like hard sci fi, but I like it diamond hard so I'll think before jumping in.

I feel the same, but I find it hard to justify the fiction part with diamond science :D

What DM1471 said!

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2011, 12:35:59 pm »

Specialty: Able to RP quite well given my experience, a basic understanding of politics and economics (basic mind) and able to go way off in describing things.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2011, 12:36:43 pm »

Initial mapping and history building.
...Basically anything to start a project. Yes, it's an infuriating speciality.

Method I propose: We do call dibs on something we want, as in systems/specie, and if the rest agrees, solo work.
Well, that sounds okay, though what I was hoping to do was create an open civilization (perhaps with a few subcultures seeing as they'd be spread across the galaxy), which then people could then add their ideas to as long as it doesn't break my initial idea.
That way, I've made my mark, and it remains my mark... But I don't have to micromanage it then.

Also, note that civilizations (cultures) <> species.
Well, yes. If there are ~200 stars, we're going to need a large number of inhabitants... 5 species may work, but 5 civilizations certainly would not.

Well, I like hard sci fi, but I like it diamond hard so I'll think before jumping in.
If I am participating in this, then I'd quite like what I do to be "diamond" hard! ...If only so that I could boast about being able to keep it strait and narrow.

Though, faster than light travel is going to be a big issue, I foresee!
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2011, 12:38:35 pm »

Specialty: Able to RP quite well given my experience, a basic understanding of politics and economics (basic mind) and able to go way off in describing things.
Like I've said before, the RP is only one possibility.

Method I propose: We do call dibs on something we want, as in systems/specie, and if the rest agrees, solo work.
Well, that sounds okay, though what I was hoping to do was create an open civilization (perhaps with a few subcultures seeing as they'd be spread across the galaxy), which then people could then add their ideas to as long as it doesn't break my initial idea.
That way, I've made my mark, and it remains my mark... But I don't have to micromanage it then.

Well, yes. If there are ~200 stars, we're going to need a large number of inhabitants... 5 species may work, but 5 civilizations certainly would not.

If I am participating in this, then I'd quite like what I do to be "diamond" hard! ...If only so that I could boast about being able to keep it strait and narrow.

Wormholes! Alcubierre Drives!

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2011, 12:41:02 pm »

I don't think I have a specialty, I'm not extremely good at RP but I can do it. I've studied history all my life and am doing a degree in it. I take an interest in politics. I'm a big sci-fi buff though, so :D

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2011, 12:41:51 pm »

That'll explain same-species cultural differences due to the unstable nature of them. (please correct me if I'm wrong)

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2011, 12:45:32 pm »

My opinion on long range space travel has always been 'Alienesque'. The use of sleeper tubes while en route to a destination going at very sub-light speeds. I have seen that we are already testing cryostasis and related trappings, so it seems the only hard scientific way for long range travel to me.
I don't foresee having an engine sufficient enough in thrust power with a safety/counterbalance mechanism as to not effect the orbit of spatial bodies, not even considering orbital installations, but planets, and still get enough thrust to move.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 12:48:09 pm by Deadmeat1471 »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2011, 12:46:47 pm »

As a bit of a segue, I want to point out that the fact that the majority of the stars near earth probably don't have colonizable planets is not a serious problem in hard sci fi.  Hard sci fi, unlike space opera, doesn't have any real reasons why an interstellar culture would feel the need to settle on planets instead of mining asteroids and building habitats in space.

FTL on the other hand is a rather problem to tackle.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2011, 12:50:26 pm »

I'm not particularly interested in intelligent species and technology, but I think I'd enjoy things like generating some basic planets (including uninhabited ones) and populating them with flora, fauna, and other such things. I also enjoy designing things like abandoned ruins and literature which can be pieced together to tell a story. But I don't know if that's the kind of thing you're looking for.

Anyway, count me tentatively in with a minor role. I have a pretty well-rounded education. My strongest points are language, linguistics, anthropology, and basic natural resource science (as in, the balance of natural forces and resources, not physics, biology, etc.). I also have background in world religions, many foreign languages, cartography, and general history and literature. I've been told I'm a good writer since I was very young, so throw in writing skill as well I guess.

Something Evil

• Bay Watcher
  • Allignment: Neutral Predatory
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2011, 12:51:12 pm »

Rules of engagement: First, Vorthon makes a list of folk taking part in this. Then, we vote for the generalites: no. of species, number of prominent cultures (there are always more sub-groups, and you can make some up on the fly for plot-related reasons if need be), ease of space travel, so on.

Sounds good?
Quote from: Vector
In a world with so many hydras, who am I to throw away my extra swords?
Quote from: Encased in burning magma
THIS UNDEAD THREAD SHALL BE WOVEN INTO UNDEAD SOCKS
Quote from: ragnarok97071
Hot Chocolate is like Dakka. You can never have enuff of it, and you should try not to drop it on your pants.
Quote from: Burnt Pies
Soon I shall be fluent in Box, including obscure dialects such as Pyramid, Sphere and Japanese.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2011, 12:53:39 pm »

maniac: Are you in or not?

And SE: Good plan.

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2011, 12:55:25 pm »

Sounds good.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2011, 12:57:00 pm »

It's good.

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2011, 01:00:41 pm »

Lol @ all Sappho's specialities.

6. Sappho|language, linguistics, anthropology, basic natural resource science, world religions, many foreign languages, cartography, general history, literature, writing skill.

Put mine down as Social Sciences/Politics.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 01:02:42 pm by Deadmeat1471 »

Something Evil

• Bay Watcher
  • Allignment: Neutral Predatory
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2011, 01:01:59 pm »

Lol @ Sappho's specialities. Put mine down as Social Sciences/Politics.

We got lucky; they're just the thing for fleshing out civs.
Quote from: Vector
In a world with so many hydras, who am I to throw away my extra swords?
Quote from: Encased in burning magma
THIS UNDEAD THREAD SHALL BE WOVEN INTO UNDEAD SOCKS
Quote from: ragnarok97071
Hot Chocolate is like Dakka. You can never have enuff of it, and you should try not to drop it on your pants.
Quote from: Burnt Pies
Soon I shall be fluent in Box, including obscure dialects such as Pyramid, Sphere and Japanese.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7