Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Danger Room too full?  (Read 1519 times)

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
Danger Room too full?
« on: February 02, 2011, 09:02:18 pm »

My danger room is 1X1 and I have 23 military dwarves all using the same danger room. However, just recently I've noticed that they all seem to teleport out of the room when too many dwarves get inside. Is this normal and what does this mean to our beloved dwarven physics?

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
Re: Danger Room too full?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 09:15:37 pm »

I don't know, but 22 of them must be lying prone and be hit with one training spear... maybe the game doesn't know what to do with that?

...I'd just obtain a larger room.
Giant badgers are cruel saddistic balls of fur and hate. Did anyone know they could paint a wall with a single dwarven baby?.... You know what, I made the Giant badgers sound like sane DF players.
A Kea has stolen a coke!

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 09:16:33 pm »

How did you make a 1-square barracks? Or did you just order your army to move to that square? If they were ordered to go there/stationed there, then they might shift from their positions a bit instead of just standing on the same square.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 09:19:11 pm »

I have an armor stand locked behind an internal door so my military dwarves can't stand on it, thus avoiding the repeating spear trap. So technically it's a 3X1 training barracks, but one tile is a locked door and another is an armor stand nobody can reach. Hey, is it possible that all on my dwarves keep dodging out of the room?

I'll try making a danger room for each squad and see how it goes.

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 09:21:48 pm »

I have to agree with that forcing 23 dwarves to station in the same spot is probably impossible.

Would a 6x4 room hurt your mechanism and wood stockpiles that much?

EDIT: Well, hurr. Yes, dwarves will be training their Dodger skill in the room. If it involves jumping away, they will.
Giant badgers are cruel saddistic balls of fur and hate. Did anyone know they could paint a wall with a single dwarven baby?.... You know what, I made the Giant badgers sound like sane DF players.
A Kea has stolen a coke!

Marthnn

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything's possible
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 09:24:49 pm »

I once walled a big part of the surface, with only selected spot open and full of weapon traps (like 5 spiked balls and 5 serrated discs each, green glass I think). Like this :

Code: [Select]
  #
  #
  #
#####
^^^^^
#####
  #
  #

Then one ettin or cyclop came by, took the path, received 20 attacks at once and... jumped/teleported up to FIVE tiles away, sometimes even on the other side of the wall. It happened repeatedly, reliably, with goblins too. I'd guess it's related to dodging many attacks at the same time.
Marthnn likes obsidian, steel, star ruby, goblin-cap wood, the color bloody red and giant desert scorpions for their tails. When possible, he prefers to consume sunshine. He absolutely detests cave blobs.

A dwarf wants to heal.  A dwarf is motivated to heal.  A dwarf is, by Armok, going to heal or die trying!  Because if he doesn't heal, he doesn't get alcohol.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 09:26:21 pm »

Yeah, i think they are just dodging out of the room. Strange I never noticed it before.

noob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 09:30:31 pm »

isnt it that they cant dodge when being prone, forcing them to block with armor or parry?
LOSING IS FUN!

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2011, 09:47:54 pm »

I once walled a big part of the surface, with only selected spot open and full of weapon traps (like 5 spiked balls and 5 serrated discs each, green glass I think). Like this :

Code: [Select]
  #
  #
  #
#####
^^^^^
#####
  #
  #

Then one ettin or cyclop came by, took the path, received 20 attacks at once and... jumped/teleported up to FIVE tiles away, sometimes even on the other side of the wall. It happened repeatedly, reliably, with goblins too. I'd guess it's related to dodging many attacks at the same time.

So in other words, we have invented Dwarven Teleporters? With enough dwarves and weapon traps, could we instantaneously transport dwarves through tiles of solid granite?
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2011, 09:52:32 pm »

And elves into liquid magma.

Slade Beds

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2011, 10:51:00 pm »

When monsters dodge they sometimes "jump out of the way" and that moves them to a different adjacent square.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2011, 11:57:42 pm »

Astounding...  I must abuse this dodge function post-haste.  I know that they'll dodge a single tile, but I didn't know that multiple simultaneous dodges would cause sudden, confusing teleportation.  I may have thought up a better way for my men to venture forth into the caverns.  Anyone who enters will already be armored and perfectly trained!

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2011, 03:17:31 am »

And elves into liquid magma.
You, sir, are a GENIUS!!!!

How many training spears did you use in the trap, by the way?  If "multi-dodging" is what causes the teleportation, then I would expect that the more spears that pop-up and attack with each lever-pull the more dodging there would be.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

Vodrilus

• Bay Watcher
  • Has been forced to endure NaNoWriMo failure.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2011, 04:24:05 am »

Ah, the look on the elf's face when he/she/it dodges those 10... training spears? and teleports straight into the waste incinerator system.
Going backwards in reversed time (just like everybody else).

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2011, 10:40:37 am »

So let me see if I have this right:

If you dodge, you teleport to a random adjacent square. If you dodge multiple times in the same instant, you can teleport further.

I hypothesize that there must be a walkable path from the source to the destination.
Pages: [1] 2